Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W

I've been offered a Dakota 76 at a good price.

Who has or has had one?

Is there anything that makes it worth the extra money?

_

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is a Cadillac nicer than a Chevy? Both are made by GM often on the same frame. No question which is nicer. Same thing with the Dakota's.

Of course it depends on how good a price and whether it's affordable to you but the Dakota's are nice rifles that you'd be proud to own................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always wanted a Dakota 76. Go for it!
Are these an exact copy(one-piece bolt, trigger etc) of the Pre-64?

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very similar, but not an exact copy. No anti-bind "hump" on the bold, slightly differenct bolt handle. Bolt stop is different. Don't know about the one piece bolt...but mine's never come apart. I like mine a lot but at today's prices, I probably buy and beater M70 and have it reworked, and have $$ left over.

But if the price is right, I'd say go for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://dakotaarms.com/cgi-bin/quiks...d=&affiliate_id=&exact_match=yes

Beautiful rifles! Three versions in all. Scroll down the page for pricing info.

If one can afford it, well you only live once, eh?

Last edited by sir_springer; 01/23/09.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are VERY NICE! I dropped the ball with a Dakota 76 SA about 2 years ago! Couldn't see the forest for the trees! If I had it back, I'd be in the high cotton.

WAR EAGLE!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've had two,and presently have one chambered for 7mmDakota.They are not exactly like a pre 64,but similar enough that they'll make a M70 guy happy.They are much nicer than a Classic M70 IME.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
similar enough that they'll make a M70 guy happy.They are much nicer than a Classic M70 IME.
I beg your pardon!!! Sacrilege!!

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Redneck......apologies smile blush

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Accepted.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dakota is WAY over priced. You pay a big premium for anything like decent wood, or more than plain Jane ordinary checkering or other extras.

Action is nice; some have argued that tolerances are too close - may have reliability implications (i.e., w/ sand/grit, etc.). Never heard of an instances of this however.

Why someone would buy one of these rifles new when one could get something like a Roger Biesen full custom rifle at about the same price is beyond me.

Pay your money, take your pick...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Over priced" is subjective, but my sentiments exactly. The action itself is about $700 more than what I'm willing to pay for it. I'd also like to start from scratch with the action and not pay the premium for Dakota's complete rifles.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I've been offered a Dakota 76 at a good price.

Who has or has had one?

Is there anything that makes it worth the extra money?

_

i don't own one, but have an aquaintance who does, and i've handled and shot it at the range quite a bit...
i was there when he found it and bought it. he had been intending to order a .300 dakota, but found his 300 win in the rack at a scheels store, fell in love with it, and wrote a check.....

he has carried it to africa and alaska that i'm aware of... these days he hunts about wherever he feels like it....
last i talked to him, he considered iy his favorite rifle of all time...
i can vouch for the fact that it shoots well, and handles like a dream...

if money was no object, i'd be interested...
any body know how healthy dakota's business is these days??

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just checked their website... looks pretty subdued, compared to the sales pitch and shine they used to have...
wonder if they're under new management again??

Last edited by johnw; 01/24/09. Reason: spelling

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That comparison is valid only in your mind..........the only comparison is that they both have an external extractor.

I've had 2 Dakota's and if you don't mind the weight, they truly are beautiful rifles. The stock design is exactly to my liking, especially the very open grip.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
Dakota is WAY over priced. You pay a big premium for anything like decent wood, or more than plain Jane ordinary checkering or other extras.

Action is nice; some have argued that tolerances are too close - may have reliability implications (i.e., w/ sand/grit, etc.). Never heard of an instances of this however.

Why someone would buy one of these rifles new when one could get something like a Roger Biesen full custom rifle at about the same price is beyond me.

Pay your money, take your pick...

Well, I've had the Roger Biesen-type customs,built by Dale Goens, Leonard Brownell,Maurice Ottmar,Burgess, G&H, etc.Plus a couple of the Dakota's.They all have thier good points,but I can't consider the Dakota overpriced;anymore so than chopping up a pre 64 or good Mauser for the action,having it squared up and tuned,rebarreled,etc.

For the most part,I would not really consider ordering a new custom rifle with a wood stock by any of these makers;most guys treat them like safe queens, never use them,and then sell and take a hit.They can all be picked up for substantially less than it costs to build.

As to fine tolerances causing failures in the field, I would say that a pre 64 is just as vulnerable,and either is likely to quit sooner than a Mauser.

Great wood and stock work? You always pay extra for that,from anyone.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BobinNH, the work from some of these top drawer folks is in the same price range as the Dakota, the former showing a higher level of fit, finish and features. No doubt Dakota is the top of the heap for production or semi-custom rifles (pick you term); they are not in the same league as these others yet are priced similarly.

Someone here alluded to weight of the Dakota - my observation too. If the Dakota charms more than the others, by all means get it. My only point is that there are finer rifles available for about the same price point.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GF1: Sure, I understand;the Dakota is a nice semi-custom rifle,standard stock dimensions,etc,much like (dare I say it?)a pre 64 M70 smile....I can see the differences between,say, a Dakota and my Brownell...but geez with the cost of the custom makers today?......I mean I'm assuming here because it has been a number of years since I ordered a custom;back in the 80's a Goens ran me about $4000-$5000; I have no idea what a Roger Biesen rifle runs today......

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Last month I bought a M76 in 7 Rem Mag in VG condition for $2,000.00 + $140 taxes. It is a 2nd year gun with a Shilen BBl with no upgrades. Was it worth what I paid? YES I have several Customs by name builders but NONE have ever been in the field, my Dakota will be with me opening day if it is not raining.

I am now looking for a Dakota 375 H&H in the $3,000.00 range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dakota's are good guns for the money if you can get them for 1/2 for what Dakota charges retail for them. Their wood upgrade prices are ridiculous. But that being said there are some good deals to be found, witness the $2140 model 76. You won't find a custom maker that will produce a good gun for anywhere near that price. Most decent stock makers will charge at least twice that just for the stock................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.