Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am new to 24hourcampfire, so I'd like to say Hello!

I am interested in the Weatherby Mark V Ultra-Lightweight. I've been lugging a Winchester M70 around and I'm interested in a rifle that is lighter to carry in steep country. With that, I also want something with a full length barrel to get as much velocity as I can out of the cartridges I am considering, the 270 Winchester and 280 Remington.

Does anyone have one of these rifles or any experience with them? The barrels are pretty light, so I'm curious about how accurate they are. I'm also curious about how the light weight of the rifle affects shooting from the field. Thanks for any responses guys!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hi Dan, welcome to the fire! You just opened a can of worms! Weatherby fans or, well, fanatic. Same thing with the .270 and .280, though eveyone knows the .280 is best! smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess there is no better way to get started than start some hate and discontent! J/K. They seem like great rifles. I've considered other light-weight rifles like the Remington M700 Alaskan Ti, the Kimber 8400 Montana, NULA, etc. Seems like the Weatherby is priced fairly reasonably for what it is.

I really do like the 280 Remington. I also like the 270 Winchester. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like your wanting custom rifle performance from a factory gun. I'd say a Weatherby is pretty good way to do that. Of course, now the Sako guys will get offended (they're even more "ate up" than the Weatherby guys!).

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Mark V Deluxe and it is a fine, accurate rifle. I have no experience with the Ultra lightweight. I have seen postings where they are hit or miss on accuracy but Weatherby does have a 1.5" guarantee. I have a 270 and 280 and it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. I have been considering the Ultra in 300 Roy for my next Weatherby.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned an Ultralight in 300 Weatherby and was really disappointed with the accuracy. The first shot was excellent, the next ones were the trouble makers! However, a Mark V (I prefer the ones made in Japan) with the 24" barrel, slipped into a nice light synthetic stock won't weigh much.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a left-hand 270 Wby in an Ultralight with a 26� barrel that I put in a Deluxe stock with a 4.5-14x50 leupold, leupold rings and bases weighs in around 8 # could have shaved weight with a lighter scope, rings, bases and kept the original stock on it.

That said it shoots 130 tsx�s at .75 clocking 3525fps that�s the only load I worked up for this rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own 2 of them a 338-06 and 280 Rem, both are very accurate and I can get under 1" with good handloads and time to let the barrel cool a little. Friends liked the 338-06 so much, one bought a ULW in 270 the other one in 300 Win mag. Both shoot very well also. These guns actually converted me from a lever action guy to a bolt guy. They are very well balanced, carry well and with a 2x7 Leupold weigh just about 7 lbs. I swear by them.

As for the 270 or 280, i'll stay out of that fray but you see which one I own.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My neighbor got a Weatherby 280 for Christmas, and wants
to go to the range with me in a couple of days. I havent
seen it yet, hopefully on Friday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had Weatherby ULW rifles in 30-06 and 25-06. Each would shoot well under 1" groups after having the triggers adjusted, barrels floated and actions bedded. I think they are terrific rifles and didn't find them difficult to shoot in the field. And, I've owned a lot of the "better" light weights, including NULA, Kimber, Remington Ti.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have owned:
Wby Mark V Ultra Light 280 Remington
Wby Mark V Accumark 280 Remington

Still own:
Wby Mk V 7mm Weatherby Magnum

Just got back from the range about two hours ago. Chronoe'd 140 A Frames at 3400 fps with one hole grouping. And, 120 Tipped TSX at 3650 fps with 3/8" grouping.

I sold both of my 280's because I prefer my 7 Wby. Both of the 280's were 1" guns. I work with several guys who own the Wby UL's and they all love them.

To be honest, the UL's accuracy can be hit or miss but I have yet to see one miss.

PICK the 280 !!!!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some find them a bit heavy and seem to snicker at the 9-lugged action. I personally love the action and think that they're a mobile bank vault!! I too prefer the Howa made Mark Vs as they appear to reflect the proud quality control you find with many Japanese products. I have handled the ULWs, but never shot one. It's like all the rest, if you want one....get one!

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own and use 4 Weatherby's (240, 257, 270, and 30-378 in an Accumark). I'd suggest a 257. I'd just avoid heating the barrel up if one is going light weight. A wonderful Hells Canyon cartridge.

