Hop To
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haha!
laugh
No, I just braked the 223...
smirk

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
....I fired 3 shots through the 300 Weatherby yesterday at 500 yards.....the shots went where they were supposed to, so I went where I was supposed to...back to the house to watch the Celtics and have a beer grin wink

Watching your beloved Yankees right now Bob....(grin)

One thing about shooting in the cold weather, takes a few shots to warm things up and that's good!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
must be AI

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7 STW
muzzlebreak biatches

Huh?

What was that????

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
must be AI

grin
How did you know??

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 50 feet does sting more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
muzzlebreak biatches

Huh?

What was that????

grin

Attention grabber... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My ears are still ringing, give me a few days...(laughin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no chitt laffin back.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Even a 300 pound deer is not a particularly large animal.....is this the threshhold in weight for moving to a big belted 30 for some guys?

Great question, personally a .270 Win is enough for even heavy Alberta bucks! That said, I was in camp when a young hunter shot a buck with a 25-06. After they brought him back to camp, he got up and started walking away, and had to be shot again in the outfitters back yard.
This created quite a lot of excitement and BS around the camp. I asked the youngsters dad what his kid was shooting in the 25-06 (which I happen to like) his dad's reply was Federal. That is all I could find out just Federal?

I suspect two reasons why some Canadian outfitters put in their literature and websites .28 caliber as minimum, is some hunters don't pay attention to which bullet they are using in smaller calibers and may actually be shooting something like a varmint round.
Secondly, I have heard talk about these northern bucks having thick long hair and the blood can gather and freeze up from a small exit wound, and a thick layer of fat can shift and cover a hole.
I say BS to these theories myself because if they are hit right they will go down after a brief run of 40 yards or so.
But none the less I have heard this BS spread and believed as the reasons people need a 300 mag for big northern deer.

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Straydog: I agree; some of the notions I hear today about what it takes to kill big bucks and other animals makes me scratch my head, just about as much as what I hear about what is good bullet performance.Both have become really strange topics in recent years.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wouldn't say you need a mag, but I shot a deer where fat plugged the hole after he ran a bit. We did find him.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I believe the Jordon buck was killed with a 25-20.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It was a 25-20, here's a clip from the story

"Instinctively, Jim shouldered his .25/20 Winchester and carefully aimed at the giant's neck. The rack was
frozen in place as the deer, unaware of the hunter's presence listened to the sounds of the approaching
train. Posed against the blue sky of a clear, cold day, the majestic buck with his heavy, golden-brown rack
left an impression Jim would never forget. Finally, the hunter squeezed off the shot. Deer scattered at the
sound, does in one direction and the buck in the other. Jim fired until his magazine was empty as the
racing buck made for nearby cover."

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
StrayDog: Funny things happen. One of the stories that gets told alot at the Alberta camp I hunt out of,is about the lad(who had a reputation for having things go sorta "wrong") who shot a big whitetail with a 300 mag.He poked the deer in the eye with the muzzle to be sure it was dead....

The buck, only stunned,jumped up and his antlers got wrapped in the sling,yanking the rifle from the hunters hands.A rodeo ensued with the buck trying to get the rifle off his head,slammimg the rifle repeatedly into the dirt.

I guess the rifle was "hot" at this point,safety on,and the kid beat a hasty retreat,sought out his father and Merlin,ran up to the truck and repeatedly asked his father...."GIMME YOUR RIFLE"...but would not say "why".....

The father,knowing the kid,said "what'd you do now!!!where is your GD rifle???",to which the kid finally, in exasperation,replied....." The DEER has my PHUGCKIN" RIFLE!!!" grin

True story laugh

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/26/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh man, that's precious. And, I have little doubt the story is a fabrication.....One couldn't make that stuff up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
....to hear Merlin tell the story...he'll have the beer coming out your nose....it's a classic! laugh

I mean,can you picture it????!!!!I start laughing just thinking about it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like hunting with Canadian outfits with a long history - part of the fun is the lore and hearing stories about guys from the states they've encountered over the years. When everyone has gone to sleep, I'm generally still up listening to the stories, and, generally wake the next morning with a sore midsection from laughing so hard.

I've heard some dandies Bob, but that one takes the cake. I would love to hear Merlin tell that story one day....I'm laughing just thinking about it.

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
repeatedly asked his father...."GIMME YOUR RIFLE"...but would not say "why".....

That is funny!! You know I can relate to the kid wwanting to keep that secret, with all the ribbing kids get from their relatives in a hunting camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some years back Whelen Nut (from here) shot a dandy buck in some tall marsh grass. He didn't see it go down, so he sequestered me and settled back into his position and I went 'in search of'. The deer was lying very near where he shot - presumably quite dead (this is an hour later mind you) so I grabbed on and commenced to dragging. Odocoileus virginianus came alive in my hands and I wasn't quite smart enough to let go quite yet. He broke free and I managed to get another in him as he attempted to race past me.

No, the deer didn't attempt to take my shotgun, (like Merlin's story) but I can see how his story could happen in a heartbeat.

Moral of the stories, (and it should be quite easy to grasp - for some) don't wrestle deer. grin

WWP53D
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 40 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.