Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
HI everybody i am new to bow shooting i am playing around with some rage 3 blade practice tips and it seems they do not fly to the same P.O.I as my field tips is this normal is it always common practise to half to retune your sites for broad heads.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The most common reason your broadhead and field points are not flying to the same POI is that the bow is out of tune. So the first thing you need to do is tune your bow. Switching to mechanicals will mask the problem - not fix it.

If you want to shoot mechanicals, I highly recommend Rocket Steelhead 100grs. They work extremely well and are virtually foolproof. Penetration is the best in class. If you want a fixed blade get a modern one designed for today's newer bow speeds. In this class, Slick Tricks and Muzzy's MX series have worked well for me. The three heads I recommended all fly to the same POI for me out to 60 yards. The rocket Steelhead goes even further. Those long shots are for practice only.

You may get some serious bashing of mechanicals on here but they work if used properly AND skipping all hard quartering shots. BTW, I do that with mechanicals and fixed broadheads anyway.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 01/19/09.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine are pretty dang close if on right on.

I use spitfires.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Deershed,

Here's the best explanation, along with pictures, I've ever seen on how to properly tune broadheads:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

To answer your question, yes it's very common to have to make tuning adjustments so your broadheads & fieldpoints hit the same spot.

Just be careful, this stuff is addictive! Good luck.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can't tell the difference between mine. Rage 3 blade.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I am archery hunting, I carry two different broadheads. Wac em 3 blade 100 grainers, and Rage 2 blade. The Rage fly GREAT out to about 30 or 40, then they start to drop off a little bit. The Wac em's fly AMAZING out to 60. If I get a close shot, I grab the Rage as I LOVE the damage they cause. If it is 40+, I grab for the Wac'em.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by himmelrr
The most common reason your broadhead and field points are not flying to the same POI is that the bow is out of tune. So the first thing you need to do is tune your bow. Switching to mechanicals will mask the problem - not fix it.

If you want to shoot mechanicals, I highly recommend Rocket Steelhead 100grs. They work extremely well and are virtually foolproof. Penetration is the best in class. If you want a fixed blade get a modern one designed for today's newer bow speeds. In this class, Slick Tricks and Muzzy's MX series have worked well for me. The three heads I recommended all fly to the same POI for me out to 60 yards. The rocket Steelhead goes even further. Those long shots are for practice only.

You may get some serious bashing of mechanicals on here but they work if used properly AND skipping all hard quartering shots. BTW, I do that with mechanicals and fixed broadheads anyway.

RH
Summed up perfectly

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why don't you just use the Wac em's all the time?

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the 2 blade Rage broad head, they fly the same as my field points, and the perfomance was impressive for me with the one buck I used them on. This being the first year I have tried them. This buck here would agree that they get the job done!

[Linked Image]

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I started shooting the rage 2 blades last year and they are impressive.I have also shot the Wac'Ems and Muzzys they all worked well.If your bow is well tuned and your broadheads dont hit right with your fieldpoints THE thing to remember is adjust your rest NOT your sights.A slight adjustment of your rest will have a big impact on where your broadheads hit and very little effect on the point of impact of field points.If your broadheads hit to th left of your field points move your rest very slightly toward the riser and fire another group of each.Of course if your broadheads hit high lower your rest slightly and so on. It will only take a few adjustments and all your arrows will be grouping the same.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot Spitfire broadheads since I started hunting in the 80's. A 100 grain Spitfire cuts an inch and a half hole and they fly exactly the same as a field point. I've convinced everyone I hunt with to use them. Everyone likes the big hole they cut. I have been one of the two bow guys in my club for many years, and I build arrows and tune bows for everyone. I put up a dozen arrows for someone yesterday. I'll tell you one thing, I've had many a "properly tuned bow" not shoot fixed blade broadheads for beans. I paper tune everything before driving myself crazy because a lot of the time, the bow is out of tune or there is contact with the rest. My buddy George had his Darton tuned perfectly, switched heads, and couldn't hit the bull at 20 yds. He tried different arrows, different vanes, and couldn't reign in the shots. He went back to Spitfires. The size of the blades and the speed of the arrow play a big role in stability. The CEO of a very large archery company told me that his fixed blade heads were down right near impossible to tune at over 280 fps. To improve stability at the high speeds hunters want today, manufacturers are going to shorter heads like slick tricks. I doubt they're an inch long. That or expandables.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Spitfire's too. I've been shooting them a long time now and killed I don't know how many deer with them. Every now and then I'll try something else and I always go back to the spitfires. I also wacked a bear with a spitfire too. Good boadhead thats been around for a few years now...which says alot about it too! Junk that dosent perform usually dosen't last long in the archery industry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the 85 gr Thunderhead and they shoot really well from my Outback and they kill really well. I have been thinking of trying the Spitfires but I have bunch of Thunderheads like four or five 6 packs and the Spitfires aren't exactly cheap so will keep on using the ones i have. from your description the Spitfires sound like they shoot and work really well.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In my opinion Thunderheads rank among the top on the fixed blade chart. I like the Spitfires and I'm going to continue to shoot them, but if I were going to switch to fixed blade, it would probably be a Thunderhead. I shot a fixed 4 blade "slick trick" last season and double lunged a doe. She hardly left a blood trail! I found her, but vowed to never shoot that head again. High lung entrance and low lung exit. She should have left a good blood trail. The only good thing about the Slick Trick is that they fly like field points with same point of impact. I'm going to stick with what works next season....Spitfires!! It it aint broke don't fix it!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never lost a deer with the Thunderhead and the blood trail is massive from a double lunger. I would love to try the Spitfires and may buy a dozen and try them this year.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot Thunderhead 85's until they legalized expandable heads here. I had been shooting Spitfires in CT and was very happy to use them here. I started when I was fifteen, that was 24 years ago, and I started out with Spitfires and Thunderheads with ACC's.
My arrows have changed time and again, but the broadheads are good enough to survive the test of time.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Z
Z
I LOVE SPITFIRES. They shoot the same as my field points. I only pull 48lbs. and on the two deer I have shot with them I got complete pass throughs and blood trails ray charles could follow as well they both combined didn't run 80 yds. As well the spitfire left a huge hole (both entrance and exit). I won't shoot another broadhead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know its been said but if weight of broadead and field point are the same they should fly to same POI. If they dont your bow is out of tune. Thats fact. Had the pleasure of attending one of High Country Archery's tech schools several years ago. So the bow out of tune thing isnt a guess. Tuning may be as simple as rotating the arrow nock tho. But i never move my sights when switching from broadheads to field points and vice versa.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mine do and of course one needs to paper tune just to be on the safe side. I shoot Rocky Mountains GATOR XP's which is THE best mechanical on planet earth sold exclusively through bass pro I DARE ANYONE TO TRY THEM ON GAME OR PRACTICING.........................IF YOU DO YOUR DONE WITH WHAT YOUR SHOOTING(Spitfire Fans). To say the least the same company that makes the RAGE make the Gator XP, which I think the Gator is better and don't have the rubber dampner like the RAGE and cost much least.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...16_450002003_450000000_450002000_450-2-3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd have to see how one does on my steel burn barrel test.

Phil
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.