-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes nice wabbit killers! All I have a this time are a 4, 6 and 7.5 inch 629. The 5 inch is my favorite barrel length, best of all worlds.

Mackay good to see you are keeping your hind end safe! Great pics as always!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yep, the 29-2 had no such critter, nor did the short lived 29-1.

I believe Elmer had one; of course he did!

I don't think Elmer had one, but his son did, IIRC.

I kinda like the 5" as a decent compromise although I don't have one. If I did it should be in a vault.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have two 4 screw Mod 29's a 4" & a 6" ,carried the 4" for several years but now carry and shoot a 3" 629. Most likely my favorite. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Yes nice wabbit killers! All I have a this time are a 4, 6 and 7.5 inch 629. The 5 inch is my favorite barrel length, best of all worlds.

Mackay good to see you are keeping your hind end safe! Great pics as always!

Elkhunter76,

It sounds like you have a seriously nice collection of Stainless S&W .44s. Thank you by the way, I am still working away in the desert. I have a couple of interesting pics from today, though completely off topic.

We were out doing our thing and a toddler approaches totally unafraid and crawls right up in my lap in my vehicle and proceeds to play with everything I am wearing and everything in my vehicle. Cute kid, typical boy, going for the things he should not play with right off the bat. Made me wish badly to be home playing with my daughter. I gave him a couple of Jolly Rancher hard candies and made a buddy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sand storm coming in.

To the OP,
I apologize for going so far off topic. I am a certified .44 nut by the way.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on my 3rd 629. Have owned a 8-3/8", 5" full lug, and presently have a 4" Mtn. gun. The 4" is my favorite of 'em all. I put Pachmeyer round butt grips on it. It's the most "shootable" of the bunch.
Virgil B.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't use my M29 for hunting but more for just a general carry gun while in the woods. I used to have a 6.5" but switched to a 4" Mountain Gun. Much nicer for carrying but much more recoil with full loads but considering that I carry it a lot more then I shoot it I'll take the extra recoil.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Though I'm not a real accomplished handgunner, for what my 2 cents are worth, I like the 5" on my 629 a great deal. It's a good compromise. Also have to echo going to Milt Sparks for a holster. I'm well pleased with both.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How'd you get them all to line up like that so you could shoot em?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
which? the sights or the rabbits?

smile

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's your favorite barrel length for a .44 revolver? Mostly for hanging in the safe and an occasional trip to the range

Hello
I Prefer the 4" length. Long enough to take Game, Yet short enough to carry comfortable. I use a factory S&W shoulder rig to carry mine when Hunting.. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Guess my first question would be what are you going to shoot for loads? If it is mostly 1100 fps and less a 4" is sure nice...but in the .44 Magnum full loads in the 4" gun get "old" real quick.

My favorite 29 was the 6.5" original 1/2 lug configuration. Never cared for the full lug guns until I shot a friends 629 5". The gun was an original 6" no- pinned/recessed gun that was only made the first year of production. My friend had the barrel chopped to 5" but the smith who did the work, while an excellent rifle smith, didn't really make the gun look like an original S&W...so it never got shot much. About 15 years later my friend called the factory to have his gun put back to original but just asked.. "You don't have any 5" barrels do you...?"....and they did. One left from a special run of full underlug barrels that had been Mag-Na-Ported. But the full underlug never balanced for him but he loved my 629-2 Mountain Revolver so we traded...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have it and a 629-5 Mountain Gun for .44s left just having sold my last 29-2 6.5". I don't shoot .44 Magnum much since I love the .41 Magnum but keep these two around...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So far things have boiled down to two issues.

1. The gun has been back at Smith for two weeks and they haven't decided yet, what they want to do about it.

2. Model 29's went out of production some time ago. It appears that all they have on hand are the 6-1/2" blue, half lug barrels they are putting on the "Classic" 29's.

If all I can do is keep my 8-3/8",(hopefully pinned this time), or switch to the 6-1/2" half lug I'll probably beat my head against the wall and then flip a coin.

If that comes up for the 6-1/2" I'll still want that pinned plus getting my 8-3/8" back.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
twodogs that sounds like a deal to go with!

Mackay over the years I have had several 29's and 629's. Had a BBQ gun like General Stuart posted, but it was a bit too shiny for my tastes. Had an 8 3/8" 29 like twogdogs is having issues with. Traded it for a 6" Stainless 29 that was a piece of junk new from the factory. It was severely out of time new in the box. It got sent back and then traded. The only 29 I really regret losing was a 4" P&R I sold to my brother mad with the understanding that IF he ever decided to sell it it was to come back to me. Jackass got in a bind and sold it to a pawn shop! mad We don't talk much anymore......among other reasons.

BTW great pictures. Kids are kids everywhere. Too bad those youngsters have had to suffer the idiocy of tyrants.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...your one "problem" to getting a pinned barrel is not having a "pinned" frame... I doubt S&W would drill your frame just to put in a pin...but that sure would be nice...

Have you ever thought about just selling this one when it comes back and then buying exactly what you want?

Bob

twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've never really considered selling it and never thought that there may be a problem getting this one pinned. This whole deal was supposed to be, send it in, decide what to have done, do it.

So far I haven't gotten past the "send it in" part. I guess I thought that they'd do anything, within reason, under their lifetime warranty. It may get put to the test on this.

I do expect to have to pay a fair price for anything over and above that.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not only should they pin it, they should give you a factory action job and at least 1/4 coverage engraving for your trouble. Although I'm not sure if they engrave SS.

I've got a nickel 8 3/8th 29-2 bought in '78, a 629 Mountain Gun in '92, and a 57 4-in. in '08. I need more N-frames. Sure would like a nickeled 29-2 like Gen. Stuart's.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..I have never heard of a post-1981 crush fit barrel unscrewing before... I have several, mostly Mountain Guns, and they are some of the best shooting Smiths I have ever owned.

Bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both the 4 and 6 inch Model 629. My favorite barrel length is 4 inch

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
twodogs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, Snit,

Here's the way it's shaking out. Smith says the barrel is straight and lines up with the frame top ribs "within their production specs". PLUS, they aren't set up to drill and pin barrels anymore.

I mentioned that I am willing to pay for a new barrel installation if that were an option.

The rep confirmed that I can have my barrel removed and a 6-1/2" half lug installed BUT, there would be little or no chance that the new barrel bluing would match the old frame. It may be close but no guarantee. His recommendation was that he would leave it as is, regardless who would be paying for it.

While I wouldn't compare it to any of generalstewart's beauties, it does have its own features. I've got both sets of the factory grips for it, the regular checkered and the smooth, grooved, combat grips. It doesn't have a mark on it except for the cylinder stop drag marks and, being a -3, it really isn't as valuable as the -1 or -2 series.

I believe I'm on the brink of having them send me the shop report, stating the barrel to frame match is per their specs and just leaving the original barrel on it.

Much ado about nothing?

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,176
Posts18,484,670
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.