Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

Hello all,

I know its been a while since I've posted, but I've talked to some of you privately quite a bit. As some of you, probably most of you know, as Ron leaked the pending return of the 99 himself about a year ago in a letter I recall being posted on this forum, that there has been a serious production effort underway to bring back the 99. It has been a very challenging road, exceptionally so, given the designed to be hand fit nature of our beloved 99. However, we overcame it all and were able to come up with CAD files for the 99 for the first time.
Unfortunately, even with modern technology being employed, it looks like production costs are coming in too high for general production. Now I ask that you NOT start writing Savage or calling the main office. In my opinion they've looked at this in good faith and really have put in a lot of time, money and effort to try and bring the 99 back. The simple issue the economics of making this rifle just aren't there for a standard production run, however, I do have another thought that I'd like your opinion on.
IF I can get significant interest among the collectors to indicate that there is some economic viability to start production of the 99 on a custom basis, this would permit us to return the 99 to production, if only on a custom basis, so that you can get the 99 again, but also so that we can start working on those production costs such as tooling and fixtures as well as see if in actual practice we can bring the price down to where it needs to be to get into general production. If we can't, then at least those who really want this rifle will have the ability to order.
My main concern at this moment is the cost and what the market (you) are willing to pay for such a piece, especially considering the number of 99's in the market place at reasonable prices from earlier production runs. In some real sense the strength and reliability of this rifle is also its downfall for getting back into production. On a custom basis I can add items to the rifle that would make it more appealing and do some things that weren't done originally. Also, I can replicate anything you've seen or wanted to see that originally was.
So the ball is now in your court. If you'd have interest in a Custom Model 99, email me at Savage99SharpsRifleCompany.com. Feel free to send pictures, any and all comments, anything you'd want to see, etc. Engraving, bluing styles, case hardening, grades of wood, style of stocks, etc. I can say right now that a base "custom" would probably still run over a thousand, so keep that in mind when you write, but I will promise to do my best to get them out for the best price we can.

Let the emailing begin.....

Mike

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why don't they use Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) and investment cast the major components. MIM the small parts (I know, they suck but work) and farm out the barrels to anyone but Wilson?

The new Model 70 (I think) are all farmed out except for the action.

Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sent my email... smile

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

Thanks! and to answer some of your questions as I'm sure others will have them:

We have the Savage 99, 100% done in CAD, so technically we can cut them out of billet tomorrow if we had the demand, but thats not the best way to do it. So a little lead time to get tools and dies for forging setup would be what is required.

The only way I want to do this is under the full blessing of Savage with a variance in place so we can make sure they are marked as they should be SAVAGE.

And as the custom features go, basically whatever you want to pay for you can have. We can do any finish you want, engrave to any level, etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is what a 99K is worth in 2009 dollars:

$80.00 in 1930 had about the same buying power as $977.81 in 2009.
Annual inflation over this period was about 3.22%.

I do have thoughts of what I would like, just not the cash to fund it!

Blair

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by model70man
Why don't they use Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) and investment cast the major components. MIM the small parts (I know, they suck but work) and farm out the barrels to anyone but Wilson?

The new Model 70 (I think) are all farmed out except for the action.

Thanks...Bill.

Bill, I'm not in command and control at Savage, but I know they did look at all the options, casting being one of them, I believe the issue still comes down to cost of assembly along with the production problems and market questions that surround any product. Part of why I believe the custom root could fix some issues because I can then say for sure with the new parts, models, etc. exactly what the time to assemble is and get all the variables down to know figures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to searching for a 99 7mm-08 by the looks of things.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGopher

I can say right now that a base "custom" would probably still run over a thousand

I would think that a base custom new 99 in 7mm-08 for a grand or so is not at all a bad deal when one clip model just sold for $2400 on GB. If the new production has quality, which it just might, Looks to be a bargain...!!!

JMO, Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't get your email address to be accepted so I'll just post this here.