I live in eastern Oregon, and have had some bedding issues as my Weatherby stocks have dried and moved a bit for a couple of years. I love the warmth and character of wood, however, and am more than willing to rectify those issues. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/08.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ballistic Gack 101 should require everyone to look into what the 270 WBY can do with a high BC 130-140gr bullet out to 500 yards!!! AMAZING!

WAR EAGLE!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Some find them a bit heavy and seem to snicker at the 9-lugged action. I personally love the action and think that they're a mobile bank vault!!

I agree. Mine weighs 8.2 lbs ready to hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 338-06 Super big game master (UL) --Love it so much , I bought another... See my Signature line!

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have an Accu-Mark RC in 270 Weatherby. The way it's made it doesnt have much recoil. I want one in the new 6.5 x300. It should be a hell of a deer rifle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
I have an Accu-Mark RC in 270 Weatherby. The way it's made it doesnt have much recoil. I want one in the new 6.5 x300. It should be a hell of a deer rifle.

I'm betting the OP made his decision close to 8 years ago.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a couple of 30-06 UL's, both shoot good and are a joy to carry. I had a 270 WBY UL but it kicked pretty hard and went down the road!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not a Wby fan, per se. I have one Mk V with a 7RM #2 Brux in a McWoody Express and Timney trigger. Great gun.

One thing about the Mk V. To me it's one of the fastest cycling bolt guns ever. With the slick action and 60* bolt throw, it really can run fast in the right hands.

The nine lug Mk V is a big heavy action, not one I'd use for a LW gun. Maybe the six lug version with pencil barrel and light weight stock...

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The nine lug Mk V is a big heavy action, not one I'd use for a LW gun. Maybe the six lug version with pencil barrel and light weight stock...

DF

The 6-lug action is pretty slick, but the 9-lug isn't too bad. My LH Ultralight in 270 WBY weighs right at 8 pounds with a VX2 3-9 in Talley ring mounts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Save some $$ and buy a Vanguard S2. Every Vanguard I've owned was more accurate than the Mark V's I owned.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cons:

Grossly over priced

Heavy

Numerous Mechanical issues

Ammo is über expensive, and Freudian by nature.

Pro:

You'll be the envy of every one else in the trailer court.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Cons:

Grossly over priced

Heavy

Pro:

Jorge will love it. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cons:

Grossly over priced ... nope I paid $600 for a SS Fibermark in 280, $900 for a Deluxe in 7-08 and $700 for a MkV Sporter in 300 WBY (all new)

Heavy (not that bad, the 280 is 7# with a FX-II 6x, the Deluxe is a little under 8# with a FX-III 6x and the Sporter is 9.5# with a M8 6x42 (I'm wimpy, I would not want it much lighter)

Numerous Mechanical issues -- None

Pro:

You'll be the envy of every one else in the trailer court. King of the Trailerhood am I!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cons:

If you don't mind would you list three or four, please?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pick any one you like, or any three or four. Whilst working in a gunshop that was also a Weatherby Authorized repair center we saw everything.....in fact we saw it to such an extent our gunsmiths weren't able to work on anything else, and we bailed out of the Weatherby Authorized service business.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by avagadro
Cons:

Grossly over priced ... nope I paid $600 for a SS Fibermark in 280, $900 for a Deluxe in 7-08 and $700 for a MkV Sporter in 300 WBY (all new)

Heavy (not that bad, the 280 is 7# with a FX-II 6x, the Deluxe is a little under 8# with a FX-III 6x and the Sporter is 9.5# with a M8 6x42 (I'm wimpy, I would not want it much lighter)

Numerous Mechanical issues -- None

Pro:

You'll be the envy of every one else in the trailer court. King of the Trailerhood am I!

Yeah buttttt....my point was basically anything with a $ sign next to it is grossly overpriced for a Weatherby.... shocked

Jorge is gonna love the hate.... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Most accurate rifles I've ever owned.
Handles don't fall off, extractors don't break and the safety not only works, but locks the bolt as well and the 54 deg bolt throw is fast , strong and smooth. Superb fit and finish.
There's a reason as to why successful people own them

Cons:
Ammo is expensive, but reloading mitigates this.
democrats resent you smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 08/03/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If my extractor worked, and if my bolt handle didn't fall off and if my safety didn't fire the gun every time I turned it off, I'd show you a real accurate rifle in my Remmy.... grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This thread was started 8 years ago.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Pro's: You could sell it to a Cuban an make a mint

