Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A small group of my friends and I are thinking about our once in a lifetime hunt in 2010.
Canada still seems to be the best chance for us to find 150" or better whitetails.
Only one of our group has been to Canada before and hunted in Saskatchewan, but with the news of the massive die-offs in Saskatchewan, we're also considering Alberta.
Which region would be the best bet for us to find 150" or better whitetails?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There are still good numbers of mature Whitetails in Northern Provincial forests of Western Sask, but the east side did suffer a big winterkill the winters of 06/07 and 07/08. So far this winter seems better. I just got back from a snowmobile tour at our trapline near the MB border, and snow levels are moderate. If I had to travel and use an outfitter to hunt whitetail, I think I'd look towards Alberta at the moment. There is more opportunity to hunt the mixed farm country south of the provincial forest, and hunting methods are more varied than the Saskatchewan outfitters standard "box blind over bait". But if you find a good Saskatchewan outfitter, you will have a good hunt, just stating my preferences. Good luck!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think I would go with Alberta parkland regions as well as some in the Boreal or bush areas. At least until Saskatchewan heals for 2 or 3 more years.

If it is your first time, you need to realistically be aware that outfitters who run more than 50% success on 150 or larger deer are doing well. Many hunters take 130 or 140 class deer and are happy about it. It took me 4 trips to get a 160 bruiser.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sent you a PM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I think I would go with Alberta parkland regions as well as some in the Boreal or bush areas. At least until Saskatchewan heals for 2 or 3 more years.

If it is your first time, you need to realistically be aware that outfitters who run more than 50% success on 150 or larger deer are doing well. Many hunters take 130 or 140 class deer and are happy about it. It took me 4 trips to get a 160 bruiser.

StrayDog is right;you could kill a bruiser on the first trip,or it could take a lot of years to get one.150's are there,but tough to get.

I don't care for the cookie cutterblind/bait hunting scenarios utilized by most guides in Saskatchewan, although there are some acceptable variations on the theme.But it does produce high sucess rates because baiting concentrates does,and rut hunting whitetails is all about does.....

Plus you will find,if you watch closely,that in many Saskatchewan camps, a few baits will become "hot as some does in a group come into estrous.This will become obvious as bucks literally pour into a couple of baits, lots of action,etc,while other areas are "cold". Favored, repeat clients,on a short hunt(one week)fequently get "dibs" on these "hot" baits,and first-timers...well...they get good locations, but.......

Plus,Saskatchewan restrictions are sort of draconian;you cannot hunt without your guide right there,unless you are in your blind. Walking around with a loaded rifle is verboten. I have seen some guys cited by Saskatchewan game wardens for the most innocent of infractions,ie,cited for "hunting without guide" because they had a magazine full of cartridges while at the side of the road waiting to be picked up;hunting without a license because they had a dead deer in the bush,and a magazine full,while waiting to be picked up;improperly tagging a deer, etc etc. This resulted in a trip to court, confiscation of weapon,hiring a lawyer,etc.I don't consider the place "user friendly".

I have had no problems there myself,and generally good hunts,but the baiting and daunting regulations leave me cold and I will not go back there.

Without hesitation I would pick Alberta.A buck shot over "bait" means nothing to me, regardless of score.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you're looking for a first class outfitter in Alberta, visit this website : www.ihuntalberta.com . These guys are top notch in every way.If it's going to be a once in a lifetime hunt,don't skimp on it now,you'll regret it later.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=santeerangerman]
Which region would be the best bet for us to find 150" or better whitetails?
quote]
When you see an aerial view of the area like mapquest, you will notice a fairly distinct line where the agriculture stops as it gets to the northwoods or Boreal forest.
This line runs westward through all of Saskatchewan and into Alberta, near Slave lake it seems to turn south.
For about 100 miles either side of this line is the prime whitetail area where the 190+ bucks live.

The huge winter kills were in northeast Sask. however I am giving a couple of outfitters that operate in the northwest of Sask. I have had my eye on these two for sometime because of a conversation in the airport with some sucessful hunters from there. www.buckparadise.com and www.saskoutfitter.com from their websites they were not affected by any die offs.

Also this is the website of an Alberta outfitter that I have hunted with. While in his camp during the last week of 2006 one of the guys bagged a beautiful heavy 216 whitetail www.diamondwillowhunts.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.