IF the cost was around a grand to 1300(ish) dollars I would be interested in a 7-08 Rem. Especially if it was a rotary mag model. What would be the possibility of a 6.5x55? I am not sure if that action length would be a problem.

Thanks for your time

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be interested in what a base model would look like. Are we talking an 1899 setup, an early 99 setup, 50's style? The receiver didn't differ much during that time frame, so I guess I'd be largely interested in the stock pattern, checkering style, etc.

Rotary mag, lever safety, counter window, no "gold" triggers or other post-1960 features are all presumptions I'm making?

I might be willing to go to a grand for a re-introduction of a 99G, or a 1930's 99R/99T/99H, or even a 99EG or 99F. Especially if it was offered in 7mm08, 284 Win, or other hard to find cartridges.

Any prototypes made up? Pictures available?

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't think a custom 99 starting at $1000 is overpriced by any means. I would be interested in seeing pictures of prototypes, with available options and ball park pricing, im sure i would pick up a couple ,would be kind of nice to get a new engraved savage 99! smile Don

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dito's to what Calhoun says. I really like 1930's R's how about 22-250 or 223 as I am a varmit hunter and collector.
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As stated by others above, I'd be interested in what is offered. If it was a late production clip job then all bets are off. If a replicated earlier model that would hold some interest.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...can't buy any other custom gun for under $1500. If we'd get to pick a caliber and pay a little more for good wood and cut checkering, absolutely! ...but it would HAVE to be the rotary magazine for me, or at least make the bottom seam and release hidden better on a drop box magazine.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I couldn't get the email address to work either.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like what I'm hearing here. Rotary mag, underlever safety, cut checkering, case hardened lever, etc. Maybe you could market them like remington did with the classic line and do one caliber a year. 7-08, 22-250. 250 Sav., 270 rem.?? and to be real classic 303 Sav.. Then maybe one of the ammo folks would do another run.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I, too, would be interested in a new 99. Particularily a G in .250 Sav.

Brian

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

To put all fears to rest the designs were done on a pre-200,000 factory cutaway and a 1930's takedown. I simply didn't let the design team even look at anything post WWII. I figured if they started picking up their own models the engineers would probably grab whatever "looked" good and go from there. The magazine came up half a dozen times, as its easier to make, but Ron and I agreed with those from the board we talked to and said no magazines. NO gold triggers. Fire blued, maybe.

The only significant design change that were contemplated were safeties and one I came up with myself. As we all know this lovely design has a locking flaw that can show up with higher pressure rounds like the 284. I noticed something in the geometry of the mechanism that could be changed, wouldn't effect function or parts count, but once and foreall would fix that small issue and frankly make it closer to a drop block in strength. That wasn't incorporated, in what was seen as the design concept rifle, but if it goes to the custom house I'll probably at least make a few prototypes of it and see how it works.

On prototypes, I don't have any I can show at this time, but basically it would be pre-ww2 in style. Perch belly as an option. Don't know on the takedown to be honest, I'm pro-take down, Ron is against it, mostly a liability issue, so he is likely on the winning side there. Maybe down the road I'll come up with something to get around that problem.

Engravers we have access to allow me confidence the in the statement that they can match or best the Dodge Savage if you have the desire, patience and bank account to commission such a piece.

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G

Let me know if everyone is still having email issues

Savage99SharpsRifleCompany.com

Thanks

Mike

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
I like what I'm hearing here. Rotary mag, underlever safety, cut checkering, case hardened lever, etc. Maybe you could market them like remington did with the classic line and do one caliber a year. 7-08, 22-250. 250 Sav., 270 rem.?? and to be real classic 303 Sav.. Then maybe one of the ammo folks would do another run.

I like this as an avenue to larger production runs. Perhaps a standard run of a 1000/yr plus the rest available through straight custom shops.

------While we are thinking on all of this. How many of you would like to see the 32-20 size version of the 99 made? I think in 22 hornet I wouldn't be able to make enough of them, say nothing of 357's etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (673, 444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 27 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.