Con's: Everything else

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

And Weatherbys still suck Donkey Balls....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

And Weatherbys still suck Donkey Balls....
At least Weatherby does not offer a 6.8 Rem. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
700 user :
[Linked Image]

Weatherby user:
[Linked Image]

I was going to post a picture of myself but decided against it as it would really skew the message smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
700 user:

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
By direction..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah, he's bitching about being saddled with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody's ever disputed their accuracy, and by the time a 700 becomes an M-40, they've addressed all the maladies 700s come with. In other words, there's a reason why there is an entire cottage industry revolving around "improving" the 700.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've shot more than a few rounds out of MkV rifles without issue, being an owner of two for over thirty years and having access to my father's which I shot a bunch in times past. No problems.

I've also shot many thousands of rounds from 700's over an even longer time span. Within arms reach are the record books of three of them whose summed round counts come to about ten thousand. Not a hitch yet. There are more but they aren't handy.

I see this as comparable to a Ford/Chevy/Dodge type of thing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by mathman

More like a Ford/Lincoln thing. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

If you mean additional frilly stuff that doesn't operationally improve things, then maybe so. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't have an issue with that POV at all..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a mark v deluxe in 300 wby and an accumark in 270wby. Not sure why I own them. Way too heavy for my use. They both function flawlessly and are 1 inch groupers. Barrels are 26 inch which is too long for my preference. Both are beautiful build rifles but my tastes have changed since I bought them. I dont particulary care for the stock design and prefer a more straight comb. I never had a 6 lug or one that wasnt a magnum in my hands so I cant say if I woukd like one of those.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

If you mean additional frilly stuff that doesn't operationally improve things, then maybe so. grin

Figured that one was coming. laugh

I went through the "no-frills" minimalist thing with 700's in my youth. These days, I appreciate a few more frills.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When I was twenty I bought MkV's, now I'm fifty and a heavy majority 700 shooter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you must enjoy driving Yugos then smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I've also shot many thousands of rounds from 700's over an even longer time span. Within arms reach are the record books of three of them whose summed round counts come to about ten thousand. Not a hitch yet.

As long as this is still going on, I might as well jump back in. grin

I have a number of 700s and one in particular is on its third barrel ( takes 10-12K rounds to burn out the barrel)...and the current one has just over 8K on it. Im still waiting for the extractor to break, the bolt to fall off, or the rifle to start shooting as soon as I turn the safety.

Very disappointing so far...just boring.

Id love to see...or hear of a Weatherby on its third barrel with nearly 30K rounds through it...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
700 user :
[Linked Image]

Weatherby user:
[Linked Image]

I was going to post a picture of myself but decided against it as it would really skew the message smile

Wow!

Is that an archives photo of Swampy with his azz shot dink?

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And....his skookum golf cart...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I do have a 257 on it's second barrel, but nowhere near a 30K round count. Probably closer to 5K. I've never had any issues with the over one dozen Weatherbys I've owned, suffice to say I am SURE there's been a few lemons out there.
That said there is no disputing, as reported by the likes of Don Heath and many others, of issues with Remington's thin extractors that are prone to failure (a guy who used to post here under AFP and a big 700 fan for instance) reported a few extractor failures as did Mr. Heath. One need only go as far as this forum to read bona-fide bolt handle separation stories (personally I've only seen ONE), and the trigger/safety issue is not only a matter of record, but litigations are legion and one never hears of any other brand other than 700s. Those issues are factual. Does that keep me from owning them? hell no, although I only own just one, a 22-250 that gets plenty of use on Ground Hogs at our place in PA.

Does the fact it's a push feed bother me? obviously not. So what's left? Looks for one, and I absolutely loathe the looks of Remington's bolt handle knob as well as the Hurst-Shifter look of the safety and lastly and perhaps the worst peccadillo of all, is the fact the safety will not lock the handle. So aside from the non-bolt locking safety issue, it boils down to looks and feel and yes I understand PERFECTLY if people hate the look of a Weatherby, but put them aside for a moment and compare a 700 to a Model 70 or an old Browning Safari Grade and well, the difference in form, fit and functionality as a HUNTING rifle, is not even close. My opinion, that's all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is a Blonde/redhead/brunette thing for sure. And we know you like flashy blondes wink

And Im scared schitless of redheads... eek

So on it goes....

