Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G

I bought what I thought was a brand new Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull this weekend at the Dallas Gun Show. When I went to shoot it at the range, it shot the 45 Long Colts I bought for target practice with no problem. When I shot the 454 Casull through it, the gun basically locked up. It has two actions necessary to flip open the cylinder and they were both locked up, apparently from heat. I could not pull the trigger back either. I had to put the gun down for about 5 minutes and then I was able to open the cylinder after it cooled off. After messing with it and shooting it for a while, I was able to get where I could shoot two in a row before opening up the gun. But, the casings won't eject like they are supposed to where you push on the plunger and it pushes out all 5 casings at once. Instead, I have to unscrew the knurled screw plunger for the ejector and use it to push the casings out one by one. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was stupid and did not even get the guys name at the gun show. I just gave him the money and away I went. Thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Send it to Taurus... When I stepped up to the 454, the Bull was what I was going to buy.. Till I had it in my hands, an things rattled as I shook it, locks seemed loose etc.. I opted for the Ruger Super Redhawk Never looked back... Now I think I my want an Alaskan....

Later..

G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yeah, I might have to do that. I was thinking about getting a Ruger initially myself. I read something on another sight saying they had to clean out their cylinders on the Raging Bull 500 after shooting shorter rounds previously which is exactly what I did shooting several of the 45 long colts without issue before shooting the 454's which got stuck in the cylinders. I've listed below what I was talking about.

"The Raging 500 functioned perfectly with all loads tested, except that extraction became sticky with the 350 grain Magnum load.� However, this only occurred after firing several of the shorter .500 Special cartridges without thoroughly cleaning the cylinder, which apparently raised chamber pressures somewhat. It is always a good idea to clean the chambers after firing shorter cartridges, before firing high pressure Magnums in the same chamber. Earlier firing of the same 350 grain loads extracted easily, so this little glitch was my fault, and is easily corrected. The Taurus never showed any signs of unwanted cylinder unlocking or rotation."

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Are you using factory 454 rounds or handloads? If handloads, your's or loaded by someone else? If factory loads, which ones?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
They were "included with the deal". Two boxes of ammo that the person I bought the gun from said cost $40 per box. The box they were in said "MagTech 454 Casull 260 grain". I never asked explicitly if they were handloads and just put in the box, but I had no reason to think that. Although, now I think that's what probably happened.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mauserkid
Now I think I my want an Alaskan....

I have one.. All I can say is, "HANG ON"... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Taurus Raging Bull is one of the stronger and more accurate revolvers out there. With the exception of about half (certainly not all) Freedom Arms revolvers, I�ve found the Raging Bull to consistently be the most accurate revolver out there. I have more experience with the .480 than the .454, but I�ve put some .454�s through a Raging Bull and never had a problem (other than sore hands). Something is obviously not right and I would recommend sending the revolver back to Taurus. If you can�t open the cylinder or extract the cartridges, I�d say you have an unsafe gun, and I�d recommend not shooting it anymore. Keep in mind, that�s 50kpsi in a HANDGUN; don�t push your luck

As for the cleaning the chamber thing: With the (what I call) super magnums, chamber specs are very critical to those guns working, and by that I mean very (very, very) tight cylinders. Any accumulation inside the cylinder SHOULD cause some minor chambering and extraction issues. The first batches of Rugers (honestly, I�m not sure if this ever got fixed; just assume it did) really had stiff extraction with full power .454 loads because the cylinder was found to be, ever so slightly, �flexing.� I�ve never heard of one coming loose, but the fact that the cylinder was flexing, should tell you the awesome power these revolvers are housing. Think about how much steel surrounds the chamber of a 50kpsi rifle, and then look at how little steel (accounting for the cylinder bolt notch), is surrounding your revolver chamber.

G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I appreciate the advice. It seems pretty rediculous to have to send the gun back to the manufacturer before I even made my first payment to the credit card purchase, but better safe than sorry. I know what you mean about sore hands. I really wish I would have just got a 44 mag 4" barrell Ruger which is what I intended on getting when I went to the gun show. I can see myself shooting 6 shots quick at a hog with a 44 mag. After two shots with the 454 if it didn't stop after the first, I would probably have to put the gun down to rest my hands. The way it jams, I would have to beat the hog with it after the first.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would clean thoroughly the cylinders first. Then go buy some actual factory ammo and try shooting it.

My guess is you have some crappy handloads given to you.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm thinking the guy you bought the gun from experienced the same issues with it that you did. I have no way of knowing but also would tend towards believing he didn't handload the ammo. Either way the issue is either with the gun or the ammo. Before I sent it back, I believe I would buy some different factory 454's (different mfr than what you have) and shoot them out of a clean cylinder to see what happens. If you still get the gun locking up, you will know it's not the ammo If it fires and extracts fine, pitch the loads he gave you and figure you're good.

I had a Raging Bull with chamber issues in the cylinder. It would not chamber all my handloads. Factory stuff ran fine in it but not my handloads. Some chambers would work fine and others were very tight. I took some of my "tight" ID'd handloads to the guy I bought the gun from and he tried them in another RB he had for sale. All my loads dropped right into his gun. So believing my issue was the spec's on the chambers, I sent it back to Taurus. It came back a few weeks later saying it was in tolerance and there was nothing they would do. I sold that one to a guy who didn't handload. I hated to because as Kevin mentions, that revolver was quite accurate.

