Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
OK here's the deal. I have a lot of rifles I reload for and most shoot around an inch or so for 3 shots. These rifles seem to take a lot of concentration to shoot that well. Then I have this Remington Model Six Pump in 30.06. This is the most inexpensive rifle I own and with inexpensive Federal Powershok ammo it will shoot an inch or better anytime I take it out. It isn't fussy, I just bag it on the bench and have at it..........it is so much easier to get good groups from this rifle. Same goes for my Remington XP-100 in 7MM BR. Off the bags I can shoot it just as easily and get good groups too!

Why are some rifles just easier to shoot than others???

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Cuzz

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some call it Mojo...

I call it Ju-ju

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't speak to the pump rifle, but the XP is likely more accurate than most rifles. I've heard it attributed to the barrel being stiffer than a typical rifle barrel due to shorter length. I don't know the science to back that up, but I have some XP's and they will outshoot most hunting rifles if you can hold them.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
A rifle is the sum total of many variables. Sometimes these variables line up and other times they don't. Ju-ju is a good description.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some rifles have the souls of really smart Labrador retrievers. Some are just average wage-slaves trying to get by. Some are possessed by demons.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm going to pull a little from a couple opinions. Dan is right about the ju-ju. Mule Deer is right about some being posessed by demons.( which I'm not sure isn't the same thing as having the souls of labrador retrievers...)
Its all magic and smoke and mirrors....otherwise why would a pump shoot so good...? Thats just WRONG! wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The demons can be found living in the scope........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The notions of necromancy are entertaining but I suspect the reasons are largely mechanical.Owners and users of Remington pumps back here have known this for years and I've seen Remington pumps at the range shooting groups that discourage hard-boiled bolt action guys.

The barrels are sorta thick and they hang loose from the receiver with no stock pressure to screw things up;So they just "drill" shots,notwithstanding mushy triggers.And the speed with which you can slap three shots,off hand,in an 8" target makes me wonder why a guy would lug anything else in heavy cover.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ahhh yes Bob, but I'll bet you've lugged other rifles into heavy cover.... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ingwe;; I never claimed to be rational, and hardly ever practice what I preach......all my shooting of running/jumping New England whitetails has been done with a bolt gun...when adrenalin is up, I can make them go pretty fast grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK Bob...just what I thought...we are a LOT alike! grin
Just like crying in baseball..." Theres no rational thought in rifles!..." wink
And as far as a pump that shoots good, I'll go with the " Mythbusters" line...
" I reject your reality, and substitue my own..." laugh
Ingwe

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ingwe:My range sessions with them tell me I am faster with the pump,and about as accurate.....,but somehow, I simply cannot leave a M70 FW at home.Light Mausers in 270 have been called up for duty, too.

Facts and reality are never allowed to interfere with old habits,dead game, irrational emotion and delusion. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/10/09.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have hunted with several Remington pumps over the years. The barrels of the 760's in theory are free-floated, but my latest one (a used .270 my wife bought me for my birthday last fall, since it was like new and on sale for such a low, low price that I was trying to make up my mind...) required some work with a round rasp in order to be really free-floated.

Before that it strung shots up and down 3" or so because of the forend tapping the barrel. Now, however, it averages about 1-1/4" for 3 shots at 100 yards. But that's with the only load I've tried in it, 59 grains of H4831SC and the 130-grain Ballistic Tip. I suspect it will do even better with some fiddling, and perhaps with a 150-grain like the Hornady Spire Point.

A 760 .30-06 I had for a while in the 1970's would shoot into 1-1/2" or less with about any load--including Remington Accelerators, the saboted load that shoots a 55-grain .224 bullet at Swift velocities. This was unusual but a lot of fun. Remington sent me 5 boxes of Acclerators to test out and I mostly used them up shooting running jackrabbits, a lot of fun with a pump gun.

I also used it to shoot deer (mostly whitetails) we jumped out of brushy coulees in eastern Montana. Along with the practice on jackrabbits, I also shoot a pump shotgun quite quickly, and the .30-06 worked very well on running deer. I killed at least one buck with a second shot that I never could have gotten off with a bolt rifle--and I am pretty fast with a bolt too.

