Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently got a yellow pointing lab out of Texas, I am eager to see how he turns out. He has been pointing bird wings. 8 weeks. I recently lost a black male, 13, he was a great dog in the field and in the home. He tried to point at times, but I though it was a mistake or accidental, I didn't comprehend labs could be pointers. This is going to be fun.

AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Have a good time and enjoy it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my last lab, Peet, gone for 11 years now, was a staunch pointer... he was not bred as a pointer, but came from an unregistered litter from near Thomson, Il... he was in fact given to me at no cost....

Peet would lock up on some pretty stylish points and hold there... i neither encouraged this nor discouraged it, it was simply how he hunted... i could and did however, if the cover was thick or the ground was rough, tell him to "get'em" and he would break point and put pheasants in the air....

a lot of guys hunted over him, including some locally well known dog men who favored pointing breeds... the late Gene Genslinger, before he hunted behind peet, claimed that there was no such thing as a "true" pointing lab... afterwards, he allowed that there was "one".....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R.I.P. Peet...

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pictures, great looking lab and family. It is or me is really tough to lose one. I had an english setter I lost a 14 years about 20 years ago, I still miss him. And this latest lose, a black lab male... it is going to take some time. I am really enjoying this new yellow pup. It is my second yellow lab, the first was a good hunter, but not near the lab my black was, and I don't think near the lab this new pup will be. He is fun and a challenge.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If puppies only knew the hopes we have pinned on them..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Scary, ain't it? smile

johnw
Nice pics.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a big load, but they can handle it. He does bring big smiles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 14 week old pup from John Greer at Tiger Mountain. This is my second dog from Tiger Mt. and I am excited. If you go to his site and look at the first dog "Teddy" that is the sire of my new pup. We are couldn't be happier with John's training and breeding.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed talking with John at Tiger Mt. when I was looking. At the time, having just lost a long time hunting/companion lab, the ability and proximity to go to the kennel and pick one out was a big consideration. We got a pup from the last litter coming out our breeders kennel. Our pup's sire and dam are very talented Labs.

We are extremely pleased with our Pup "Tex", (9 weeks) he is a smart one, and has been learning at an astonishing rate. He finds dead birds by scent, is retrieving, and is learning his basic commands. I haven't worked him much on pointing but he is doing it on his own.

I have had him out to the shooting range and the skeet range and he is not at all concerned/bothered with gunfire. I worked him into it slowly and from a distance. I plan on taking him to the dove field this weekend. This will be huge, you can see it in his posture when he is around birds. He goes into a higher gear and his whole attitude changes.

I enjoy working with and training dogs, It is fun, and is going to be a lot more fun.

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds great. Continued good luck

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the Range.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DANG!...

I'm not the world's biggest Lab fan, but no breed produces cooler puppies!!!!

Dats a beautiful one there...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but there are a lot of GOOD pointing breeds out there and labs aren't among them. Labs are flusher/retrievers and are generally very good at it. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Get a pointer if you want a pointer or a lab if you want a lab -- or a wirehair/griffon if you want one that does a fair job of both. Half azzed points by a "pointing" lab aren't any better than a lab that flushes as they are supposed to. I apologize if I've offended anyone, I just can't fathom why anyone would want to convert a vette to a 4x4 or a lab to a pointer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ranger1
I just can't fathom why anyone would want to convert a vette to a 4x4 or a lab to a pointer.

it's because of all the hunting dogs out there, the lab has the most pleasant and easy going personality... it is the most trainable, the friendliest, the most weatherproof....

take all of that and figure in that you want a dog to point birds and it only makes sense to breed the lab to point them.....

Half azzed points by a "pointing" lab aren't any better than a lab that flushes as they are supposed to.

my dog peet, pictured above, was never bred to point but he did it anyway... and staunchly...
i could have gone to lunch with him on point and he'd still be pointing when i came back...

my dads old friend raised, and trialed elhew pointers, and he was impressed with th dogs pointing ability...
told me that i was all washed up before he hunted behind the dog... ate crow afterwards.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ranger,
I do appreciate your willingness to share your opinion, and I do understand your inablilty to fathom this concept.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Border Collies are nice dogs too, but I don't see any reason to try to breed them to be good upland dogs as opposed to herding dogs. I truly enjoy hunting behind and owning labs, it is a great breed. I'd like to see it stay a great breed, polluting the gene pool with hesitant flushers (pointers) that will without fail be sloppily bred to labs that do as they should and flush, will ultimately result in a degredation of the breed as a whole. With all that said, it doesn't make any difference what I think so now that I have that off my chest I believe I'll retire for the evening.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No offense taken but if you like Labs and you can get one that'll point why not get one? I've had three, both all around hunters, family dogs with dispositions hard to beat and no maintenance coats. Mine usually pointed and held point well but even a half assed point is better than a flush that's out of range and a Lab will usually go get what you shoot every time. A lot of pointers won't.

That said I think an in shape pointer or setter usually has more upland stamina than a Lab and I've seen a GSP and a Visla with a good dispositions that would hunt everything from quail to ducks and retrieve too.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Why can't we leave things alone a breed is a breed made to point are flush. Hell we should all go out a get a Labradoodle if you know what I mean.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dukeman
Why can't we leave things alone a breed is a breed made to point are flush. Hell we should all go out a get a Labradoodle if you know what I mean.

if we'd left things alone they'd all still be wolves.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.