-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well its more about your presentation than anything.
First you tell us SPG is a poor lube. Well some might not like it, but poor or bad lube its not.
Then you say nobody uses it. Well that's blatantly false,and its a very easy thing to look at equipment lists to see how false your statement is.
Then I ask you about details of your load that supposedly caused the "last 10 inches " of the barrel to be fouled so badly.
Your reply is a lot of drivel with no specifics. A person has to wonder,.
Now you're trying to assume the part of the victim here?

The type of fouling you're speaking of is most likely a powder/bullet size problem.
The flaking in the Pedersoli barrel, is most likely a function of the over sized chambers the Italians put in their rifle, and or a function of bad alloy, or poorly cast bullets, or bullets getting shaved during seating, or being crimped to death. Probably has little to do with the lube used.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, if we can talk sensible, we can discuss loads. If my presentation bothers you, remember I am an old fart! laugh
We can start with boolits. I use 20 to 1. My bore has 8 lands and grooves, 1 in 18". Groove to groove is .4593" if I remember, can't find my dimensions right now. Bore is .450".
I bought a bunch of used molds at the start, Lyman, Lee, RCBS, etc. All too small from .457" to .458". Lucky to hit at 50 yards. I tested my friends Postell with no luck. I have the NEI 540 Creedmore and it shoots just fair. I then bought a mold from Dave Farmer, 530 gr at .460" and the 500 gr Gov't boolit from Rapine at .460". Both shoot pretty good.
Then I started to make my own molds, trying different weights, bore rides and sizes. My latest boolit is 510 gr at .464" to fit the chamber and a bore ride of .451". I made expanders for all boolits so it is easy to seat them. I do not crimp and I leave a little bell to the case to center the front or just straighten it out. This boolit is doing very well and holds a lot of lube. I have not shot a shoot with them yet, I have not settled on a load or powder.
I have zero leading and almost no fouling with any of the boolits that fit. Only SPG does not work. I have about 20 lubes I played with and find no great difference.
Matthews lubes all work too.I have made all of them. By the way, stuffing the front of a cylinder over a round ball in the Ruger Old Army with Matthews lube will do wonders. I popped a lot of deer with the gun.
So I have gone from .457" up the ladder to .464", 405 gr to 540 gr. All powder and loads from cartridge to Swiss FFFG. I like Swiss. Loads from 67 to 74 gr. Every wad and combination of wad. Every compression amount
I find a wad cut from a manila envelope just to compress with is as good or better then anything else. My friend didn't even use a wad and had good results.
Now don't skim read, read it all and see what you can find that makes SPG not work for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odd that that Badger barrel would be that large in the grooves. Even at that diameter going past 462 is liable to be super counter productive especially at distance beyond 100 yds as the finning will do all sort of nasty things to the flight of that bullet, not to mention how it'll probably cause most of the lube to be dumped in the throat.
Still interested to know what the exact load was from your claimed 10 inches of hard fouling.The only time I've ever got that sort of thing was with the now defunct Elephant powder, and some of the Speer Idaho territory cowboy bullets shot as is.
Yes sometimes no wad works,most others it doesn't.
You can put a lid on the oldguy crap, I'm guessing I'm as old or older than you. Either way its no excuse for the vaqenous and generalities you've dealt so far.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I am going on 72, if that isn't an old fart I don't know what is! grin
Anyway, 500 meter testing with the large boolit is very promising. There has not been any problems so far. I just have not had time to keep testing or to make a shoot. Much work yet to be done.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,092
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.