Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I just got a marlin 444s and I want to put on a good sight for hunting. Any suggestions?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
XS

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

This is a Skinner Peep Sight, available in blue or solid brass.

It's a top-mount, like the XS, but at about 2/3 the $$$.

With any top-mount peep, you're going to need a taller front sight blade to zero the rifle (it will otherwise shoot too high) - so oeder one at the same time, along with a slot filler blank to replace the rear barrel sight (for a clean/clear sight picture).

If you go with a side-mount peep, like a Williams FoolProof or 5D, or a Lyman 66, the issue height front will most likely zero OK - but you might want the opportunuty to change the front sight material, anyway. (like - to an Ivory bead or a fiber-optic)

They all have the ability for the user to remove the aperture and shoot through the resultant "ghost ring" for hunting.
The XS is "standard" with an unthreaded ghost ring aperture - but a threaded aperture is optional.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you are going to leave it on the rifle as your primary sight, I would suggest the Williams Foolproof.

If you are going to use the open sight or a scope or red dot sight, too, I would use the Lyman, because it comes off with the press of a button, and returns to zero when you put it on.

The Williams and Lyman come with two screw in apertures, which give much better accuracy than the XS. You can remove the apertures and use the threaded hole as a ghost ring, same as the XS. If you really want precision, replace your front blade with a Lyman target globe target sight on the dovetail base. It comes with 10 front sight inserts.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of BS there

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Lots of irrelevant, too.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't knock it until after you try it.
I happen to like globe front sights, having shot a gazillion rounds with them on Anschutz free rifles.

They are neat on a single shot 1885 Winchester or Browning, too.

The XS rear sight is rugged and fast for quick shots, but the Williams and Lyman will do the same thing, and a whole lot more, if you desire to shoot at 200 yards.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never seen 'better accuracy' granted from a sight.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do you think unlimited class high power shooters and Olympic .22 free rifle shooters just put $1,000 sights on their rifles for decoration?

Go to a single shot rifle match, at ranges from 200 to 6000 yards with iron sights, using 1885s, Martinis, and Sharps with .45-70 and larger. Check out their sights.

Like I said, try some better sights before your criticize.
I offered a suggestion based on my long experience with these sights, and over 35 years of shooting the Marlin 336 and .444 with a variety of sights. For hunting, a Williams or Lyman with the factory front sight is the best combination for quick sight alignment for close shots and precision sight alignment for shots at 150 yards or so.

If you plan to shoot beyond 150 yards, you need to add target knobs and become familiar with the settings for every 25 yards of range, and be able to estimate or measure the range that precisely. A Lyman aperture sight over a Weaver rail allows you to swap to a red dot sight or a telescopic sight in Warne rings.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have tried them, the point being a 'Sight' can not make a rifle more accurate than it all ready is, that is BS.

Perhaps some sights grant certain folks better repeatability, but that has nothing to do with the accuracy of a rifle, nor the ability of the shooter, but that's a different topic.

Test, throw a few different sights on a barrel used for testing accuracy of 25 caliber bullets in a Sierra plant and see if they get better 'accuracy' with different open sights on them.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You take the sights off your rifle, and see how accurate it is.
You won't be able to tell. A rifle isn't accurate just sitting on the bench. It is as accurate in the hands of a shooter. Some shooters could use open sights and outshoot most people using scopes, on the same rifles. What does that say about "accuracy"?

We are discussing the real world, with sights for hunting, on a .444 Marlin.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Scott;

You're arguing with a pathological liar and a delusional fraud. Do you actually think that (though you might be right) that Liar24 would ever admit it?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
IOW, nimrod has no experience with these various sights on the Marlin .444.

Go try it, nimrod. Then get back and join the discussion.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Interesting thread about BS. I like the Skinner sight, had one on my 1894C, but I just can't see well enough to use a peep anymore. If you go with the Skinner you will definitely need a higher front sight. Dr. Skinner is a great person to deal with and he'll help you select the correct aperture and front sight.

www.skinnersights.com

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Halwg
Interesting thread about BS. I like the Skinner sight, had one on my 1894C, but I just can't see well enough to use a peep anymore. If you go with the Skinner you will definitely need a higher front sight. Dr. Skinner is a great person to deal with and he'll help you select the correct aperture and front sight.

www.skinnersights.com

Very true. A great sight for the money.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm also a fan of the Skinner sights. They're excellent in all respects, IMHO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a rear sight I prefer the Williams FP, but there are other sights. Each has its advocates. Consider replacing the front sight also with a blade. Ashleys has a blade I want to try, but I don't think they sell it separate from their rear sight, which I don't want.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Ashleys has a blade I want to try, but I don't think they sell it separate from their rear sight,]

You thought wrong.

They will gladly sell you anything they make, that you'd care to buy.

BTW - The company hasn't been called "Ashley's" for years, since Mr. Ashley left the company - It's now "XS sight Systems".

http://www.xssights.com/

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, AdventureBound, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 4,132 guests, and 714 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,809
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.