Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I've been working on a new mini cylinder wood stove and a light weight shelter. I finished up the 1st round of tests today and it's pretty sweet.

I used a GoLite ShrangiLa 2 for the shelter and sewed in a stove jsck. The mini clyinder stove is 5" diameter and 7" long. Total weight with tent, pegs, stove pipe and accessories comes in at 3 lbs 4 oz. I think with a few mods, such as going to a ti pipe rather than the stainless, lighter shorter legs and maybe some CF tent stakes, I can get total weight to 2 lb. 15 oz, which is pretty close to ultra light weight for most shelters alone.

The shelter uses treking poles for upright support and I am not counting that weight since I would have them anyway.

The shelter is spacious for one with hunting gear and doable for two.

The stove heats the shelter very well, but like most cylinder shaped stoves doesn't provide as much surface area to cook real fast, but with the modifications, it shoud bring a liter of water to a rolling boil in about 20 minutes.

I din't take any picture today, but will post some after round 2.

Best'

Ed T

Ed T

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a sweet set up Ed T!
Am looking forward to pics.

Later...

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ed,
I would love to see pics as well! Sounds like a super set-up!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds damn impressive.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm definitely looking forward to your set up, Ed. Did you make the stove jack yourself or did you purchase it somewhere?

IC B2

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Definitely want to see pics, especially that stove. Is it a take down design? I could see how that wouldn't be necessary at that size but I'm curious just the same. Need to come up with something for the Supertarp myself.

Scorpion, I'm betting Ed makes his own stove jacks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ed,

Is the stove you used a custom creation, or something commercially availible off the shelf?

Thanks,
Carl

Empirical results rule!
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I made the stove jack form the same material that Kifaru uses.

The stove is custom, one of a kind, at least until tomorrow when I start on version #2. smile

The stove isn't a take down. I did that on purpose for speed in set up. Screw in the 4 legs, un-roll the pipe and insert and light a fire.

With this set-up, I can travel with a total weight of shelter, wood stove, sleeping bag/pads and pack of less than 9 lbs. And I am good to well below zero. Add 6 oz for cooking and eating and I am still under 10 lbs.

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dibs on whichever one you decide to get rid of.

you know your gear room will be overflowin again soon if you don't get rid of stuff, regardless of the stuff you moved lately. (grin)

sounds cool EdT, add me to the list lookin forward to pics.

we're gonna have to slip some rocks in your pack Ed, you're takin this lt. weight to nirvana stage!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
That sounds like a great shelter, and affordable. I have the go-lite hex 3 and just don't use it very much because there wasn't an easy way to stake it tight to the ground (which I think is important in a heated shelter) is the Shangri la 2 better in that respect or did you modify it?

IC B3

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
olypen,

The key to pegging any of the GoLite's thight is to disregard the adjustable peg loops and instead, slip a peg into the webbing behind the buckle on the shelter side and pound it in tight to the ground.

Once you have your corners in, erect the pole, but not too tight or you will pull up from the edges. Have the pole just snug and then peg the hell out of the other loops all the way tight. If you need to, you can raise the pole after.

The adjustable loop looks to be a good idea at 1st glance, but allows too much verticle rise to achieve a tight pitch.

I have often thought about cutting the four adjustable buckles from my GoLite shelters and am pretty sure I will on the ShrangriLa 2. Should cut a couple ounces as well.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Hex 3's and ShrangriLa 4's in cold fall and even winter weather with no problem.

Play around with your shelter at home in your yard until you have the pitch perfected.

I am pitching different tents and tipis in my yard so often that a neighbor asked if I was running some kind of Bed & Breakfast smile

Ed T

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Randy,

I'll keep you in mind!

Ed T

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks for the help Ed, I like the robust sil nylon go-lite uses and maybe I'll dig the thing out of the gear closet someday and give it another go.

I'm lucky to have a few acres of woods behind the house and am always trying to shave a little weight off my rig so this time of year I spend a fair amount of nights out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed T,
Sounds great! How about a where to buy, how to sew post on the stove jack?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I*ll second any tips on sewing in the stove jack as i have a hex 3 that I'm going to tackle this year , also interested in the non collapsible stove as they are a pain in the butt to put together.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have a 2 lb 7 oz tipi style for sale in the classifieds. a good candidate to put a stove jack in to heat it. it is supposed to be 9x9 and 6 ft high. ray

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I really want to see this!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Four Dog Stoves, makes a couple really nice small air tight titanium stoves, for back-packing but I don't think there anywhere near as small and light as mentioned here. I too would be interestd in seeing photos.

Phil

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ok, Ed, if you don't post pics soon I will be showing up at your place for dinner. What's it gonna be? frown

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
razor,

The steak will be going on the grill soon, so you better hurry!

I know everyone wants to see some pics, but I am going to make several changes in version 2 so I might wait until it's complete.

Ed T

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.