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a Blonde/redhead/brunette thing for sure. And we know you like flashy blondes wink

So on it goes....

I got one with a bad chamber once....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RWE

So on it goes....

I got one with a bad chamber once....

Chatter marks or too deep? laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Even money the haters will chime in soon...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Speaking of, what ever happened to Swampy, haven't seen one of his posts in quite a while.

Is he still fighting Yankees down in Florida, or is he languishing somewhere in a Yankee POW camp?

I thought about him recently, working on a nice 7mm-08 project.

As I recall, Swampy declared the 7-08 won't kill WT's. I need his load data... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cons:

Grossly over priced

Heavy

Pro:

It's worth commenting on an 8 year-old thread just to repeat that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Speaking of, what ever happened to Swampy, haven't seen one of his posts in quite a while.

[Linked Image]

He must've moved to Montana, on account of he's wearing ingwe's hat and all....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

[Linked Image]

He must've moved to Montana, on account of he's wearing ingwe's hat and all....

I hate to inquire about that infamous Leopard garment... shocked

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
700 user :
[Linked Image]

The infamous 8 year old dink, too smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

The .300 Ultralights definitely have their own personality smirk Been working on this one off and on for a while. The last group out of it was not too bad; at some point I need to either chit can the barrel or keep working on load development.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
8 twist Bartlein in 7 Mash Super, Nightforce 20 moa base, 2.5-10 Nightforce compact w/zero stop! grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
8 twist Bartlein in 7 Mash Super, Nightforce 20 moa base, 2.5-10 Nightforce compact w/zero stop! grin

laugh

Ain't it fun, spending another guy's money... grin

Sounds like you're spending it pretty well... cool

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, If you're gonna go DF, may as well take a load with ya on the way! grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But....but... I thought Wet Herbys were akrit.......

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laughlaugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
But....but... I thought Wet Herbys were akrit.......

You do know what I was doin in Tejas at the bench with my Sharps dontcha?

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No...I don't....

Was it something you can share on a family friendly site? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ultralights in 300 seem to have their share of accuracy issues, whilst all calibers below have done very well in the accuracy department. I thought about getting one in a 240, but I break out in hives at the thought of plastic stocks smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I want Gunner to get a synthetic stock for his Sharps.

But Im afraid to tell him.... eek

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Sharps, eh, but as long as it's not one of his doubles, I'll maintain a modicum of composure....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No...I don't....

Was it something you can share on a family friendly site? grin

LOL, you got one inch of left wind drift at 200 yards with your 243 Super-Snuffer, I got four inches left with my Sharps.

A 12" gong at 200 yards of course looks like a big clock, my sights are correlated to hit 4"s high or one third of the clock at 200 with a 6 o'clock hold, my 200 yard target was dead center 6 o'clock hold, both bullets went off the gong at 8 o'clock, so in explanation, my 200 yard target was only a 4" sliver of cheese, not the whole wheel, I needed to see what the wind did at that elevation and humidity level. grin

And I really wanted to tell you why I didn't hit the 200 yard gong.................................twice.laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ultralights in 300 seem to have their share of accuracy issues, whilst all calibers below have done very well in the accuracy department. I thought about getting one in a 240, but I break out in hives at the thought of plastic stocks smile

I've heard about your syn stock affliction. laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
700 user :
[Linked Image]

The infamous 8 year old dink, too smirk

And the backwards sling is also a nice touch in a retard sort of way....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll have a hand rolled turd in hell for you to toke on for that. shocked cool

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I'mve heard about a beneficiary of your syn stock affliction. laugh

fixed! smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, Yes I am. laugh

And thanks Jorge;]

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You have any pics of that 577 to share? You know, we shoot hook up in Texas w Ingwe one of these days and terrorize the hog/axis population one of these days.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
PM me a cell number Jorge, I'll fire ya off a couple pics of that 577, and yes, I will go as far as buying another freezer for more axis meat, it is really that good, have you had the pleasure?

Poobs has the hotline on axis slaughter locale. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd stay a good 800 yards out when you send that message. eek

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The .300 Ultralights definitely have their own personality smirk Been working on this one off and on for a while.

84.5 gr Imr 7828 & 180 Accubond has been a go-to load for the 300 Wby's I've worked up. Only one was happier at 83.5.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM me a cell number Jorge, I'll fire ya off a couple pics of that 577, and yes, I will go as far as buying another freezer for more axis meat, it is really that good, have you had the pleasure?

