Print Thread
Hop To
#2780196 02/01/09
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am making a trip up near Flin Flon this spring and would like some advice re the lake trout. I've made the trip before but spent most of the time with the Pike.
How do you do it ?

Last edited by headspace; 02/01/09. Reason: spelling
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For jigging, I use a 1/2 ounce jig head with a white double curly tail, dipped in banana scent.

Trolling the surface, I use a 2-3 inch polar bear hair fly off the planer boards, at 1-2.5 knots.

From shore, you can take a smelt, jam pieces of styrofoam up his butt to make him float, and put a sinker about 2 feet up the line.

Off the downriggers, I like kwik fish 1-2 feet off the bottom, and no faster than 1 knot.

Line makes a big difference. I use 12 pound maxima.

These are not bear hair, but they work.

http://www.friskyjennyflies.com/Order_Page.html

Chartreuse is a laker color

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Much obliged. Can do the jigs, but will not be equiped for any of the other techniques. Thanks.
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, from the shore you can throw spoons and spinners off deep ledges.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I assume vertical jigging or spoons from a boat on the contours ?

Last edited by headspace; 02/03/09. Reason: spelling
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
we jig for them in Lake Superior with 2-6 oz jigs. either bucktail or twister tial grub. White seems to be the best, but glow and chartruese also worked. We jigged in 80-400' of water. So the big jigs helped. Lakers have big mouths and eat big stuff. Don't be afraid of using large baits. We used fast action Musky rods with braid line on them. 30# braid with about a 5' leader of 15# mono so if you get snagged you can break it off. Just use a double-uni knot to attach them, works great. the braid allows you to feel the jig on bottom at depth and also has very little stretch so you can set the hook at depth. Where we jigged for them, it was mostly rocky, but where we troll for them in Lake Michigan, they prefer a clay bottom. Keep in mind, if you get into a big school of them, the same size ranges typically hang out together. so if you are on 6# fish, the likelyhood of a 20-30# are low. Conversly, if you are getting fewer and larger fish, you are in the right spot for the big boys. At least in Lake Superior, the big ones will eat the little ones, so they dont live side by side. In Lake Michigan, there seems to be some larger and smaller fish mixed in, but that is a trolling prospective so you cover more ground too. Lakers like it slow. less than 2.0 mph for the most part. We do catch them fast on the surface in the spring before the thermoclines set up and the water is all one temp. After the thermos set, they are typically on the bottom near structure or drop offs.
Good luck.

Salmonhead
J
J
I don't have the right gear to fish them in open water, but I'm just starting to figure out how to catch them through the ice. A live sucker right on the bottom or a foot off has been working fairly well for me.

My fledgling shooting and fishing website: www.carbinecountry.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
we jig for them in Lake Superior with 2-6 oz jigs.

We've done well trolling for grease balls off Stannard Rock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.