Print Thread
Hop To
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
10 months away and I'm ready to start packing for my cat hunt. I hate to talk to my outfitter, get all itchy to go NOW.

Will be in N. Idaho between X-mas and New Years so I'm looking to update some of my winter gear. I picked up a pair of Kenetrek gaiters and looking for a good pants. My winter gear is more directed at stand hunting and slow spot/stalk; not pounding the mountain after a kitty.

I've added some wool gear to keep me warm while sweating my $&% off. I was looking at the Cabelas wooltimate pants. Good bad? I don't want to go KOM pricing though.

Thanks in advance

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I'd go a differnt route. Look for a more lightweight pair and get a good set of base layers for under them. I have the wooltimate coat, and cannot imagine chasing cats in it. Too warm, heavy, bulky, etc. Great coat, just not for active hunting in my opinion. Enjoy your visit out here.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wore these for years when outfitting for lion. Wether walking in deep snow or horseback, they worked great. Still have em.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ype=index&indexId=cat601749&rid=

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I can't find any references to Cabela's Wooltimate. But I did find the their "super wash" whip cords and regular 24 oz. pants. I've had excellent service from these. Particularly when I'm sweating my a$$ off or when the day gets warmer. I like to use Patagonia's Silkweight Capliene under them unless it's really cold, like well below zero. When that happens, I go to a medium weight capliene. E

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have both the coat and pants.

dwc5050 is correct;I would believe them to be hot and bulky when running after dogs that are on a cat.

I use them for still hunting,and for some stand hunting.I like the coat(jacket) more than the pants.The knapp of the material holds alot of snow and moisture.The jacket has become a favorite,layered with something underneath.Sometimes just a synthetic base layer,or more when it gets colder.

Funny how that anticipation of the hunt bites you hard sometimes,almost as fun as the hunt itself.

Dinsdale

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've the coat and pants as well, pants and coat are too warm to be moving in very much. I use them while calling coyotes.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I agree, way too warm. I have both the jacket and pants.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Way too hot!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like we really need some lightweight quality wool hunting clothing. I've been hoping someone would make some for a while now. We don't all hunt from tree stands in the dead of a Wisconsin winter.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have hunted farther south NM & Colo. but I have had good results with the Micro Tex pants and treating them with NIKWAX for fleece or Scotch Guard to shed snow. With Light through Expedition weight Capilene base layers they cover a good range of temperatures.

When chasing Bear a jogging suit with a warm up jacket in a pack would have been about right.

Haven't found the ideal winter pants yet.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/21/09.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.