Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
smile Rost495,

Please tell us (me) about your 6mm WOA AR.

What kind of accuracy, velocity, etc are you getting?

Is it a pain to make cases for it?

What would you do differently if you were starting from scratch?

Would you just stick with the 6.8SPC or do the 6mm again?

I am all ears.

Thanks.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno on what you want it for.... I'm happy with mine. I consider it a 243 short kinda.. a few hundred FPS slower as I recall.

You'll find I don't have much data, 18 inch shilen tube. Brass is as simple as running it into a size die. Size die and seater are custom so not cheap..... that could be an issue but isn't to me.

Accuracy....85 tsx at 0.5 moa basically, it stuck the first 3 into appx .3 and the next time I shot for group I had five just over .5 moa. Speed, I shot it over a chrono one time... years back already, something around 2850 fps IIRC. Good enough for deer/hogs.

Its killed everything I shot at except a cull buck, out to 250ish yards. We still dont' know about the buck, it was a total chip shot yet we never saw ANY sign of a hit, and I actually followed him on foot and found him twice more and no sign of a hit. He was seen a week later just fine. So he was in brush, probably hit a limb I never saw.

Would I do it again, heck yeah in a heartbeat. Might go for a longer tube, 22-24ish for hunting. I hate 270 anything still so thats an issue with me anyway. Other than the barrel length I'd change nothing.

I haev shot those tsx through deer and hog heads out to about 200, killed a fair amount of hogs running with it. You have to be good on shot placement as there is no knock down power to speak of.... but I'm ok with that. If I want knockdown I go to my 50 beowulf which hasn't knocked anything off its feet yet.... I have run a 250ish yard shot through a 150 pound deer, hit in front shoulder, exited in hindquarter, she was hyped up and saw us, and we had to trail her into a thicket, but she was bled out and dead.....

I think you might have more smackdown with the 6.8..... less range by a bit. dont' know about ballistics wise vs velocity.

I do know one kid that has one and shoots deer and is happy, my nephew choose to go larger than 223 and went 7.62x39 and is totally happy with that AR too.... I've shot both and shot hogs with both... they work fine too.

Like I said depends all on what you want to do exactly.

More questions just shout.

jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you did it all over again would you still do the 6mm WOA over say a .257 WSSM upper for deer? I've been looking at those DTC WSSM uppers for awhile now. I really like the concept. A more powerful cartridge in the same size lower. For a deer rig can you think of any advantage to either one? I could certainly do a 6MM for deer. If the economy was any better I would probably be shooting one now!

Terry

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
terry

I'm different..... the 6mmwoa for hogs and deer culling is all I'll ever need really, 200-300 yard shots max, drills everything I've tested it on dead center or really close, save that buck....

Would I do a 25 wssm instead...NO, but I will do one. For a long range deer/antelope upper just because... The 6mm woa barrel life should be really good, better than the hot 25, but the 25 is like a 25-06 in and AR15 platform. What I dont' want for some reason, is a 243 wssm... dont' know why either. Though I do want to open my 243 bolt gun to AI and stoke some really hot 85 tsxs in it for some reason.

Bottom line if I had to choose an all around though, it probably wouldn't be the 6mm woa, it would have a bit more punch to it. For deer anyway. But I don't like to limit, thats why I've got 22lr uppers, 50beowulf and a few between and hopefully more to go.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
6.8 with the right barrel is pushing an 85 TSX at 3000 to 3200 fps, or so I am told. Something to consider.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 6WOA shoots very well also.
This one was Dan Careys personal rifle and he built it to shoot 58-70 gr. bullets. The barrel is a 14" twist Shilen that absolutely shoots 1/2"- groups all day long, as long as the guy behind the trigger is paying attention that is. It will not stabilize 87 gr. Vmaxs and have not shot anything else over 72 grains. It's main purposes are predators and paper out to 300 yds or so.
In contrast, I have a 6.8 and would be MY go to (AR) gun for deer or hogs (wish I lived in Texas) This has a 10" twist PacNor and also shoots very well with a variety of bullet weights. I've shot some wood chucks and coyotes with this rig and is one of my personal favorite ARs
Once the new 30 Remington hits the market, be prepared for a whole plethora of wildcats based on the new design. It will give better ballistics than either the 6WOA or 6.8 and closely approach the WSSM family without the case and functioning issues associated with it.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks Jeff.

I have been contemplating a new build and I really would like a 6mm of some sorts. The primary purpose of such would be as a predator rifle, secondary as a mule deer toy. I have been looking into both the 6mmWOA and the 6mmAR. The bonus of the 6mmAR being that it is based upon the 6.5 Grendel, which Lapua makes cases for. I am a big believer in Lapua brass.

First hand info from people is always nice and I can tell from reading past posts of yours about the validity of what you write, so I sought your opinion.

This is not anything that is going to happen overnight as I am away working for a while.

On your 18" barrel, did you go with a standard Hbar profile or something lighter or heavier? If you were building a field gun vs a highpower gun, what would you suggest for a profile?

Thanks,
MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
it came hbar type profile because it was a 6x45 in a prior life.

I happen to like solid guns, and I"ll stick with that. That being said I'll build one backpacking light bolt gun in the future just for special uses, but currently I backpack hunt with a 54 Renegade and green mountain 28 inch custom tube on it, not light....

Not that light doesn't shoot, I just don't like how it moves around more easily.

Not familiar with the 6mm AR, but have done work with the 6.5 grendel before it was renamed... Arne Brennan came up with that one and I loved that round, just never got around to getting an upper yet..... I"d suspect I"d be just as happy with a 6mmppc in the AR too....

Still don't care for 6.8 just since its 277 caliber...

To each their own, bottom line again, the 6mm woa works fine for me, and its plenty accurate, you gotta decide if 6mm is ok, and if the speed is ok...

Jeff

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I have ran 58 grain V-maxes just a bit over 3400 in my 6 WOA and am currently shooting 75 grainers right at 3100. It is my go to coyote AR and is just a real joy to shoot. It seems to shoot well with just about anything I load in it. It is a Dan Carey build in a 22 inch barrel with a 1-12 shilen select.
Regards
John

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How would 6PPC work from Grendel magazines? Would the ballistics be similar to 6 WOA?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I believe the ballistics would be better than the 6woa IIRC. Haven't looked at either the 6.5 or 6ppc data in some time.

Grendel is simply a barely(if any IIRC) tweaked 6.5ppc basically. So call it a 6.5 ppc then. I run 6woa rounds out of 6.8 spc mags and it works great. I'd bet the 6ppc rounds to work out of the grendel mags for sure. I helped do some testing on the grendel when it was still 6.5 ppc before being renamed... to be frank, we just used 20 round mags and tweaked the feed lips on each mag till they fed right....

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 37 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.