Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Does anybody have any experience with pointing labs? I have a friend who bought one and it is great in his opinion. I was just wondering if anyone else can attest to their use. I guess I really want to know can they really do it all, upland, waterfowl the whole shebang, and do they keep their mild mannered lab qualities while doing it? I have had a reular old Black lab for years now and love him to death, I would hate to see something ruin that great temperment.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I currently have a pointing lab whose going on 7. She is my first lab (had Gordons before). Yes, she can do it all and still maintain her great "lab personality" and transitions from the couch to the field with ease.

She won't hold point forever, like other breeds, but she'll definitely lock up and let you know they're close. Once I start approaching, she usually reverts to her flushing instincts. She gets regular duty in the marsh as well.

When Rox is ready to hang it up, I'll get another.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have been struggling big time with getting a pointing lab... and might still. Almost got one last year, but both parents are over 80# and I want a smallish dog.

Seems they would be the slickest of all choices... A cold weather dog that points...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kona's grandsire was Sir Hershey, out of Black Forest Kennels in Colorado. Sir Hershey was the first Lab, IIRC, to win a pointing championship.

Kona has been a grand upland and waterfowl dog, and the most tenacious retriever I have ever hunted around. And a marvelous companion.

The Black Forest dogs tend to run in the 70# range, +/-. Kona was 65-68 in her prime; she's running around 60'ish in her dotage. They have a nice website you can google up.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But does Kona point?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt with a half dozen partners that all have pointing labs out of some great bloodlines in Seward.....we all prefer the females and I'd guess weight at 45-50 pounds.....very affectionate dogs.....they make sure to raise the pups in a household with kids so they are socialized. Excellant hunters and some have done very well in competition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. She wouldn't hold a point like a German shorthair, but she definitely pointed. Had I done a better job of training her she would have been a more staunch pointer, but that was my lack, not hers.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my first lab at age 15 and was surprised when he showed pointer instincts. He pointed pretty well but I had no clue on training dogs so he pointed and held only as long as the bird stayed put and would flush it when he thought I was ready. By age two he was so nearsighted he couldn't tell people apart at 15 feet. He compensated by using his nose and was the most persistent retriever I've ever had.

Several labs since have shown minimal pointing instincts but there's a one year old female in the house that is showing great desire on birds and a pretty strong inclination to point. We'll see how she develops. Ward

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a 11 month male chocolate from pointing lines and he has been extremely easy to work with. His point is more like a long pause but it gives me enough time to get ready before he charges in. I duck hunt every chance I get so I really haven't worked with him much on upland game.

He's an outside dog but when I do bring him in the house he's as calm as can be. Steady in the blind and loves the birds.

We still have more work to do before next season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pointing labs are one of the breeds im looking at, there is a kennel that works with them on the other side of the state that im going to visit in 2 months and see the parent dogs and see if they are what i want.....given my laid back hunting style and the fact i want a companion dog as much as a hunting dog, pointing labs seem like they might be a good fit.......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After you go and visit, would you mind PM'ing me, or posting, what you find out? Kona is coming up on 14, and at some point I'm going to need another dog. I want another chocolate Lab, preferably out of pointing Lab stock, and I spend a lot of time in Montana. All that makes me very interested in your findings.

Thanks,

Dennis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
will do, i wont be over that way till the end of April(was thinking it was the March trip in the first post) so dont be to impatient grin ive also never had nor trained a bird dog, main thing im looking at is temperament of the adults and their size, and from there ill go on to talk to ppl that have purchased pups from them.....trying to avoid getting a dumb moose of a lab like my sis has though im confident hers isnt from any hunting lines....

Last edited by rattler; 02/02/09.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in no hurry, as I really don't want to get a pup until after Kona is gone. Mostly I'm looking for your impression of the kennel, the owners, and their dogs.

Kona is the only bird dog I ever trained. I didn't really teach her to hunt birds -- I only trained her to hunt birds with me.

I think getting a dog from proven hunting lines is crucial. I think they tend to be smaller, faster, smarter, more biddable and much more birdy. As someone else noted about their dog, Kona went from lapdog to stone hunter in no more time than it took to pick up a shotgun and go out the door. And reverted to type as soon as we went back inside.

I appreciate any insights you can give me on this kennel, because it will be easy for me to visit when I come back deer and bird hunting in October.

Thanks much,

Dennis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sounds good, thats pretty much what the side trip to the kennel is going to be for, getting overall impressions of the ppl, kennel and the dogs...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I have a pointing lab from Tiger Mtn. He will be five this spring and has been an incredible dog. I've hunted dove, quail, grouse, chukar, hun,pheasants, ducks, and geese. He's even been with me on deer and elk hunts. During the off season, he is pretty good at finding antlers.

I couldn't ask for a better hunting dog and companion. He will point, but not every time (lack of training on my part). If you decide on a pointing lab, go with one of the top breeders...Tiger Mtn or Black Forest. You will be glad you did.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lochsa,

That is one beautiful beast!!!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That is a good looking lab, of course once you go black you will never go back as they say. smile smile Love my boy Jake, even at 11 he is still pretty eager to get out and play.
I have spoke with Tiger Mtn and they have a pretty good web-site. They also offer finished dogs as well for those of us who have little time for hands on training or do not care to spend all that money just to screw up the poor dog once it gets to you.
The lab I spoke of that my friend has came from Black Forest.
I am really surprised at the feedback on this subject, I think I may be convinced.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I also have a Tiger Mountain dog, nearly 6 now, and she pointed at a very early age. I had John Greer start her, and picked her up at 4 months old. He used pigeons to train her, and she locks up like a rock whenever one lands in the yard. She also points porcupines, skunks, and anything else she doesn't recognize. On game birds, she is a normal lab, with no pointing whatsoever. John offered to "firm up" her point if I'd bring her back to Ellensburg and pay for the birds to train her, but the 2,000 mile round-trip from Wyoming wasn't worth it to me. She has excellent personality, is laid back just like I asked, an excellent house dog and traveler, an excellent retriever with an above-average nose, and hunts all upland game birds. I do not hunt waterfowl any more, but she has retrieved several pheasants from water, and would retrieve every fish I caught if I let her. She may be best hunting Gambel's quail, of all things, as long as her feet hold out.
The point, no pun intended, is some pointing labs may point early, then lose it, some don't point early, then develop it, and some point their whole lives. Mine has turned out to be an occasional pointing lab.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a Chocolate female that just pointed as instinct. She would hold her point on Pheasants but with a small covey of Quail under her feet she could not contain herself...she would bust them up to be shot.

She was not a steller hunt test dog but did get a AKC master hunter title on her... but a great field dog.

Doc

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is my pup in action. Neither of her parents point and am not aware that any of her litter mates do either but my pup started doing this at the end of her first pheasant hunting season when she was 10 months old. She turns 3 today and continues to point which is something that thrills me to death. Some say a lab shouldn't do this but I am happy as all get out with it especially given I have two young hunters in the family and this gives them a chance to get ready before the action starts.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BwanaND; 02/06/09.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.