-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a tuft of dacron in all of my cast bullet rifle loads. Never had a problem (yet) with ringing any chambers.

Rolly
GB1

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the advice,but I learned a long time not to EVER put anything into a rifle case but powder and bullet...if a filler would be required I will load something else.
I load a cast bullet in my .404 Jeffery and never had a problem.I just never loaded a bullet this soft,so maybe it's not the way to go in this case..............rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
When you REALLY lean on stuff, a filler can be magic. Or when you can't get a gas check in the cartridge you are using.

gnoah has some good advice up there.

And you don't have to use them either.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I believe at this point I will try the seating length and adjust accordingly.I am using the 45-100 data.I'm really looking for plinking load for the big rifle,since these are the bullets on hand,I thought I'd use them up.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You might also try a wax wad under the bullet base. There used to be a company peddling the stuff but I haven't seen their ads lately. You can make your own by melting a bit of bullet lube and then pour it out on a chilled flat surface (I used a piece of plate glass) so you end up with a flat puddle about 1/16" thick. After it hardens,peel it off the plate. Experimenting with temperatures is needed 'til you hit on the right combo. I also found that adding a bit of extra wax to the mix was beneficial in creating a thin sheet of lube.

After re-charging the case, place the lube sheet over the case mouth and thumb-press it down over. Think upside-down cookie cutter. Then with the wad in the case mouth, seat the bullet- being careful not to seat the base below the neck. Good trick for reducing leading a bit with soft plain base bullet. But, like everything else, it's an added step and more work for maybe an improvement. You never know!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't just use any bullet lube for the "waxchecks" it'll make a mess out of the bore, and if the cases get hot from something like being in the sun, the lube can melt and cake up on top of the powder or contaminate the powder.
Dental wax is a good thing to mix with lube to make "waxchecks" but here again it takes a good bit of fooling to get the mixture just right.

IF you're casting those you may want to try running some #2 alloy, if not check with Montana Bullet works they cast them from wheelweights with tin added, might help wit the leading thing a bit.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am pulling out some of my old paper-patching equipment and I'm going to paper-patch them and see what happens next.I can squeeze this bullet down to .450-.452 and roll it up.........stay tuned.

Come on America,

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Now you're talking!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That might work,but what some are finding out is that when you swage down a cast bullet the center of gravity on the thing gets thrown out of whack and accuracy takes a big hit.
Would probably be better to get one of the paper patch molds from Buffalo Arms and use these bullets to cast some of the slicks.
Or just buy a lyman postell mold, and cast you some up from #2 alloy, or you can get prerolled paper patch bullets from Montana Bullet works.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes ,you are right,I have and do cast on a regular basis.However,these bullets came to me free and since there are 300 of them,I thought I'd use them up....I've paper-patch a number of .303 British using cast .30 bullets.I'm working on a PP bullet for my .450/400 right now.

Come on America,

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How fast is the twist in that rifle? I'm thinking they put a 14 or 16 twist in those lotts, and with that fast of twist you may have to drive those postells at a good bit more velocity than what the 20-1 will accept. Thinking best to melt them down, adjust the alloy and pour them again, either in one of the postell/creedmore bullets , or maybe even go for the big Zeplin or Nasa bullets.

One other thing you might try is liquid alox a few, and see if its the borerider portion of the nose that's causing the problem , if it is the lla ought to take care of that problem.

www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are sizing and expanding with dies for jacketed bullets and starting out with .459" soft lead, how do you know they have not been sized to .456" or smaller when seating? Then the crimp will also reduce the boolit diameter as it is forced to open it. If there is any crimp left on a fired case, the boolit has also been sized by it.
Dead soft lead works fine in rifles but should only be shot single shot, not loaded in tubes or magazines that require neck tension and crimps to hold them in place.
Dead soft works better with BP or BP and wads so the boolit has a stop on the powder. Smokeless leaves air space and with a boolit that has a slip fit in the neck, the boolit can move into the case, increasing pressure. You need a balance point so the brass holds the boolit without making it smaller.
I have a hunch you are ruining boolit fit by using jacketed bullet loading practices.

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You may be right.I also load for a .450/400 and .404 Jeffrey with much harder bullets and they shoot very well and make good practice loads ,which is what I after.
I'll look at loosening them up......
rifle

Come on America,

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
Here's the latest to my project.the 1/20 bullets are now Patched and lubed and ready to load.I resized then to .452,rolled two wraps of .0035 paper,resized in a .460 die,after sitting 48 hours,they are now .461...

Come on America,

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dude, PM me your addy and I'll send you some .459 500gr. HTWW gas checked LBT's....

rifle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the offer,but I already have some.
This is an experiment with ready-made soft and paper-patching in the .458..Do you foresee something wrong in my technique?

Come on America,

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Experiment? I understand, totally....

If you want to load like jacketed, the offer stands.

I've never patched anything, so I can't comment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.