Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The stocked trout are on naturals. It's been about 2 weeks since the stocking truck came by and the stream looked like it was very busy today. Little brown stones are coming off. By trout season though, they'll be gone. Little blue wing olive's are coming off today too. It's cool to watch the trout smacking them as far as you can see, but it's also a bummer to know they'll be hitting pink cheese colored marshmallows come opening day. It just isn't natural.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rob p
The stocked trout are on naturals. but it's also a bummer to know they'll be hitting pink cheese colored marshmallows come opening day. It just isn't natural.

I don't know how you can do it.... I have been more fortunate, and I don't take it for granted. If you ever head this way, let me know and I'll steer you towards a bunch of trout that have never known what hatchery walls looked like...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BTW and off topic, werent you the one that had the dynamite butternut squash recipe?
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How soon you forget!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't tell me I got that wrong! blush I'm getting older and I get more and more stuff wrong every day! cry
Ingwe

IC B2

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I fry the squash with slivered almonds, dried cranberries, and brown sugar!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats da ONE! grin
Ingwe

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This was today's version.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, wow, you whacked it into smaller pieces than I did. That makes more sense...more surface area and all that. I served mine last week with ham-I always like something sweet with ham- and that sure fit the bill. Its a new "keeper" recipe, according to my wife. grin However, I keep it and I cook it, she is "domestically challenged".
I like to cook, she doesn't,and we go by camp rules here...
The camp cook doesn't do the dishes! laugh
Nice photo BTW... food is hard to photograph and make it look good, but you did it!
Ingwe

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mannlicher takes pictures of everything he posts. I just had my camera today. I love ham. I love ham with olives, and with pickled onions (red onions sliced paper thin in red wine vinegar). If you can get near an Italian food market: we have Federal Hill in Providence, I buy Castel Vetrano olives and eat them, almost in equal proportions with a nice salty ham. I made a scary ham ala Giada. The club bought a creepy 50 cent a pound "ready to cook" ham from Price Rite. I boiled it in half apple juice, half cranberry juice. After it was cooked through (meat thermometer to 160) I boiled down a couple cups of the liquid and painted it on the ham and stuck it under the broiler. That's a good way to cook a raw ham. I do believe I spend too much time thinking about food.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Red onions sliced paper thin in red wine vinegar....you just keep talkin' about food, and I'll just keep taking notes!
Thanx!
Ingwe

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll do barbecue for 200+ in August and thin sliced red onions in vinegar is a classic accompaniment to bbq pork. I used to buy big jars of pickles and green olives but I found pickled onions went over a lot better. It takes a couple days if you slice them real thin to pick up a nice taste. You can go crazy and add dill and mustard seeds and a little brown sugar, but I leave them plain, maybe just a little salt.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Duly Noted. Thanks, gonna try that on my next get together....
Barbecue for 200+ ! My god man, I could sneak in there for a plateful and not even be noticed! I'm on a roll if I have 8 guests total!
Ingwe

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pulled Pork for 200! 2 years ago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
GTFO! laugh
When I first answered your post I said to come on out and well find some wild trout...let me amend that.
Bring some 'o dat pork wit you! grin
Ingwe

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Most folks want me to bring lobsters. I drove to Syracuse NY yesterday past the Salmon River and Pulaski and a few other famous places I've heard the old timers talk about fishing. I never realized there was so much water out there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 29 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.