Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BwanaND
Here is my pup in action. Neither of her parents point and am not aware that any of her litter mates do either but my pup started doing this at the end of her first pheasant hunting season when she was 10 months old. She turns 3 today and continues to point which is something that thrills me to death. Some say a lab shouldn't do this but I am happy as all get out with it especially given I have two young hunters in the family and this gives them a chance to get ready before the action starts.

[Linked Image]

Wow, what a beauty, great looking labe.

MCS

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Labs are wonderful dogs - the best retrievers available, and some are good pointers too, but I wonder about the success you will have buying a dog that has been developed for pointing for only a few generations. The European versatile breeds have been bred to do what you describe for over 200 years, and there are many breeds and blood lines to choose from that have been selectively bred to point, retrieve, track and live with family members. Both NAVHDA and the Versatile Hunting Dog federations run standardized tests that allow hunters to evaluate blood lines. I think if you have your heart set on a pointing lab, buy one, but if you want to ensure a truly versatile hunting dog, look into the versatile breeds, German Wirehair pointer, Viszla, Large Munsterlander, Griffon, Pudelpointer, among others.

Last edited by castnblast; 02/10/09. Reason: spelling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are all nice dogs...but they're not Labs... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And few dogs handle cold water the way a lab does...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone said Black forest is in Colorado. The one I found on the net is in Texas. Rattler I am interested in the breeder you found in MT. I am located in Cody, WY and thinking about getting a pointing lab.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the website for the Black Forest Kennel in Colorado. The "Sir Hershey of Surrey" that is mentioned on it was my dog Kona's grandsire, though I never dealt with them directly.

http://www.bearpointkennel.com/

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this is the kennel ill be visiting in April....maybe in March, talking bout running to Florence in March during the Fairmont trip but it will be a show up Sunday at our friends leave early Monday type of thing......

http://www.valleygatelabradors.com/

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boy rattler, you weren't kidding the other side of the state. I didn't think you were thinking missoula. I was hoping closer to the east side of the west half not the west side of the west half. I will look into to it.
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol before gas went up and i bought i house i used to drive my wife nuts cause i would rather drive to Great Falls and visit my sister than pick up the phone to talk to her.....we would get up at 6 or so take off, hit Great Falls at 10:30-11, have lunch with my sister maybe do a lil shopping and than drive home......i hate talking on a phone grin when i say the other side of the state i mean Helena/Butte and west cause i dont like doing it as a day trip....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Partagas, Trieven-Sungold in Lovell produces pointing Labs. Their male was the original breeding for Tiger Mountain's female, Jackie.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really, that is great. I will check them out. That is only 45 min away. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like they produced dogs with both tiger mountain and black forest.

Here is a quote off there website:
"If you are checking out pointing Labs, there are quite a few good kennels out there. Check their pedigrees, nearly ALL go back to Trieven blood. Tiger Mountain�s program includes quite a bit of TWIST blood. If you go to their website, the dogs LUKE and WHITEFOOT are direct offspring of Twist, and a strong influence in their bloodline. Black Forest, another excellent kennel, has GMPR GUMBO OF BLACK FOREST and GMPR CAJUN OF BLACK FOREST, both bred by Trieven Kennels. TWIST & SHOUT was a strong influence in many pointing Lab programs, as are AFC TRIEVEN CLASSICAL JAZZ MH (sire of FC/AFC JAZZTIME) and FC/AFC TRIEVEN THUNDERHEAD."

http://trieven.trieven-sungold.com/index.html

Last edited by Partagas; 02/12/09. Reason: add link
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
www.lankaslabs.com

Lost my Brittany on Christmas Eve, maybe Chinese dog food. He was a good partner even though he couldn't see or hear but sure could smell at 13 and 1/2.

With 4 kids we started the search for an everything dog and ran into pointing labs. We got a beautiful silver lab that seems to be as smart as any dog I have met with a wonderful dispostition. Have worked with him but haven't hunted him yet. I hope to take him to a local game farm soon for a little field trial. However he doesn't lock up like Brit did while he is working or playing. Anyway he feels all the voids and if even decent in the field he will be filling at least 3 dog duties for our family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by castnblast
Labs are wonderful dogs - the best retrievers available, and some are good pointers too, but I wonder about the success you will have buying a dog that has been developed for pointing for only a few generations. The European versatile breeds have been bred to do what you describe for over 200 years, and there are many breeds and blood lines to choose from that have been selectively bred to point, retrieve, track and live with family members. Both NAVHDA and the Versatile Hunting Dog federations run standardized tests that allow hunters to evaluate blood lines. I think if you have your heart set on a pointing lab, buy one, but if you want to ensure a truly versatile hunting dog, look into the versatile breeds, German Wirehair pointer, Viszla, Large Munsterlander, Griffon, Pudelpointer, among others.

yah know......you have been on this forum long enough that yah should know better than to ask a question like that.....kinda like asking why someone is going to dump a bunch of money into a military mauser to make a custom rifle when its a hell of alot cheaper just to buy a CZ......dammit man logic doesnt factor in to the equation at all grin

Last edited by rattler; 02/12/09.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have regular labs, at times they have shown a pointing tendency but what I have found is that they wag their tails differently when they are birdy. They actutally recognize the wag in each other and will close ranks to find the bird. All this talk of smart labs has me confused though.

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My dog's mother was Trieven Classical Lass II, so Tiger Mountain has gone back there for breeding in the past few years.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I grew up in the shadows of Tiger Mt and went to school in Ellensburg. My uncle has a lab from Tiger Mt. Its a great dog. However, I'm not convinced that pointing labs are better then actual pointing breeds. If you want a pointing dog, get a Brit, GSP, etc. IMO they have better noses then labs (don't bash me, just my observation). However, if you want a dog tha can do everything, and point, then you simply can't beat a lab. I brefer different breeds simply because I don't need a dog that will retrieve ducks, geese, etc. I only hunt upland birds. BUT, my wife loves labs, and I'm guessing we will eventually have a lab from Tiger Mt. Hell, I might have to start duck and goose hunting...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am thinking about a Tiger Mountain lab these days. I am glad I found this thread......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm on my second pointing chocolate Lab......and ya got to love em.....great retrievers and hunt pheasants like mad. And I must say....the best dog in a duck blind ever.....(I'll get flamed by Chessapeak owners now)

I must say that neither of them point like a Wire hair I had.....but point they do....for a couple seconds maybe and that's all it takes.....

Just one thing about labs.....they are cold weather hunters.....

If it's 65 degrees out they will hunt hard for an hour and then follow you around for the rest of the day....or until they are well rested.....

If it's 35 degrees they will hunt quite hard all day!

A true pointer will hunt all day every day.....even to the extent of dieing of heat stroke.

I've not heard of this happening to a Labrador!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm certain there must be some more laid-back pointing dogs, and for the most part I'd agree about scenting ability of pointers versus Labs, but after owning a neurotic, destructive, psychotic Visla with an excellent nose(for a couple of years), I went back to Labs. I hunt the dog for four months and live with it the rest of the year, so it needs to be a house dog, too. John at Tiger Mountain filled my request for a laid-back Lab with an above average nose. After the Visla tore up her house, my wife now despises pointing dogs so much I doubt any will cross the doorstep in the future, unless the dog and I are being tossed out of the house.
My dog typically hunts for 3 or 4 hours in warm temperatures, takes a break, and hunts another 3-4 hours in the afternoon. The better shape she's in, the longer the hunt. My experience has been the bigger the Lab, or the less effort the owner put into getting the dog in shape before the hunting season, the shorter the hunt in warm temperatures.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 33 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,878
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.