Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The Cabela's Club Visa has been the subject of a few Campfire threads over the years. I've had a Cabela's Visa for many years now and have always been fairly happy with it.

NO MORE.

I always pay the credit card the day that the bill arrives. Usually I pay with a check, but occasionally we'll send an electronic payment from our family checking account.

Last month, January 6th, my Cabela's Visa statement arrived. Our family account was getting kinda flush, so I had Karen send an electronic payment to them that day. I sat and watched her do it.

The money for the payment was subtracted from our checking account.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. My new Cabela's Visa statement arrived and no credit was applied to our account and we were dinged a $39.00 late charge and an $11.00 interest charge.

So we called Cabela's.

It seems that they have no record of ever receiving our payment. Worse than that, the agent on the phone was less than helpful. Actually, he was downright insulting and did all of the wrong things.

The half-hour call was a totally horrible experience. I cared and was trying to save a business relationship. The Cabela's representitive simply did not care and was totally willing to throw our business into the dungheap.

Our Key Bank account still records a payment of well over $1,200 being made to Cabela's Visa. This made no impact with the Cabela's representitive and it is totally my problem.

If he had been my employee, I would have terminated him on the spot. As it is, I can do something; I can easily select Cabela's Visa to NOT BE in my wallet.

I cut Cabela's a check this morning for the balance due, plus all of their phony late and interest charges. Further, I have shredded their card.

Waaaay further, I'm letting my Campfire brothers know that Cabela's Visa is to be watched carefully.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All of the credit card companies are a pain in the AZZ as far as I am concerned.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I cut Cabela's a check this morning for the balance due, plus all of their phony late and interest charges. Further, I have shredded their card.

If you've already paid and funds have left your account, why pay a second time? Couldn't you have spoken to a supervisor there?

Originally Posted by dogzapper
Waaaay further, I'm letting my Campfire brothers know that Cabela's Visa is to be watched carefully.
Steve

I don't blame you either...I'm guessing that Cabela's have little to actually do with the card and the business is farmed out to a third party credit card company? If so, I would also contact Cabela's directly and tell them they are about to loose all your custom unless this is sorted out to your satisfaction..

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Does Cabela actually manage the card or is it handled by a bank which has nothing to do with Cabela?

I took out a Circuit City credit card and it was actually handled by Chase Bank.

If it's a separate bank call Cabela directly and state your case.

Harry M.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for the info Dogzapper. Sorry to hear of your misfortune with them. I went to Florida a few weeks ago to visit my ill father. My card was denied in GA at a gas station. I couldn't get in touch with the customer service dept. for several days to get them to log on my account that I was traveling out of my area.

I told them I was traveling and to let the charges ride. They wanted to know how long, where, what states, reason for travel, etc. I told them I didn't know when I would be back in my "home area" and to quit putting limits on me. Went over like a lead balloon with the azzwipe I was talking with.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry to hear of your problem with Cabelas VISA. Your payment to them is traceable and a call to your bank will find the payment. Bet it went to Cabelas.

I also have a Cabelas card. I paid it off in January. One thing that I noticed is that they take up to 7 business days to credit electronic payments. Other places often credit the same day or the next. I think that 5-7 days is much too long.

Best wishes.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yup, it's worth paying the $50.00 that [b]I did not owe[/b, just to get rid of Cabela's.

Cabela's Visa was always excellent; I suspect that Cabela's sold the franchise when the company went public. As far as I am concerned, they totally flunked the Steve Test during the last couple of days.

Cabela's and Cabela's Visa is out of my life.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Steve

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Steve sorry to hear of your bad luck. I've had nothing but great service from them. In fact 2 months ago someone stole my number and started charging. Cabelas called me shortly, less than an hour after the 2nd charge showed up from France, the account was closed pronto by them, new card/acct. on the way and no charges applied to me, so in less than an hour they caught it, called me and cancelled, total opposite of what you just went through in way of service, it's the only card I have. The lady I delt with said the latest scam is waiters, gas station folks ect. have a small pocket size device they can swap you card # lickie-d-split,and start charging. Strange how cabelas didn't "take care of you" I rather like their service.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Sorry to hear of your problem with Cabelas VISA. Your payment to them is traceable and a call to your bank will find the payment. Bet it went to Cabelas.

I also have a Cabelas card. I paid it off in January. One thing that I noticed is that they take up to 7 business days to credit electronic payments. Other places often credit the same day or the next. I think that 5-7 days is much too long.

Best wishes.

Thanks Ed,

I called Key Bank and they were great. The Key rep said that the payment was an electronic transfer (no paper check involved) and that Cabela's had the money.