Best of luck to ya!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That sounds good. Any recommendations on brand of ammo? What about cleaning the gun? I've never cleaned a revolver. Should I get some Gun Scrubber and just spray through the cylinders or is there a brush you use for them? For the barrell, I guess I should go get the brass brush for 45 or do they make one specifically for 454? Also, there is significant discoloration at the ports on the end of the barrell. Should I just wipe with gun scrubber? Just wondering.
Also, I notice when looking down on the top of the gun, the metal plate that is behind the cylinder looks weird. On the left side, it almost looks bent back. It definitely is angled back more than the right side. I talked to a guy at the gun range and he said this plate being angled back like that along with the deep groove in that same plate is to allow for the plunger pin on the extractor mechanism. That made sense as you could tell by looking at it that if the plate was not bent backwords and/or the groove did not exist, you would not be able to close the cylinder as the extractor pin would hit it. Does this stuff sound normal because I just wanted to make sure it was not experiencing any kind of blow back. Thanks.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The only factory 454 ammo I have shot was Winchester Supreme. It's pricey but should provide a good benchmark. Anything from the major mfr's such as Remington or Federal should work fine for you too.

Most any powder solvent will clean the cylinder, since there will be little to no copper build up there. I use Hoppe's Elite for the lighter jobs and Barnes CR10 for copper issues. I have always at least swabbed the chambers if not brushed them some. The solvent should take most of the residue off the porting area and some off the cylinder face and areas inside the frame. I use a yellow impregnated cloth, whose name now escapes me, to clean up the rest. It does a very good job and can clean off all the residue with a little elbo grease.

You could send in a pic of the left side but believe it is engineered that way for clearance in opening and closing the cyclinder like you had been told. I don't have one anymore for reference but others may chime in with better info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The Taurus Raging Bull is one of the stronger and more accurate revolvers out there. With the exception of about half (certainly not all) Freedom Arms revolvers, I�ve found the Raging Bull to consistently be the most accurate revolver out there. I have more experience with the .480 than the .454, but I�ve put some .454�s through a Raging Bull and never had a problem (other than sore hands). Something is obviously not right and I would recommend sending the revolver back to Taurus. If you can�t open the cylinder or extract the cartridges, I�d say you have an unsafe gun, and I�d recommend not shooting it anymore. Keep in mind, that�s 50kpsi in a HANDGUN; don�t push your luck

As for the cleaning the chamber thing: With the (what I call) super magnums, chamber specs are very critical to those guns working, and by that I mean very (very, very) tight cylinders. Any accumulation inside the cylinder SHOULD cause some minor chambering and extraction issues. The first batches of Rugers (honestly, I�m not sure if this ever got fixed; just assume it did) really had stiff extraction with full power .454 loads because the cylinder was found to be, ever so slightly, �flexing.� I�ve never heard of one coming loose, but the fact that the cylinder was flexing, should tell you the awesome power these revolvers are housing. Think about how much steel surrounds the chamber of a 50kpsi rifle, and then look at how little steel (accounting for the cylinder bolt notch), is surrounding your revolver chamber.

Kevin, actually the SAAMI spec is 62K!! CorBon has some loads that go 70K........yeehaw!

I have found SRHs to be very accurate out of the box as well. Afterall, they are Ruger's flagship revolver......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's also the chance that the previous owner fired .45 Colt through the revolver. Even a small amount of dirt left in the cylinder by the shorter case can cause some problems chambering or extracting the .454 Casull.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks. I'm going to the store to get new ammo and gun cleaner. I have read alot of good things about the Winchester Supreme ammo in addition to your comments.

G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
When you talk about the previous owner firing .45 Colt through this gun, are you making a distinction between .45 Colt and .45 Long Colt? The guy that sold me the gun recommended me buying some .45 Long Colt and shooting it through the gun first as it was cheaper and kicked less. He also said my son who is 12 years old could shoot those rounds which he did with no issue. I wonder if shooting the .45 Long Colts through the gun could be causing me the problems I am having.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If he did indeed shoot 45 Long Colt through the revolver, that almost certainly is your problem. It simply means the cylinder chambers are dirty and causing extraction issues. Clean well, then shoot some factory 454s to see how it goes.

The left side plate is supposed to have that curvature to it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Kevin, actually the SAAMI spec is 62K!! CorBon has some loads that go 70K........yeehaw!

I have found SRHs to be very accurate out of the box as well. Afterall, they are Ruger's flagship revolver......
Whit-

Thanks for the clarification. I really can�t tell you why I had 50K on the brain. Yehaw indeed!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If he did indeed shoot 45 Long Colt through the revolver, that almost certainly is your problem. It simply means the cylinder chambers are dirty and causing extraction issues. Clean well, then shoot some factory 454s to see how it goes.

The left side plate is supposed to have that curvature to it.
That would explain the hard extraction; but it doesn't expalin his inability to open the cylinder; that concerns me.

G
Greg64 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Okay, thanks for the clarification on the curvature of the metal plate behind the cylinder. As far as the Long Colts go, even Taurus' website owner's manual says it's okay to shoot 45 Long Colts through the 454 Casull. Are you saying it's best not to period, or that if I do to make sure and clean it real well before shooting the 454's through it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,078
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.