-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hope ya get it fixed I don't know alot about the powerchokes ther than I don't like them (exception the 7.3L).

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like EGr to me. My 04 did the same thing, and I ignored it till the sticking overheated the egr cooler which then melted a hole in the internal oil cooler line.
Is it using anti-freeze yet?. If so, get it to the shop, as waiting for this problem to "develop" gets pretty spendy.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My bud has a 05 F250 that the EGR cooler started leaking and it cost him about 2800.00 in repairs. The truck had around 160k miles on it though.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EGR valve, EBP sensor, VGT solenoid, sticking turbo vanes. Any/all or any combination of the above.

If the truck sits unused for a few weeks the turbo starts to rust on the inside and the turbo doesn't work correctly. had 4 put in my '03 in less than 16K miles. Since I started driving my 6.0 at least once a week I haven't had turbo issues.

What flash is loaded on the computer? The flash with the inductive heating of the injectors worked very well in curing the cold start drivability issues.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like International Engines has made a mess of a motor and should do something about it.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

IC B2

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Today was the first day I was able to get to try something.

I unplugged the egr valve thing.....although the real test will come in the morning because my truck was already driven.

I used my google foo and found 2 different methods for unplugging it.

One said while the engine was running the other said when the engine was already hot but off.

I used the hot and off first....because what the heck..its an experiment.

Anyway I have noticed a huge difference in low end power and my turbo seems to spool up much quicker.

We'll see what the morning brings.

Oh yeah! no check engine light either.

S
S
Just saw this.Had the same problem with my 05 f-350 6L.No codes or engine lights.After the second time back to the third different dealer they replaced the VGT actuater and EGR valve,it did the trick.They pulled the turbo and cleaned it but determined it was'nt the problem the first time.Have part #s if your interested.Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Metsamies
Sounds like International Engines has made a mess of a motor and should do something about it.

Actually the International version in an International truck with International programming was a very reliable motor but only was rated at like 200 HP.

Take the same motor, add Ford programming, EPA light duty emmissions requirements and jack the HP numbers up to 325 and see what you get.

Then take an engine designed to be worked and use it as a commuter vehicle.

Now the leaky bedplate and rear main seal problems you can blame on Navistar.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mtmisfit

Actually the International version in an International truck with International programming was a very reliable motor but only was rated at like 200 HP.

Take the same motor, add Ford programming, EPA light duty emmissions requirements and jack the HP numbers up to 325 and see what you get.

that is a good post mtmisfit. but how come GM can make the Duramax and Dodge can make the 6BT/ISB meet the same EPA specs without all the trouble the Ford 6.0 PSD's have?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Free miner said what I was thinking, the 6.0 was just a giant FAIL for International and Ford.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well how did it go Tom?

sounds very familiar to what i experienced with mine when i went unplugged. boost came in quick on the bottom end but the more I played with it the more i felt it suffered on the high end.

I'm curious to hear if your cold engine surging was cured by going unplugged though.

Something clever here.

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Kinda weird, I started it up this morning after not driving it all this weekend.

When I started it up it did the big cam sound for about 20 seconds and smoothed out (normally this takes a few minutes) then I decided to not let it warm up and started driving it right away.

It still was sluggish from a dead stop but seemed much quicker to perk up also it only surged/missed for about 1/4 mile then smoothed out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by mtmisfit

that is a good post mtmisfit. but how come GM can make the Duramax and Dodge can make the 6BT/ISB meet the same EPA specs without all the trouble the Ford 6.0 PSD's have?

The Dodge and the Duramax started out as light duty diesels, the 6.0 started out as a medium duty engine and was fitted with the emissions gear. Ford/Navistar tried to save money by building a dual purpose engine. The big problem was the 6.0 were having a lot of problems but the VT365's were not. The difference was the 6.0 had the Ford electronics package the VT365 had International's electronics. Much finger pointing and poor customer service.

Across the board the new EPA requirements have lowered fuel econonomy on the diesel trucks.

The small high-efficiency automotive diesels on the other hand are setting records with their fuel economy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Duramax is also a medium duty diesel, International just didn't to the best on the 6.0.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
How now brown cow?

Something clever here.

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Same as my last post.

I'm going to run this tank down and try the other method.

Checking mileage.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
seeing some improvement with the surging then?

mine doesn't do that camming thing on cold start ups normally. Maybe at subzero like -25 or so she'll gallop till she's warmed up then stabilize but otherwise it roars up once she fires & smooths right off.

Something clever here.

T
Tom264 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
seeing some improvement with the surging then?

Oh yes major improvements.
One other thing I noticed.....my fuel gauge has stayed on half tank mark for 3 days straight...thats not normal, maybe mileage has improved???

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Good to hear.

Something clever here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,708
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.