Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
There seems to be confusion over the models of the 99 Savage. I was reading Phil Sharp's 1938 book The Rifle in America which was written when Savage had eight models of rifles in production and Sharp described them. So, relying on his knowledge, I'll lay them out, since it's very difficult to determine what model it is from the rifle its self. This doesn't include any models SINCE 1938, of course, like the detachable mag rifles. And no models not in production that year. But those data are available elsewhere. If this is a repeat post, I apologize, but for years I was confused about models until I read the book, which unconfused me. I thimk.

I would also say that a stock and fore-end can make a difference in model. The G, the EG, and the R are basically the same rifle except for the stock configuration. So is the R. The takedowns are in a class of their own, but even then a stock change can make a model difference.

So here goes. He says first that all levers are case hardened, as of 1938, and the triggers are "matted" I gues on the surface. All the models, unless noted will have a raised ramp front sight, and an oil finish. Individually, they are:

99 F...the takedown model. A 24" barrel in the .300, everything else is 22". Lightweight straight grip stock and the "narrow" fore end, "slightly checkered." Rear sight is a flat topped buckhorn design on the barrel and adjustable for elevation only [?].

The 99 G is a solid-frame, not a take down, has a pistol grip stock and the schnable fore end with not much checkering. This is what I have. Barrel lengths are as above, 22" and 24".

The 99 H is the Featherweight model with a tapered, light weight brarel, raised ramp front sight. A 20" barrel in everything but the .300 which has a 22" barrel. Weight about 6 3/4 pounds. No checkering on the stock or fore end, and with a thicker fore end held to the barrel with a band. Straight stock.

The 99G Takedown..similar to the H but of a "better grade." I think this means stock and checkering. Pistol grip stock. The 20" and 22" barrels and with a pistol grip stock, a cap, and good ehckering. Sight changes, rear semi-buchkhorn rear and a new red bead front. "No sighting notch but a white line in the back." Weight about 7 pounds.

The 99 EG, like the G but without checkering, pistol grip stock, barrel standard to the calibers. I think it's the "economy" model.

The 99K...Takedown, with a nicer stock similar to the 99B, select wood, elaborate checkering and engraved. Action is hand fitted and stoned. A delux model.

The 99 R, which Sharp calls the neatest and best shaped in the line. Only available in .250, .303 Savage, and .300 Savage. Large seim-beavertail fore-end, standard barrel lengths. Pistol grip has a rubber cap.

The 99RS is similar to the 99 R, has a folding leaf barrel sight and gold beat front sight and a Lyman folding tang peep sight with micrometer adjustments. QD sling swivels, came with a leather sling. Another deluxe model.

The information on the rifles which were discontinued prior to 1938 is too detailed to copy but if you have one that doesn't fit into the above categories, I can look it up.

Mine is a 99G, excellent shape with most of the case hardening on the lever. It's in .300 Savage, and a good shooter. It was made in 1942.

Last edited by Gene L; 03/28/09.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gene L, It seems some of that information is different than what most here know now? no solid frame "G" rifles, and he has the "G" takedown, equipped with sights that were used on the "T" model which was manufactured from 1935-1940,which he omitted completely, the one solid framed,pistol gripped checkered rifle from that era,that i own letters as an "E" with extra pistol grip and checkering. most people here use Murrays book the "SAVAGE 99" as a reference and he isn't always correct either. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don,

Sharpe did omit any decription of the T but he does reference it unless it is a typo. Towards the end of the "Special Types" section where he is describing the EG, he says "Stock is not as well shaped as on the Model T.....". In reading through this again there are a few errors in his descriptions. This doesn't take away from this masterpiece in the least. A great reference book.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One thing I've learned is you gotta take Phil Sharpe with a small grain of salt. His book, invaluable as it is to me, is riddled with errors. Remember, in a book of that size and scope (covering literally all commercially made American rifles up until it's last printing), no one man could possibly handle, test, evaluate every single entry. He actually handled a small percentage of them. Most of the "knowledge" in that book came from correspondence with other rifle loonies, spec sheets from gun companies, testing laboratories, other writings of the day, magazine articles, etc. That doesn't explain a few innacurate descriptions of Savage rifles though. I did notice some of those innacuracies a while ago and failed to warn the world(!). What I find most useful about the book is the historical insight he offers up re: the back story of a lot of interesting guns. Also remember he was born in the late 1890's and became a gun nut when the Savages, Winchesters, Remingtons, etc. were new and exciting. He was looking at and fondling guns new on the rack that are now old and exciting guns that we look at and fondle. For me he's kind of my eyes and hands that can reach back through time.

Phil Sharpe was an interesting man. He lived not far from where I grew up, and I knew some old guys who knew him. (From one of whom I recieved a small handful of .30/06 cartridges that supposedly Sharpe himself handloaded.) He was not a real friendly guy and wasn't especially liked by his neighbors. All that gunfire, you know, plus some rumored picadilloes that we won't go into here!. I believe he commited suicide after being diagnosed with terminal cancer, at least that's what one of my old friends told me. After 4 decades or so, my memory could be faulty!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
gnoahhh,
After 4 decades or so, my memory could be faulty

Unless you are talking about the memories of those 2 legged deer which we all seem to remember in the "way" we want too. grin

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6MMWASP, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 11 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,654
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.