The Remington 7600 generally shoots pretty well out of the box, without any modifications. I borrowed one from Remington for a while a couple of years ago, a .308 that shot into an inch with factory Ultra Core-Lokt 150's, and killed a couple of deer with it.

There is nothing wrong with a good pump rifle for general big game hunting. They are usually accurate enough for 400-yard shooting, which is more than can be said about most hunters, and "eumatic," that word invented by British shotgun writer G.T. Garwood (known by by his pen name of Gough Thomas) that meant, essentially, easy to use.

But most hunters won't use one because they think pump-guns make them look like Elmer Fudd. They don't realize that the clothes they wear generally do that anyway.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I simply cannot leave a M70 FW at home.Light Mausers in 270 have been called up for duty, too.

Facts and reality are never allowed to interfere with old habits,dead game, irrational emotion and delusion. grin

Oh, thank GAWD!
I feel much better now, like the stars and planets are back in alignment, and all is as it should be... wink
Ingwe

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mussy triggers ? You might be surprised what a good smith can do for one. I'm getting one in a trade, as soon as my smith can replace the front sight with a big, 3/16th's inch white bead, ala Ruger Alasakan. He reworked the trigger to the point where it has no creep at all. Or so it seems to me.
I'm still a doubtfull as to this rifle's usefulness with iron sights. But, considering I'm trading for it with the elk rifle I found two season's ago in Montana, it's not going to cost me much.
Besides, it will work alot like my new 28 ga. 870 that I convinced myself I had to have as well. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Best guess about why some guns are "easier" to shoot than others is all about stock fit. I have one older Mauser sporter that is basically amazing.......and I've never been able to detirmine exactly why.

This rifle is VERY accurate from a bench and will keep 5 shots under an inch all the time.....sometimes hovering near 1/2" on a good day.

However, what makes ths particular rifle so good is what it does when the shooting is fast and furious. It just never seems to mss.....no matter what I do!!

Over the years I have pulled off some stunts with this rifle that just can't be explained. One late season hunt for meat deer......four deer, running, at 250 yards resulted in four skinning jobs. It happened so fast that I didn't have time to think......just throw up and shoot.

This past season, I topped a small hill and a good buck broke for the wild blue yonder. Running full out at 150 yards, through head-high clear-cut, the deer was popping in and out of sight as he jumped through the brush. I never thought....just pulled up the rifle and the scope found the bobbing deer and went off. After the shot, I honestly couldn't have told you IF I hit the deer, much less where I hit it....it simply disappeared. Walking out, I found him shot directly through the shoulders and dead.

Another time I was hunting in a very thick creek bottom where visability was basically limited to 25-30 yards......however, I saw a movement (just at daylight) at something over 100 yards away. Thought it was a bird flitting around, but the scope came to my eye just as a piece of antler moved through a "window" in the brush. I don't remember pulling the trigger, but the gun just sort of went off. I remember thinking after the shot....."did I really see a deer??", yes!!...."but did I really see horns??", yes, and they were GOOD!!

I walked out to were I thought the deer had been and there was a very nice 140-class buck shot through the shoulders. I later tried to recreate the shot and could find only a single 6" "hole" through the brush that I could have shot through. Can I explain it....no, but that rifle just seems to be "magic" and finds a way.

If this had happened once or twice, I'd write it off to luck.....but this has happened dozens of times over a 30 year period. There is just something about that particular rifle. I've even tried to duplicate the exact balance and stock of this rifle on others......and though I get close, none is "perfect" and shoots as well. Some are as accurate on the bench, but none feels the same in the field and has the "magic".

When you find a "magic" rifle.....don't queston it, just never let it go. That's probably the case with your 760.....logic doesn't apply, it just is!! But wouldn't it be great if we could figure it out and copt it!!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That seems to be the case with my 7x57...we just plain get along and things always seem to go right when I'm hunting with it...
Ingwe

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
E: Any smith worth his salt in the northeast can do wonders to a 760 trigger,much better than they come out of the box for sure.

I love pumps and have shot piles of ruffed grouse with pump shotguns back here.I have owned and shot 760's and 7600's, but some how bolts always end up on a hunt.

I am very superstitious..... frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (219DW, 1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,385
Posts18,506,756
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.