Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I bought some LC LR 03 308 brass from someone on this sight. It is suppossed to be 1X fired. In trying to resize this brass it resizes fine until the case is about 1/8 of an inch from being fully in the die. I have tried 3 different lubes, hornaday, powdered graphite and lanolin. I am using a lyman die that I have resized probably 1000 cases with within the last 2 years. I have also tried 2 different presses, RCBS rock chuker and an old cast iron Herters press. I have adjusted the die as well and nothing seems to work.

When I have been able to get the case in the die, it does resize and does chamber in my savage Model 12. It requires so much force I am starting to worry about breaking my reloading bench. Think old wood and a 286 lb human.

What is going on here? Has the brass been stretched alot in front of the base? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks
DR

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Imperial die wax.Rick.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Imperial die wax.Rick.

What is that? What does it do? Where can I get it?

BTW, how are you? I am the guy that came by your house about a year ago on my way back from Charleston.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells, Sinclair, midway, Midsouth and local vendors. It is a very small round tin of slick as owl snot wax. A little between your thumb and forefinger, and give the brass a twirl. Make sure to never skip lubing all the way down to the head of the brass. I am convinced that missing that step will cause brass to stick in your die more than any other reason, besides not lubing at all. Found this out the HARD way.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another endorsement of Imperial sizing die wax. I've used everything else, this stuff is the BEST! And yes, get it all the way down to the head.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes, especially if you "need" to get the brass - especially military surp- sized in order to fit, you may need to get a small base die (like the excellent one Redding sells). Another really fine lube for difficult brass is the red stuff made by Rooster Labs for reforming brass. It's sticky but works very well. (I have even been able to squeeze mil-surp brass down using the lightweight little RCBS Partner press with the combo.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Quickly check to see if the primer pockets snugly hold primers.

It is remotely possible that the cases were fired at high pressure. This will expand the case head, and make it difficult to reform the brass.

The pocket actually stretches more than the case head, so checking primer pockets may be the fast way to test.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another +1 for Imperial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may be 1X fired, but that was probably full auto based on the problems you are having resizing them.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
crisco is all i use now.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 more on Imperial die wax. Its now sold and owned by Redding. Good stuff.

The problem you have is what others have mentioned, that brass was most likely fired the first time in a machine gun of some sort. Machine guns aren't known to have nice and tight "Match" grade chambers, and full auto fire tends to make things a little looser yet once they heat up. All the military cares is that it goes bang once. This is also why military 308 brass is quite a bit thicker at the head than most commercial brass and requires a reduction in powder charge. Other than that, welcome to the world of cheap shoots wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does military .308 brass have a crimpted in chamber?

The priming punch could be hitting the primer, not allowing the brass to go all the way in.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the advice guys. The Imperial wax will be ordered tomorrow.

The guy has edited his add and no longer shows the brass. I am guessing it was shot in an M-14.

No crimped in primers, besides I deprimed before resizing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds more like some brass fired from an M-60. You may want to be sure that it has not been stretched too much. This is where case head seperations become a possibility.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I remember you stopping by the house, think you got some primers from me. I think the Imperial will solve your problem, if not send me a few cases and I will try to help.Rick.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Are you depriming prior to resizing? Your problem is occurring about where depriming would occur.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ricksmith
I remember you stopping by the house, think you got some primers from me. I think the Imperial will solve your problem, if not send me a few cases and I will try to help.Rick.

Yep that was me.

Depriming is not the issue. I believe this stuff may have been fired in an M-14 and been stretched.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Imperial die wax will make the resizing as easy as possible.
Military (thick) brass will take more force to resize.
With Imperial you will not stick cases.
Good luck!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If it's LR brass I doubt it's been fired in a 60 or a 240. I would try to add a little more lube. I used to use brass that was fired out of machine guns for throw away stuff, and I would use extra lube to resize.
LR brass, at least what I use, doesn't have a crimped primer.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The spray on lube will stick cases for sure.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you have a 45acp carbide die remove the decapping rod and run your brass through it first. It will only squeeze the web area of your brass.
+1 on the resizing wax.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
K
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
If you have a 45acp carbide die remove the decapping rod and run your brass through it first. It will only squeeze the web area of your brass.

Hey, that's a good tip - will remember that one.

Haven't tried the Imperial, but Hornady /Unique/ case lube has worked better for me than any other case lube on military brass. Great online reviews as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Imperial Sizing Die Wax

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Stuck cases and difficult resizing were a problem for brass fired in my M1A. Replacing the spray lube with Hornady Unique lube fixed the former; Rockchucker fixed the latter.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Just got a couple cans Imperial. Works great on those LC cases.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Ha! An old thread but since somebody else posted...

Tried most of the mentioned lubes, but another stands head and shoulders above the others.

CFL-56 Case forming gel from Meister Bullets. After you are worn out and fixing to pop an artery - try some (you'll go WTF!) I'd estimate at least 50% less effort.

I won't use anything else to process cases for my M1A.

Meister Bullets

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I will try some, have 2000 more LC 308 cases

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Youper
I may be 1X fired, but that was probably full auto based on the problems you are having resizing them.

Youper beat me to it. Semi or full-auto chambers are looser than a Savage model 12 (or any bolt gun for that fact). That is why they make the small base full length resizing dies.

And +1 on the Imperial die wax. Its the only stuff I've use for many a year.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I got that 1000 308's done. That should take me out. I have around 3000 ready to load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
+1 on Imperial sizing wax.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
Works great and a lot cheaper than a small base die. 357 carbide works well for 222/223 brass also.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.