Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is for all of you that won't eat coon!

The other dark meat: Raccoon is making it to the table

By Lee Hill Kavanaugh | Kansas City Star

He rolls into the parking lot of Leon's Thriftway in an old, maroon Impala with a trunk full of frozen meat. Raccoon � the other dark meat.

In five minutes, Montrose, Mo., trapper Larry Brownsberger is sold out in the lot at 39th Street and Kensington Avenue. Word has gotten around about how clean his frozen raccoon carcasses are. How nicely they�re tucked up in their brown butcher paper. How they almost look like a trussed turkey � or something.

His loyal customers beam as they leave, thinking about the meal they'll soon be eating.

That is, as soon as the meat is thawed. Then brined. Soaked overnight. Parboiled for two hours. Slow-roasted or smoked or barbecued to perfection.

Raccoon, which made the first edition of The Joy of Cooking in 1931, is labor-intensive but well worth the time, aficionados say.

"Good things come to those who wait," says A. Reed, 86, who has been eating raccoon since she was a girl.

"This right here," she says, holding up a couple of brown packages tied with burlap string, �this is a great value. And really good eatin�. Best-kept secret around.�

Raccoons go for $3 to $7 � each, not per pound � and will feed about five adults. Four, if they�re really hungry.

Those who dine on raccoon meat sound the same refrain: It's good eatin'.

As long as you can get past the "ick" factor that it's a varmint, more often seen flattened on asphalt than featured on a restaurant menu. (One exception: French restaurant Le Fou Frog served raccoon about a dozen years ago, a waiter said.)

Eating varmints is even in vogue these days, at least in Britain. The New York Times reported last week that Brits are eating squirrels with wild abandon.

Here in Kansas City, you won't see many, if any, squirrel ads in the papers. But that's where Brownsberger was advertising his raccoons last week.

The meat isn�t USDA-inspected, and few state regulations apply, same as with deer and other game. No laws prevent trappers from selling raccoon carcasses.

As for diseases, raccoon rabies doesn't exist in Missouri, state conservation scientists say. It's an East Coast phenomenon. Parvo and distemper kill raccoons quickly but aren�t transferred to humans. Also, trappers are unlikely to sell meat from an animal that appears to be diseased.

"Raccoon meat is some of the healthiest meat you can eat," says Jeff Beringer, a furbearer resource biologist with the Missouri Department of Conservation.

"During grad school, my roommate and I ate 32 coons one winter. It was all free, and it was really good. If you think about being green and eating organically, raccoon meat is the ultimate organic food," with no steroids, no antibiotics, no growth hormones.

And when people eat wild meat, Beringer says, "it reminds the modernized society � people who usually eat food from a plastic wrapper � where food comes from.�

Statewide, consumption of raccoon meat can be tracked somewhat by how many raccoon pelts are harvested each year. In 2007, 118,166 pelts were sold.

But there are plenty more out there, Beringer says. The raccoon population "doubled in the '80s. There's more now than when Missouri was first settled."

He estimates there are about 20 raccoons per square mile of habitat.

In the wild, raccoons typically live five or six years. Populations that grow too dense can be decimated by disease, especially when temperatures drop, Beringer says.

"The animals huddle together, passing on the infections. In the winter, we sometimes have massive die-offs. If we can control the fluctuations in the populations by hunting and trapping, we can have healthier animals."

Fur trappers, who harvest most of the raccoons sold in Missouri, "try to kill as humanely as possible," says Beringer, a trapper himself. "It's part of the culture."

Pelts last year sold on average for about $17. They're used for coats and hats, and many are sold to Russia. But the conflict between Russia and Georgia severely cut into the fur-trading market, Beringer says. "Pelts will probably be less this year."

For the average person, who probably doesn't spend much time thinking how a steer or a pig or a chicken might meet its maker, raccoons may seem too cute to eat.

Until you try one.

At the Blue Springs home of Billy Washington, raccoon, fish, bison and deer are staples on his family�s table.

On this day, it's raccoon.

All night he has been soaking a carcass in a solution of salt and vinegar in a five-gallon bucket. Now he rinses the raccoon in his kitchen sink.

"Eating raccoon has never gone out of style. It's just hard to get unless you know somebody," he says as he carefully trims away the fat and the scent glands.

