Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not to me they don't. I've got and use Lee dies for the .243, the .25-20, the .280, the .308, and the 30'06 in rifles. I've got their dies in .38 special/.357 Magnum, the 10mm auto, and the .45 ACP in handguns. I particularly like their Collet Neck Sizing Dies for the .280, and the .308.
I've used and still use RCBS dies. While I do prefer them for partial sizing some of my cases, if they produce any better ammunition than the Lee dies, I haven't noticed it.
I also use their case triming system. Even had them custom make a case lenth gauge/stem for my .25-284. Works perfectly.
I suspect all you'd have to do is spend a few minutes on the phone with them and the problem would be taken care of. E

GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
IMHO when I talk to folks that like and use Lee, they don't load much typically. IE it gets the job done one some form or fashion.

I've used lee primer tools for years, and they are cheap pot metal stuff, Lee will send replacement parts for free, in multiples. Tells me they don't expect that stuff to last long in volume use.

Nothing wrong with that typically if it gets done what you want done.

I've had issues with about all brands of dies at one time or another, the sole exception has been Redding so far, and did have one minor exception there even that was my fault for pushign too hard, but solved with a Forster.

I try to avoid Lee at all cost, but do still have some and they do work OK. Not any better than that though.

I"m running Lee in 32-20 right now and its giving me fits. Time for a new set of dies I think.

And there is the WORD on Lee dies. IME.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rost495 as usual nails it right on.

Lee Dies can get the job done, I shot a 1/2" group with the ammo I cobbled together with the sucky ones today. The point is there are better dies out there (which admittedly cost more).

But even though I limped along loading a few rounds with the 7.62x54R dies I won't use them to reload the brass. There's no need to overwork the necks by improperly resizing them back down to fit .308 bullets. Ruining expensive brass is a quick way to loose any price advantage that these Lee dies offered.................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It always seems to turn out the same way time and again. The little bit you save buying lee dies the first time end up costing you double when you finally breakdown and buy a set of quality dies for the same cartridge. crazyBut on the bright side you have a decent shell holder, and another lil yeller powder scoop. whistle to go with the set of proper dies.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only Lee dies I have are 9mm. No problems, but dies last 'forever' so the difference in price between Lee and others is not really a factor. Lee stuff seems to be made to a lower standard than the others. This works for many, but not everyone.

The only thing they have that seems to be widely accepted is their collet dies. May have to try them one of these days.

RCBS and Redding for me.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm not a Lee die enthusiest, much prefer RCBS or the high dollar Reddings, but mostly just stick with RCBS, they been working well for more than 50 plus years for me...

If I order the big bore hard to get dies and they are special order then I go to Hornady Custom shop as they run about $100 or more dollars cheaper that special RCBS dies and they are almost as good..

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used both Lee and RCBS, in popular calibers, with no problems.

Lee Collet Dies are the cat's meow, IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read your same exact post on another site and I'll respond the same.

I have had good luck with Lee 4 die pistol sets in a variety of calibers with a fair amount of ammo loaded.

I have not used Lee rifle dies so I can't speak to that.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,616
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.