Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hi All,

Re HS Precision or similar standard rifles where accuracy is paramount and action tolerances are tight, has anyone run into any problems of any kind in the field if the rifle happened to have a bit of dust, dirt, snow, etc in the action?

I ask 'cause I'm considering one in .375 H&H and don't want to have to use the blunt end on angry critters! I realise that the H&H has a belt and that might help but all responses are appreciated; beltless cartridges especially.

Thanks,

Bighammer

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A question and an observation. What do you consider good accuracy in a rifle where "accuracy is paramount?"

I once had a 22-250 I wanted to sell; Remington was the brand. It was a quite accurate rifle by the way. Prior to selling it, I shined it all up and cleaned the barrel. When I got it to the gun store to make my trade, the bolt wouldn't close. The problem turned out to be a thread or two from a cleaning patch that had somehow become attached to the bolt and when they were removed, the bolt closed normally.

So, my answer would be that if this could happen to a Remington, it could happen to an HS Precision rifle or even another rifle where accuracy wasn't paramount. Is accuracy of paramount importance in a Remington?

I've been lusting after HS Precision's handguns for a long time and, in the course of time, will probably buy one. I wouldn't hesitate to use an HS Precision rifle for anything but in the rifle line I have others I prefer, i.e., Encore and Blaser (let the tomato throwing begin).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've shot both a HS in a .308 Pistol and 7mm WSM Rifle, my hunting buddy in NY has both of these. I shot both at the range and I put six shots into the same 1/2" group at 100 yards. They were by far the most accurate rifle and pistol I've ever shot.

I hunted deer with him and used his 7mm, didn't connect with any deer. The one complaint I have with that rifle is we did a couple of drives and it is very heavy. It is a great beanfield rifle but I'd hate to hump it around elk country. I don't know what model of HS he had but I'm guessing it was around 11 lbs with scope. It rained and snowed the whole hunt last year didn't have any problems with function of the rifle.

My buddy had a .375 RUM in HS as well. Even after the brake was installed he still couldn't stand to shoot it. He sold it and was able to get the .308 pistol with the money from it.

But I have to wonder if a regular M700 wouldn't shoot as good? I've had ADL synthetics shoot better than MOA with nothing but a decent hand load and trigger job. If I were to bed them in a quality stock I think I could have got them near 1/2 MOA with a little practice.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Firstly, thanks to you and Grumulkin. My reference to accuracy was connected to the 'tighter than normal' tolerances in the likes of HS and the possibility of a small amount of gunk causing problems. To answer Grumulkin's question of how accurate, I say consistently 0.5 - 0.75 moa at 100m in a big game rifle off the bench.

Given both your experiences, I guess the obvious answer is to ensure that the action is kept clean in which case the rifle will handle most conditions.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
HS rifles are [bleep],as are their stocks.

Their DBM's and barrels are far more sound.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.