DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Kinda at a stand still until work picks back up. Front end work on my ranger and then an agreement with a state cop grin put a serious dent in my toyota fund.

Oh well, so it goes. Still doing research though.

I gotta question though.

I can get longfield axle shafts that will handle the 302, they have a no questions asked warrenty. and have quite a following with the 4x4 gurus.

Now I can also get a set of Yukon axle shafts. They will also handle the 302 and also have a no questions asked warranty. Its about the same price as well.

However the Yukon axle kit, eliminates the Birfield, while the Longfields keep it.

Is there an advantage between the birfield versus the setup that is on all other rigs?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well I did a U-turn. Sold the 302 back to dad AGAIN grin

I stumbled across a 73 dodge 1/2 ton. 318/4spd. I had a m94 that had some issues and $200. It was a good swap IMO.

It has sat for a few years. There are no brakes, an its a cold blooded muther, seems to be getting better though.

But damn does it run smooooth. Just kinda purrrs.

Looks like its got a new battery and alternator. Interior isnt to shabby for what it is either. I do think that whoever ran the wiring on it needs slapped. I mean come on, thats just sloppy
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 03/21/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was startin to like you...and then you had to go and buy a Dodge. grin

4wd?

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
lol. yea its 4wd. The rear tires are a set of 33x12.50 wild country Mt's They still have the nubs on them!!

Woulda gone for a ford. But good luck finding a carburated ford around here, expecially with a solid axle, for the price that I got this one.

Should make things a lil easier than trying to figure out what parts I dont have. As right now I know just enough to get myself into trouble with this project grin

Last edited by mud_bogger; 03/21/09.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Put the 4 banger out of the Toy into that Dodge, then you have a good starting point for the Dodge. grin

I'm just goofin ya. I'd rather have one of those, than the newer Rams. I like the way they look, and it looks like you found a clean one.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
you gotta get some better pictures up of your new prize.

whats the vision for this one? grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
what a swap i have a 73 dodge camper special but needs whole new body why don't you take the cab and front end off and make a nice roll bar frame and sheet metal it in and i'll come out and take the the cab and front end out of the way for you.Just trying to help

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave, I just got it as a Donor truck. It just puts me a lil further ahead parts wise, without spending much money. I have a complete motor/trany/Tcase, Should be able to make a some spring packs out of whats on the dodge. Shucks I might even stick those axles under the yota and see what she looks like. Who knows........ grin

The body, mainly the bed, is rough. nothing huge but its dimpled enough it resembles an oatmeal texture. Also looks to have been painted with house paint and a brush. No big deal for what I got it for.

Interior is dirty but isnt thrashed. Thats in decent shape for its age shape IMO. And once again Very little rust tht I can see. More than few pounds of bondo on it though.

Tbear,after I pull what I need off of it, I'll be takn it to the scrap yard. If theres anything that ya want off it, you can have it. Dont think I can ship the cab though grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mud_bogger; 03/22/09.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i wish i could find them in that shape around here.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Gimmee a shopping list

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll pm you to talk about it not tonite though just about bed time for me

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well I pulled the motor this afternoon. I dont even wanna think about how many hours I burned up fighting that stupid thing. I had the bellhousing and motor mounts un bolted. Started lifting it and it wouldnt slip off the tranny.

I could pry,shake,shimmy,shim,cuss,threaten,yell,cuss,yell,cuss, kick the dog, throw a fit and touch my nose with my tongue and hop on one foot. But It wouldnt slip off the damn tranny.

The whole time, I had been wondering about 4 dinky lik bolts on the bellhousing, below the motor. They hold that "i dunno what ya call it" on. Just that damn sheet metal slash shield of sorts. Pulled them, and the motor swung free, the tranny dropped into my catch strap.

Even the dog gave me a stupid look............

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

Even the dog gave me a stupid look............

grin

It's always those little bolts that shouldn't hold nothing...that get you every time.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Allright, I pulled the valve covers to clean em up and paint them. I will NOT have a blue motor wich is what it is now.

Noticed the ammount of sludge on the rockers, so I pulled them off and cleaned them up. From the looks of things everything in that motor needs cleaned out.

Question though....

What would be the cause of this? a couple of the rods were like this.
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm thinking manufacturing flaw.

I can't see how that happens to a pushrod inside an engine. I'm thinking it looked like that when it was new.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hardly..
What do the oil journals look like?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
what could it contact inside the engine for that length?

I'm just drawing a blank, can't see ow it could become marked like that.

with only maybe a half inch of travel at most during operation.... they should rotate with the lifter but.....

I just cant picture it.

crazy

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
is there a guide/bracket that could have come loose in the lifter valley & rode around on the pushrod? do you have the intake off? answer is probably unter the intake.

I've never had a dodge engine apart so I'm unfamiliar with what ever it may be that could have rode against those pushrods turning them marks into them.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Pulled the intake. I'm thinking you gotta be right dave. As every one that is marked up is the exact same marking, the depth of them varies though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 75 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.