Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
CGC Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I live and hunt out here in Arizona, mainly for the small coues deer and javelina where the terrain is mostly very open with lots of mountains and canyons. When glassing for these animals i almost always use a tripod even with my 8X42 Nikon Monarchs. Just wanted a more powerful binocular for this type of open country.

Just recently went hunting deer with some friends who had 15X56 swarovskis and other 12-15 high end power binoculars and they were constantly finding deer at longer ranges much quicker than i could. Those swarovski 15X56 binoculars are very popular out here in Arizona, but they are out of my price range.

Heard many good things about Meopta but was interested in the Minox as well, as it does come in a 56mm as opposed to 50mm lens in the Meopta.

Anyone have the privilege to look through both of these binoculars.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Much evaluation by Enrique. Just do a search.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I really like my 12x52mm Minox compared them up against friends Leica's 10by50 he couldn't believe how good the Minoxs where at way less cost.
manitou210

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live and hunt in AZ. I even guided for a spel and thinking of doing it again.
I have never looked at the Meopta so I cannot comment on them.

The Minox 13x56 I can. Get them and never look back!

I came to the conclusion not to long ago that Minox is the working man's Swarovski. Just as good if not better at a price the working man can afford.

I used my 13x's today in 33 whenI was chasing coues with my bow. Glassed a buck at well over 800 yards, (rangefinder didn't read anywhere close) then I packed my gear up and used my 8.5x43HG by minox and started my stalk. Got 66 yards away and I couldn't get closer. Sat and watched my buck top over the ridge and never got a shot. If it had not been a uphill shot, I would have took it, but up hill I am not familiar with that shot soI passed. I have a 60 pin.

Anyways the 13's are bright, sharp, clear, and way less than the Swaro's. They have been my main glass this year and so far no regrets and they hold up to the rigorous season.

Get a pair from Doug who advertises here. It's cameralandny.com I think. Get a pair from him. Great deals and awesome customer service.

Where at in AZ do you live?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The first thing I'd do is make sure the Meopta will fit your tripod.
The second thing I'd do is buy both, if possible, and try them from your tripod. Stack them. Put one on top of the other and go quickly between them. I'd select the one that gave you the best detail, the sharpest image. When you are using binos, extra magnification will never off set sharper image. Not when they are that close.
Return the less sharp one for a full refund and go hunting.
Just for what it worth, I regularly find stuff that's literally miles off, animals I can't begin to see with even the best of 8X binoculars, with a 12X50. I don't use a tripod. A really good, heavy 12X50 is a thing to behold.
At least one of out posters here says his Minox 13X is usable hand held.
How useful either would be hand held would depend on how much you are willing to put up with in image shake, of course.
If you are used to using 8X42 Monarchs, either of these two binoculars are going to really be an eye opener for you. E

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E,
You're gonna have to come hunting with me just like Rickbin did.
You can hand hold a 12x50 or 13x56, but why would you want to. I am sure by doing that you are missing game bedded or even in the open thanks to the shakes.
I know CGC knows what I am talking about. We hunt the same game.

I will agree with you on the whole try both out concept. I have never used the Meopta like I mentioned earlier, but the 13's are a great optic. Plus most coues hunters rather up the objective lense and don't really look at 50mm that much. However, I have heard from you and others that the 12x50 Leica are an awesome bino.

I think someone mentioned 12 or 10 power HG that were 52mm. I'd look at those too.

Either way get the pair that fits your eyes best.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the 13x Minox. I also have an 8x Swarovski, so, I'm not unfamiliar with that level of glass. I was able to directly compare the 15x Swaros and the Minox in the store. The Swaro's are undeniably great; money no object, buy 'em and rock on. The Minox are very, very close at 1/3 the price. For me, the Minox made all kinds of sense.

I think E is referring to me RE handholding the Minox. I did, a bunch, in Colorado this year. It's far from ideal but they weren't unusable that way by a long stretch. But I'm no expert glasser. I felt it was working; I was seeing things OK, but perhaps on a tripod I would have caught something I missed while handholding them.

(I also used a tripod, just not all the time)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thank, Enrique. I really appreciate the invitation.
How much of that buck could you see at 800 ?
I've used my own tripod enough to know that it makes a very significant difference in not only reducing eye strain, but it will also allow to you pick up on whatever is out there faster. At extreme ranges, I would bet that it would the difference of seeing a throphy and not seeing it at all. I've even found that a good 8X can benefit a little bit from a tripod.
I won't pack a tripod, unless I'm carrying a spotter as well.
The type of deer and elk hunting I do demands lots of mobility. The more I must carry, the more I get worn down. I shudder to think about how much fun that tripod would be to carry at 4:00 AM on a -8 night, when I've got 3 miles and a 2200 ft. climb to make just to get to my hunting/glassing area.
I'll pass for now.
I am planning to buy a spotting scope sometime in the future for field carry. It will be a light, compact Leupold or something similar but with better resolution ability. Since I'll have to carry a tripod for the spotter, I might as well carry a binocular that work with it as well, say a good 10X. E

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have the Minox 13x56 and I'm very pleased with it. Used it extensively this year for desert muleys and aoudad sheep. Taking it back out there next week to hunt aoudads.

Everyone don't forget the new Vortex 15x56 about to come out. Its going to run about $1000, more than the Minox, but still half of what Swaro's run new.

CGC I would wait until the Vortex comes out in a month or two and put it in the mix as well.

Bill

C
CGC Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks alot guys for your help,

Looks like I need to really look into the Minox. But of course I will look at the Meoptas as well.

If I do not get these binoculars by the end of this month I will also look into the Vortex 15X56, anyone know when they are coming out?

Enrique, I live out here in Chandler.

Last edited by CGC; 01/12/09.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was disappointed that the Vortex "big eyes" are as expensive as they are ($1500 MSRP) They are an option to look at for someone thinking about buying a Swarovski. My thing is that Vortex hasn't been around like Swarovski and spending that type of money...I don't think I would go there.

In the "big eye" glass I have been most excited about the Minox 13x56 or 15x58, and sure would like to know where the 12x56 Nikon Monarch fits in the mix for the money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I couldn't see paying $1500 for something named "Vortex". Just sayin'... grin...

Especially when the Minox cost $750, and they rock.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya especially when for two extra bills you get Swarovski. Then again, when we look thru them, we might see $1500 worth of optics.
I can't wait to see a pair and make a judgement. But like you said jeff, for $750 you get a kick a$$ pair of minox. Also seen Doug has the 15x58's that are a good optic for $549.

Like I said I am a big eye nut. Can't wait to put my eyes to the Vortex in the field.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Enrique
Ya especially when for two extra bills you get Swarovski. Then again, when we look thru them, we might see $1500 worth of optics.
I can't wait to see a pair and make a judgement. But like you said jeff, for $750 you get a kick a$$ pair of minox. Also seen Doug has the 15x58's that are a good optic for $549.

Like I said I am a big eye nut. Can't wait to put my eyes to the Vortex in the field.

Kique

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about them...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 260madman, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.