Yes, Jorge is familiar with Axis. grin A few years ago on Canyon Ranch

[Linked Image]

And my brother and me with ours.

[Linked Image]

Axis is well worth traveling for!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have any pics of that 577 to share? You know, we shoot hook up in Texas w Ingwe one of these days and terrorize the hog/axis population one of these days.

Check for loose teeth before and after shooting that 577, though it is lovely...

crazy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Pugs

I'd stay a good 800 yards out when you send that message. eek

BWAHAHAHA, I was raised to respect my elders. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hell Yeah Pugs, that will work, do you agree on my culinary recommendation for Axis venison as being the near World Champ?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Check for loose teeth before and after shooting that 577, though it is lovely...

crazy

LMAO Tex.laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll guess you have noticed we've been spending YOUR money today?

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

you have my number but PM sent. Yeah, I hooked Poobs up with a great axis outfit

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Jorge, have a quick call in a bit, then I'll get em to ya. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly axis deer have been killed across the road from my low fence lease, it would add a nice bit of variety to the freezer, even if not trophies smile

I'm not sure if this guy would be worth eating...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

you have my number but PM sent. Yeah, I hooked Poobs up with a great axis outfit

You guys get serious about this, let me know...I can be talked into an axis trip with big Mike at the drop of a hat...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly axis deer have been killed across the road from my low fence lease, it would add a nice bit of variety to the freezer, even if not trophies smile

I'm not sure if this guy would be worth eating...

[Linked Image]

That bull looks like he has a pretty good grouch on.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell Yeah Pugs, that will work, do you agree on my culinary recommendation for Axis venison as being the near World Champ?

Well, backstrap like any other but I have to admit chicken fried Axis is one of my favorites!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pugs

Yes, Jorge is familiar with Axis. grin A few years ago on Canyon Ranch

[Linked Image]

And my brother and me with ours.

[Linked Image]

Axis is well worth traveling for!

Holy Schit...you "hard charging" Fence Hoppers,gawwdamned NEARLY could take a "Hero" pic,with the fence(s) outta focus.

Laffin'!

WhoreHey's Botox is runnin' greater than 90PSI in that "challenging" weather and you STUPID Fhuqks really stretch a fence.

Mebbe cite a cost,to them "satisfactions".

Laffin'!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

Stunt shooter....

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I see the "Father Of The Year" has shown up to dick up another thread. One of the crosses we have to bear when we gave the great unwashed the notion they were the same and now they go and get all uppity on us. But hey, maybe he'll regale us with the same retread pictures of his dink kills. Here's Stick after the misjudged the size of a gerbil and needed some help from his partner:

[Linked Image]

Now back to the party...

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This is more appropriate for boxer/big stick.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It is Friday and Alaska in -4 from us, so I'm figuring he's just collected his welfare check and halfway through his screw top libation.. He's the Herpes Simplex of the Fire though, he'll erupt again soon...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

You guys get serious about this, let me know...I can be talked into an axis trip with big Mike at the drop of a hat...

Shownuff Poobs! cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have all the Bees with the exception of the 338-378.

My new 6.5 Bee rocks

[Linked Image]

130 AB's at 3450

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The .300 Ultralights definitely have their own personality smirk Been working on this one off and on for a while. The last group out of it was not too bad; at some point I need to either chit can the barrel or keep working on load development.

83.5-84.5 gr Imr 7828 with 180's is your huckleberry.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
82.5gr of Reloader 23 under 180 Accubonds will put 3 in an inch at 100, from a cold barrel. Groups will open once the barrel warms up. Runs about 3180 fps. I'll probably tinker a bit more with the powder charge to see if it closes up a bit more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tex, I think the 300 Weatherby is too much for those thin, UL barrels to handle. You are not the only one with accuracy issues with that caliber. All others below the 300 have been great. J

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I suspect you are right smile However an inch at 100 is sure enough to kill an elk. It seems to be holding zero, from a cold barrel.

Unless further tuning improves it then I'll relegate it to backup duty this fall. Maybe next year have Pac-Nor match the contour, but omit the flutes.

B
B
Have never owned a Weatherby but I saw a post by a guy who might go to the range with a neighbor who owns one!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.