Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I looked out the window into the woods behind my house earlier, right before sunset, and there were about 12-15 buzzards in the same tree about 50 yards from my house. I have noticed the same thing about this time of year for the last 3-4 years. Only lasts 1 or 2 days and they are always in the same tree. Two years ago there must have been at least 50. They all tried to get in the same tree, but some had to settle for another nearby tree.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget to take your blood pressure medicine.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
five yrs ago i was working in a new subdivision here in town. there was a older house across the street and there was a buzzard on the roof. the next day the buzzard was trying to get in the house picking on the windows. i figured something had to be wrong so i called the police and explaned to the dispatcher what i had seen. i waited about a hour and no one had shown up so i called again to see why no one had shown up and she said she thought i was yanking her chain. they finally got someone out there and found the old guy that lived there by himself dead

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, couldn't help myself. The book says they mate March throug September.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why, do we need more dumocrats?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are migrating. If they are black vultures, they may be setting up housekeeping and planning to stay, but if they are turkey vultures, they are probably moving north. They stop periodically and feast on road kill, etc., to restore their fat reserves and then move on.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why, is Obama and Michele trying to have another baby?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Migration makes sense. First time I saw them I thought something was dead in the woods. But to be in the same tree year after year at the same time of year could not be a coincidence.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I rear ended one last spring. Was driving my Freightliner to work and a flock flew off a hillside in front of me. One turned and tried to fly straight up the road ahead of me. The thump was so loud I thought I had damaged the top of the sleeper but when I stopped and looked I could not find any damage. I always feel bad hitting any animal but rear ending a buzzard was almost funny.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago 2 young turkeys ran out in the road in front of my truck. I had to slow almost to a stop to keep from hitting them. Instead of crossing the road they just ran in front of my truck for over 100 yards. I finally hit my horn so I could get on to where I was going. Both took flight but the one on the right turned left and the one on the left turned right. Midair collision at about 15 feet and a tumble on the road. My 10 year old son was with me. We both laughed so hard we literally were in tears.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I popped one in a Nissan 240sx at 60mph one day. Same scenerio, they were feasting on road kill and when I came by I scared them up and the one must have been a lard @ss because he didn't gain altitude fast enough. Glanced right off the windshield but did not break it. I bet it launched him 20 feet straight up and I watched him take his last flight through the rear view mirror. I was shocked (and lucky)that it didn't come through.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
They are migrating. If they are black vultures, they may be setting up housekeeping and planning to stay, but if they are turkey vultures, they are probably moving north. They stop periodically and feast on road kill, etc., to restore their fat reserves and then move on.

I've watched them for years here, and they arrive here in March and leave again in October.
If you ever open up the guts on one, be ready to heave.
Biggest one I've seen up close had a white head (instead of red) and its wingspan was 62".

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F
I always feel bad hitting any animal but rear ending a buzzard was almost funny.

Had a buddy take one down the left intake of his F/A-18A just after dropping a bomb at a range in Florida. He found it pretty sporty for a bit and less than funny but managed to get the get home to to Cecil field. The GE 404 motor didn't look too good though. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can see where that would not be a laughing matter!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 31 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.