Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Anyone have exp. in shooting hevi-shot or remmnigton hd for decoying geese? Seems that they so say to go up a shot size or two but it seems like a #4 wouldn't be big enough compared to using bb or 2's.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
#4 hevi shot is a good goose pellet. it kills as well as #2 LEAD in my experience, or as good as BB steel. A good choice for your 20 gauge.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Quick question.. To what range would you use it? If you can decoy them to within 25 yards it's probably a moot point, but if they are a little long but right on top of you with maybe a little wind, what would your max range be?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
About 40 yd for me. Trouble is, figuring out what 40 yds IS. I have taken out a lot of hunters who have way too much "faith" in the range of their shotguns, or who don't have a clue how far birds really are. I shoot more birds than most other hunters each season, a couple hundred birds some years. Hunting where they want to be, a good decoy set up, maybe some calling when necessary, and waiting for a good shot beats 3.5" magnums every time!

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
New member opinion might not mean diddly,but I'd say insid 40 #4 no problem. Whats's inside 40, when I can see the color and markings of the bird.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Farming
New member opinion might not mean diddly,but I'd say insid 40 #4 no problem. Whats's inside 40, when I can see the color and markings of the bird.
this is exactly what i was taught many years ago.. here is the simple lesson: look for color. thats it!

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's the first morning's hunt of the season for me - 20 guage FAIR using federal premium 2 3/4" #4 steel.
One duck was taken at a pretty long distance - 10' of lead!!
My decoys were set to bring them into about 20 yards
Cat
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Found out this weekend they are now making "Classic Double" Hevi-shot that is safe in old barrels....so I can drag the old L.C. Smith out to the marsh again, and shoot the Belgian Brownings without swapping for the newer jap barrels.

My hunting partner had neck surgery four weeks ago so he was using a 20 gauge 1100, backbored, ported, with the factory pad and a Kick-Eze slip on pad over that.

With 2 3/4 inch Hevi-Shot Classic Double 5s and a modified choke he was hammering decoying ducks, and that was with a 7/8 oz. load.

We had some specks flying around, but nothing in reasonable range....for any shotgun.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Just some quick velocity reports..

Today I chrono'ed 3 loads from my 20 Gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 30" barrel and an IC Choke.

2 3/4" Federal Tungsten-polymer 1 1/8 oz #6's = 1150 fps
3" Federal Steel shot - 15/16 oz #2 = 1275 fps
3" Remington Steel shot - 1 oz #2 = 1300 fps

I'd feel ok about keeping things inside 25-30 yards with any of these loads. I was actually a bit surprised that the lighter load moved slower.. though they are older steel shells.. probably both at least 8 years old. The Tungsten polymer loads are about 3 years old.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
We get down to the midwest every other year, so the high cost of the premium shells is minimal because at most it will be two boxes for the wife. So if they pattern good & have better down range energy great. Of course both days this year she managed to get one coming to the decoys but on the filp side one day most weren't committing & the shots were on the edge of range. We did loose two one of I know she hit one that went down but flew off when we went to retrieve it. No gun in hand, lesson learned.
Last fall I discovered specks in a western AK zone where the limit is liberal & hope to hit them hard this coming fall. However again the problem is at most it will be two 3 day weekends so I need try & pattern some different shells. I want to compare the hevi 2's 4's & tunxten matrix 3's. I don't know if sportmans' up here will carry all three though as they tend to have a smaller selection for 20's & I can't find a box store that will mail them.
Catnthehat, someday we will make it to Alberta. So many birds I don't know how you do it

Attached Images
12030-sd-147.jpg (83.78 KB, 49 downloads)
Last edited by greyghost1; 01/21/09.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The great thing about hunting here is that most of the early geese and ducks are locals that have been eating grain all summer!
The flocks are generally small as well, at the start of the season, so it is easier to shoot at only one bird at a time
(grin). If and when you make it down, give me a call a few months before and i can set you up with a hunt!

Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
greyghost1:

No 4 HeavyShot in a 20ga will kill greater Canadian geese out to 40yds with NO problem. Three of us have been shooting geese over decoys with 20ga shotguns for the past three years. The only negative on HS is the cost per round compared to steel.

As an aside: When I was about fourteen years of age, I was using my granddad's Stevens Model 520 pump 12ga to shoot geese. My success rate at hitting the big birds was not too bad. However, my KILL rate was rather sad.

One day, while hunting in a corn field, I had been blazing away at the over-flying geese. When the smoke had cleared, I noticed an older fellow (about 35) walking toward me. He introduced himself, and asked "How's the hunting?" After a bit of conversation, he asked what I used as a guide to shoot at the geese. My response was: "If I can see the patch on their neck, I can hit'em!" This gentleman then said: "Young man, you're right, if you can see the patch, you CAN hit them. But, if you can see their eyes, you can KILL them!"

That piece of sage advice was given me some 50 odd years ago. It works...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.