"My kids love eating game. They think eating deer and buffalo make you run faster and jump higher. My grandkids will just tear this one up, it'll be so good."

The meat is almost ready to be boiled, except for one thing: Although its head, innards and three paws have been removed, it still has one. That�s the law.

"They leave the paw on to prove it's not a cat or a dog," Washington says.

He cuts off the paw and drops the carcass into a stew pot, slices up a carrot, celery and onion, and sprinkles some seasoning into the water. Two and a half hours later, he transfers it to a Dutch oven. It looks a lot like chicken.

He bathes the raccoon with his own combination of barbecue sauces. Stuffs the cavity with canned sweet potatoes and pours the rest of the juice from the can over the breast.

"I follow the same tradition I watched when I was little. My uncle would cook 'em all day, saving the littlest coon for me," he says.

"If stores could sell coon, we�d run out of them. It's a long-hidden secret that they're so good."

After several hours, a delicious smell � roast beef? chicken? � drifts from the oven.

A mingling of garlic and onion and sweet-smelling spices.

And when Washington opens the lid, a tiny leg falls easily from the bone.

�See that? Tender as a mother�s love,� he says with a grin. �Good eatin�.�

And the taste?

Definitely not chicken.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Never tried it, but my Unc (with the hound) said it was good meat.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder how many are picked up along the roadside - a little flattened, but well tenderized.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive heard its pretty good eats.....some individuals over on a meat smoking board i read on occasion swear its great stuff and their posting have convinced others to try it, have yet to have someone that goes about preparing it to the guy's directions that didnt say it was good......if offered ive got no problems trying it but aint going out of my way to find one for the table......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
I wonder how many are picked up along the roadside - a little flattened, but well tenderized.

Those are the ones you sell to the city boys grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't care for it much myself. Their meat is soft and sweet.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a buddy from Missouri who has tried it. Said it was terrible, could hardly get enough BBQ sauce on to wash it down.

Think I'll pass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is better than coot.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think I'll pass too. Thank God, I'm not that hungry.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've got a buddy from Missouri who has tried it. Said it was terrible, could hardly get enough BBQ sauce on to wash it down.

Think I'll pass.

I had it a few times when I was young. I agree with your buddy. frown

It is quite dark and gamey.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried it a couple of times when I was in school and we hunted and fished for alot of our dinners. Wasn't horrible, bit I've damn sure had better. Maybe I needed a better recipe, we just threw it on the pit and smoked it. Tough as a boot. C-

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It is better than coot.

that's not saying much. so is styrofoam.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like with some other things how yah care for the critter after its dead and how yah cook it may have a huge difference.....as i said no one who has prepared it in the way the guys on that forum told them have reported anything but outstanding results......as far as gamey critters, ive had many ppl tell me it aint worth cutting a speed goat into steaks cause they taste horrible, taken care of right its actually quite good.....taken care of wrong dogs will turn up their nose at it......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Almost anything tastes pretty good when prepared properly, even Cat! So many recipes, so few cats. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Think I'll pass.

Probably like anything else, care, storage and preparation probably makes or breaks the meal. Can't tell you how many people who "hate fish" I have converted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whan I saw the title of the thread I thought maybe Jesse had flung another racial epithet at the Chosen One. Oh well.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Think I'll pass.

Probably like anything else, care, storage and preparation probably makes or breaks the meal. Can't tell you how many people who "hate fish" I have converted.

my wife refuses to eat northern pike........lil does she know she has eaten it a half dozen times without knowing......filleting them ASAP has a big difference in how "fishy" they taste....the knows it aint walleye but she hasnt been able to figure out just what it is grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
OH MAN, she just doesn't know what she is missing, I would rather eat Pike or Walleye over Salmon, Halibut or any of the others, hell Pike is good just cutting the meat off the bone fresh!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
in a city named gillette (sp), arkansas they have a "coon supper" every year. every politician or want to be politician attends. i believe i read that it was held just a week or so ago. been a tradition for many years (maybe 50).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've driven over to the south side of town to give away a coon. I've also dropped in on the cane-pole bucket sitters to give them a gasper or a jackfish. Pawned off some rank boar hogs as well. Those folks are always happy to get something to eat.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.