Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was considering purchasing a pair of Schnne's Hunter II 13" boots. Anyone use them? Reviews? I plan to use them in CO mtns chasing elk and deer in late season...is this the right/good boot for mtn hunting? Thank you.

http://www.schnees.com/product_categories/157/products/2265-schnee-s-13-inch-hunter-ii

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pac boots are of limited utility elk hunting... they're really just "ok"... really don't have the stiffness or support needed for the mountains IMO.

Yeah, we've got a pile of Pac boots here including Schnees...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
High quality product from my experience, prefer the Bison over the leather upper in the Extreme cold Pac boot is better. The Hunter II is good for forrest walking, mud and snow. The 11" height is more suitable for walking, over that you notice the lack of flexibility in the ankle.

The boots do not offer the type of foot protection (rubber), support, and traction for steep terrain/rocks with the same type of support as hiking boot. The removable wool liners are excellent for staying warm, change out at the end of the day, really works.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as Pac's are concerned Schnee's are great. White's 13" elk hunter's are great as well IMO.

Both of them give as much support as a boot designed for upland bird hunting... maybe.

I own the Schnee's and like them. I don' use them unless the snow and temperature make them the only viable option.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I love my set and for the late season I think the Schnee's are a great boot, definitely too warm for early season elk and deer though.

They also work great for winter bird hunting and I know a lot of guys who love them for Lion hunting.

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I disagree with Brad.

I've used Schnee's 13" Hunters for years hunting elk with great success. When it comes to late season hunting in the snow, especially in my home state of Montana where it gets really cold..... they are my go to footwear!

I've used them with horses and on backpack hunts with no problems.... I've found they are great in the mountains especially on steep sidehills where the tread really grips....

I agree with MontanaPH that they are too warm for early season hunting but that's not what they're designed to do.... they're designed to keep you warm when the snow is flying.

Mystery Ranch Backpacks
Bozeman Montana USA
www.mysteryranch.com
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Jason-

I've worn Schnee pacs for a number of years. As others have posted, they are warm, & not for early season use. These are the only pac boots I have ever owned that offer some degree of lateral traction. The quality is such that I don't think I could ever go back to anything less.

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks...was planning on using them for late season deer/elk hunts when its 10-20s out. I found a couple kinds/versions...some cheaper and some more expensive...which 13" do you recommend? Some are $200+ while others are $150???

http://www.elkcountrytradingpost.co...cts/7064-schnee-13-inch-arctic-pac-boots

http://www.elkcountrytradingpost.com/product_categories/25/products/7016-schnee-s-13-inch-hunter-ii

Thanks!

Last edited by JasonEitutis; 03/13/09.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the others, they'er not for warm weather but unbeatable in snow and cold. again they'er my go to boots for cold weather. Mine are the 16" that extra 3" have come in handy when crossing a few streams.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a pair, and bought a pair for my son to hunt in this year. This is the second season I've used them. I may have got a bad rubber batch, the lower rubber portion on each side is cracking. Also the eyes the laces go through are soft and the constant movement while walking makes the laces grove into the eyes. This in turn wears out the laces. I go through a set of laces every other week while using them during hunting season. I use them for lion hunt too. Other than that there as good a winter hunting boot as you can get.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like mine. I have the hunter II 13". I use them in the winter mostly. I did use them on one elk hunt this fall. My feet were warm and dry. I used them in our early season "blizzard" hunting deer in eastern Montana. I was really glad I had them as the only other boots I brought were my Schnee's Bozemans. They wouldn't have cut it out in that muck.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks everyone...I am gonna pick a pair of the Hunter II up. They run true to size?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For a 1/2 size go up one. Get the second set of liners when you order.

Great choice!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a pair of the 13 inch,should have gotten the 11 inch.Great late season boot.If there isn't snow I am not wearing them.Very well made.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 4100fps
I've got a pair, and bought a pair for my son to hunt in this year. This is the second season I've used them. I may have got a bad rubber batch, the lower rubber portion on each side is cracking. Also the eyes the laces go through are soft and the constant movement while walking makes the laces grove into the eyes. This in turn wears out the laces. I go through a set of laces every other week while using them during hunting season. I use them for lion hunt too. Other than that there as good a winter hunting boot as you can get.
This is a common problem if you use nylon laces. The nylon wears away the metal and creates an edge that ends up cutting through the laces. If you get your eyelets replaced and change to some non nylon laces it will take care of this. I had this same problem with my Danner's that was exacerbated by my narrow feet. I have to tighten the laces down so much that it puts the eyelets at a bad angle. This has all been fixed though by doing what I said above. I haven't had to buy laces in months.

Last edited by GrosVentreGeorge; 03/18/09. Reason: spelling
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JasonEitutis
thanks everyone...I am gonna pick a pair of the Hunter II up. They run true to size?
You won't be disappointed. I have the Hunter II's and a pair of the Arctic 13's that I live in from November to February for both work and hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GrosVentreGeorge, Could you talk about the warmth of the 2 styles you have, want to order a pair not sure which to order? Also has anyone used the imported model or the ones built in house?

C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have the imported version. The stitching is sub-par along the rubber bottom where the leather meets. They fit well enough that I live with it. If I had to do it again I would buy the Montana made ones. I also have un-insulated version which I love.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've sure been happy with mine, just make sure you get the "advantage" tread, not the tire tread, which seems to last longer, but is pretty much worthless on sidehills. The nice thing about Schnee's is that if you wear out the tread, they'll resole them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One pair of Schnees pacs and two pairs of liners is all I take in the hills anymore. At night, dry them buy the fire and in the morning swap out the liners and you are ready to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 67 invisible), 3,337 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.