Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TSEMP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Anyone know anything about carolina precesion rifles? Their rifles look interesting but wanted to know if anyone had info good or bad about them.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John Lewis runs Carolina Precision Rifles. Nice guy and does good work. He has built several rifles for me over the years. Only negative I can say is he is slow getting things done.Rick.

T
TSEMP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks for the info. Maybe now he would be slow and and need the work? Do you still have the rifles he built for you? If so can you post them so we can see the rifles along with their info. That would be awesome! You can PM me if you want.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
PM sent.Rick.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You have a PM but in a single word ----DON"T!

IC B2

R
R
All quality gunsmiths are going to be slow in the eyes of the customer. We are at the mercy of our vendors and quality work takes time. Most quality gunsmiths are backed up several months or years.

Nat Lambeth

Nathaniel G. Lambeth, Sr.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I sent him a REM 700 BDL which I bot new and wouldnt hold a group under 2" with a good scope and from a bench. I thought it should do better than that.

He was advertising an "accuracy tuneup" for factory rifles at the time. It was awhile ago so I'm not sure what all it was supposed to include. It took a very long time for the work that was supposedly done. Communication skills were very poor, terrible really. I could not tell that any work had been done on my rifle at all when I got it back. It took 3 times longer than he quoted. He'll never touch another rifle of mine again.

And BTW, the accuracy was not improved on that rifle, not even a little.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sent him a barrel for rechambering and an action to fit it to. No difficulty with the project! This was several years ago. The work was performed in a timely manner and performed quite well. Would use him again for a project. Good work does take time amd your patience is important. He is hard to contact since he is pretty busy and returns phone calls on his schedule. Good work and reasonable pricing!

Jerry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rustystud
All quality gunsmiths are going to be slow in the eyes of the customer. We are at the mercy of our vendors and quality work takes time. Most quality gunsmiths are backed up several months or years.

Nat Lambeth

I have a question. Why does it take a "quality" gunsmith who promises a maximum two week turnaround six months to deliver the rifle AFTER I take him all the parts (New barrel, stock, and chamber reamer) to do the job and lay them right on the work bench in front of him?

I just don't buy the we're at the mercy of our vendors and customers need to be patient argument.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 03/02/09.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The work I had done by John was excellent, but as noted he was much slower than I expected. When I got my rifle back he had lost some screws that went with my Buehler rings and bases. Never did get them back. May not seem like a big deal but the rings, bases and screws were supposed to be Black-T finished but the rings and bases were finished, just no screws. Had to order the screws direct from Buehler and have them finished separately. I wouldn't use him again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"allen day>

Posted 21 November 2002 08:50
In the Carolinas, I'd give my custom rifle business to John Lewis ahead of anyone else.

AD"

http://www.cprifles.com/

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You need to remember Allen is both a celebrity and a living legend ... I'm sure he'd be moved to the front of the line by many rifle-makers.

I don't think anyone doubts that John is a talented machinist, the problem comes with his general lack of business acument, the in-ability to follow thru on committments and the apparent lack of being able to tell what month or year it is.

I don't know if he's disorgaized & forgetful or dumber than a box of hammers or

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
John Lewis used to work for Kenny Jarrett.

Last edited by battue; 03/02/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
TSEMP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Post some pictures of the CPR rifles boys!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would not trust this guy for nothing. It took me 28 months to get a barrel job done by him and he put the wrong barrel on. This guy has every excuse in the book and then some.
BEWARE OF THIS GUY!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is mine --- built on a MCMillan MCR-T SS action, Sunny Hill bottom metal, Pac-Nor Match-Grade gain-twist barrel, Remington trigger, McMillan stock ---- I provided every single thing component for this rifle and all he had to do was make it. Quoted me no more than 10 weeks. I made the mistake of paying 50% up-front. Well after the 10 weeks had past I decided to call and check the status --- he had "misplaced" my barrel and hadn't touched the rifle and ask what he should. I "mildly" suggested that he might have called me instead of wasting almost 4 months --duh! I sent him a new barrel --- time goes by and well over a year later (after literally dozens of unanswered phone calls) I finally had enough and told him to send me his bill and whatever parts he still had. I should also add that he lost the Remington trigger I'd sent (and charged me retail to replace it), he lost the set of Talley mounts I had sent (I told him to forget it) and he never painted the stock (let me add he bedded the barreled-action so crooked it was hard to get the floor-plate open and I had a local stockmaker fix it for me ---- I should add he charged me for eveything he had done despite the fact he didn't do everthing he agreed to do --- I paid it just to get rid of him.

The good news is the rifle shoots great and as I hoped, I picked up some additional velocity with the gain-twist barrel and it shot 165gr, 180gr and 200gr Nosler Partitions well under moa. The bad news the whole process left such a bad taste in my mouth the gun just sits in my safe as everytime I take it out it reminds me how badly I got taken. Here are some pics --still unpainted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The bolt came fluted from McMillan
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This 'smith sounds like a real screwball....Anyone would be crazy to send him work after seeing the number of negative posts here.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
This thread is starting to show a pattern!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
DB Bill,
How did you get your stock from McMillan like that?
Also, do you know if Pac-Nor still offers gain twist barrels?
Thanks,
JessG

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
He rebarreled me a nice 358 winchester but he was so increably slow. I have had whole rifles built in less time then it took him to rebarrel this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,804
Posts18,477,500
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.