You'd think that, give a month, they would have either rejected the payment and sent it back or credited it to my account. Or maybe I'm expecting too much grin

Steve

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Harry M
Does Cabela actually manage the card or is it handled by a bank which has nothing to do with Cabela?

I took out a Circuit City credit card and it was actually handled by Chase Bank.

If it's a separate bank call Cabela directly and state your case.

Harry M.

cabela's owns the bank their credit cards are through.

There was a thread about this on a different site as well.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steve; I had a similar experience with the Cabelas' Visa a few years ago. I was so pissed I did the same thing, AND wrote Dick Cabela a letter. Never heard back and I've never used that card again. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
K
The Cabela's card is done through Washington Mutual (at least the one I got is...they may utilize other banks as well). They recently sold to JPMorgan Chase. Cabelas has nothing to do with the card other than putting their name on it. With that said...you should let Cabela's know what's going on. If their name is on it, they've got some control.

I've had a Cabela's visa for several year and have no complaints. Again, with that said, it is disturbing to hear of the troubles. Thanks for the heads up....that's something I'll have to keep an eye on.

Kev
"Track it...Hunt it...Kill it...Eat it"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just paid mine off this month and am cancelling it after I confirm a zero balance.

I think mine is administered by either Chase or GE Money Bank.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This is making me ill. I got a Cabela's card after Citibank screwed CDNN over bull$hit FFL requirements. Chase has been after me to get a card, any stink on them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience has been just the opposite. About a year ago I had questions and a penalty showed up. I called and talked to a very kind rep and we got it squared away. I did not ask that the penalty be removed, but it was removed on the next statement.
I'm sorry to hear that things were bad. If I get an azzhat on the phone, I just hang up and start over with a new rep.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Breaking News: Our $1,200++ just showed up in our Key Bank checking account. It shows "Rejected by Cabelas Visa" and has been credited back.

So I guess we haven't lost the twelve hundred bucks - it just was in Cabela's hands for FIVE FULL WEEKS.

In full disclosure, Karen talked to a very nice representitive, at first. The gal could not do anything, so we were trasfered to a second rep, who couldn't answer questions or do anything, either. Finally, I got on the line when we were transfered to a THIRD representitive.

My guy had a very hard line: Electronic transfer took a long time, Cabela's did not have the money and we owed the balance and the penalty instantly.

His one softness was that the "financial board" would visit the possibility of deleting the penalty and interest ... in maybe two to three weeks.

<So, this begs the question: How much do I write the check for??? The balance AND penalty AND interest are due instantly, but some phantom board will decide whether I owe the silly $50.00 at their convenience.>

He kept asking me repeatedly, "Are we done here?"

Yeah, we're done. We're done for good.

Speaking as a retired and quite successful business man, I can truly say the following: It takes a long time to gain a customer's trust and total business, but it takes only a single bad experience to lose the customer's business forever.

Regretably, Cabela's Visa lost me.

This does not in any way mean that the rest of you will experience bad service and relations with Cabela's Visa. I simply wanted to let you know that I had a problem and for you to watch them.

Maybe this is a singular event; hopefully, I am the only loss from what might be an anomoly. Or maybe this is the new face of Cabela's Visa.

AS for me, I'm not sticking around to find out.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a Cabela's card for several years, no problems. My card expired in Dec. and I was sent a new one, good for three more years. In January they sent me another new "black" card. Apparently, I am such a big spender I qualify for higher credit limit, more benefits, whatever , blah, blah. Anyway, the most recent card came live right out of the envelope, no activation required. Surprised me and made me a little nervous. Seems like a bad practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Steve, I'm sorry to hear that because my experience has been just the opposite, cordial communications and when they suspected fraudalent action on my card (in the Phillipines) they called immediately and were quick in resolving it.

At the risk of mentioning something that has already been suggested, in your spot, I'd call Cabela's and go for the department head of the person who you've dealt with and give them the low down. For every reason I'd think they'd want to keep every good customer they have. That person sounds they are in for a MAAS (mandatory attitude adjustment seminar) with the next step the pink slip.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

George

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear you had problems dogzapper. I have used their card for years with no problems. In fact I dropped my other card holder because it was a problem child.

I agree with goodnews. I would call and get a different representative or supervisor. I had to do that with Alltel once. Bad apples don't last long in those businesses and the businessess do want to keep good customers!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Most all the credit card folks are losing money I guess, so the best way to make some up is to trump up some ridiculous late fees and such. Just the begining......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.