Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have always like the 30 carbine and , hell, even the 351 winchester was cool in the '07. The 44 mag ruger deerfield some more than a few units. so why isnt there a 357 mag semi auto carbine? is there an inherrant reason im missing or is it just so small a nich that manufacturers dont think it would sell?
i cant think of a more fun little rifle than say a 16-18" barreled 357 w/ a straight 12 round magazine.
what fun.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
plenty of levers in 357,mabey they stopped thinking about rifles in that caliber after that.

it would be a cool little rifle

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The rimmed case would cause a lot of feeding hassles, and the different loading levels would cause some hassles with certain, reliable operations, and the high useage of cast bullets would cause it to choke up the gas operations, too.

The .357 has been in use a long time, and lots of shooters are devoted to their cast bullets, and that would raise hobb with the thing. The Desert Eagle pistols are frequently returned for repair after someone doesn't read the instructions and uses cast bullets in it. They are literally soldered shut when used with cast bullets. Add to that, getting reliable feeding from all the different nose shapes (mostly flat ones, at that) would be a nightmare, too.

All in all, it would be a stupid idea, kinda like a Desert Eagle.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The rimmed case would cause a lot of feeding hassles, and the different loading levels would cause some hassles with certain, reliable operations, and the high useage of cast bullets would cause it to choke up the gas operations, too.

The .357 has been in use a long time, and lots of shooters are devoted to their cast bullets, and that would raise hobb with the thing. The Desert Eagle pistols are frequently returned for repair after someone doesn't read the instructions and uses cast bullets in it. They are literally soldered shut when used with cast bullets. Add to that, getting reliable feeding from all the different nose shapes (mostly flat ones, at that) would be a nightmare, too.

All in all, it would be a stupid idea, kinda like a Desert Eagle.

i cant follow that logic...
glocks are not supposed to be shot w/ lead bullets and people who own them know that.
I think that 357 shooters who prefer cast loads probably wouldnt be drawn to that style of rifle and if were they would know better than to shoot cast thru it.
besides, what would preclude it from being a blow back semi?
for that matter a tube fed blowback.
besides isnt the 44 mag a rimmed cartrige? theres a semi auto deerfield that figured out how to make that feed and function fine even though many shooters use lead 44's.
the model.
the MP5 is roller delayed, right? i dont think many people would say it has a function problem.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I always thought a pump in 357 and or 44mag would be a cool thing. the IMI timberwolf was one option but went out of production before I got one and now that they are out of production I would be hesitant.

While I agree a 357 auto would be a nasty little home defence carbine, a pump could cover alot of the same gound, be bale to shoot all 357 loads, possibly even handle 38 specials as well.

I wonder if the Colt Lightning design could handle the 357/44mag pressures. I think that they could fit it with a more modern stock and forearm and a 18-20" barrel it would be a rocking little carbine.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
the uberti and the beretta are good quality pump 357's. i just think a semi would be a blast.
[Linked Image]
1907 Winchester in 351win

The Winchester Model 1907 (also known as the Model 07), is a centerfire, inertia delayed-blowback operated, self-loading rifle produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company beginning in 1906 and discontinued in 1958. This rifle loads cartridges from a 5 or 10-round capacity, detachable box magazine located immediately forward of the trigger guard. [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I know, personally, at least four people who've fupped duck their Desert Eagles using cast bullets. Even though the manuals say NOT TO USE LEAD BULLETS, THEY DID SO, ANYWAY. Thus causing them to fork out basically the whole cost of a new DE to get it repaired. People can be really stupid at times, can you follow THAT logic?
You can't do a blowback semi-auto in .357, as the bolt would have to weigh five pounds to be safe enough to operate the thing without it unlocking too damn soon, and blowing out the case head.

But if you can't see the logic there, there ain't no hope for ya. You'll also note that Ruger's already discontinued the Deerfield, ringing any bells yet? Ruger repaired a lot of them with lead-soldered actions, too.
Lots of Glocks go kaboom when overused with lead bullets, too, polygonal rifling and cast bullets don't go well together. H&K doesn't recommend cast bullets in the MP-5, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Marlin Camp 9 was a step in the right direction, at least it got the 357 boolit and goes well with a 9MM Ruger Blackhawk, convertible.

g

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd like to go the other way with a little bolt gun in .357.
A 357 Max would be ideal with the ability to shoot 38spl,357mag and 357Max an omnivore of a woods bum/truck gun.

I have a Marlin 1894 in 357 and it is an amazingly little fun gun that gets shot more than any of my centerfire rifles.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a saved magazine article on conversion of a Winchester 35 WSL or 351 WSL semi-auto rifle to 357 Magnum. Seemed to be an easy job.

Bruce

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In a semi-auto carbine, a 357 Sig would get you there.

BUT, the Marlin 44 lever Dramatically outsells the 357.

Thus, I doubt anyone is interested in making one.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stray round
I'd like to go the other way with a little bolt gun in .357.

Use a 223 action and brass for a rimless 357 Max. Headspace on the case mouth.

A 7.62x39 bolt face should work for 357 rims. You're on your own for getting it to feed. grin

Bruce

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one of the CZs in 7.62x39 but I sure wouldn't think about unscrewing the barrel.

I'm thinking the reason Marlin sells more 44mags is that they make more of them. I know that doesn't sound logical but when have firearms makers been logical?

I see a lot of the Marlin 44mags sitting in stores but never see the .357s. I continually looked for one in 357 and tried ordering and finally came across ONE and purchased it.

That was 15+ years ago and have not seen but a couple since at stores or gunshows.

I have a feeling that the Rossi 1892 is sold more in 357 than 44. But that is just a guess.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A gunsmith I knew several years ago had a customer bring up
the idea of a bolt action .25ACP. Im sure it could be done,
but I doubt if people would be lining up to buy them. He
also had plans of building a .22-250/12GA on a Savage Model
24 action, I havent talked to him in a few years, might have
to give a call some time and see if it worked out, or if
he even bothered.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

335 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.