-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Who has used any of the Navy Arms Models and how are they?

/^\__/^\
((*) (*))
``(oo) ``
(V\/v\/V)

--AARDVARK--
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aardvark,
I've got a NavyArms 92 clone in .45 Colt.
It's a great shooting gun. Am currently loading 300 grain Honady XTP's. They hover around 2" for 5 shots at 30 Yards.
It's kinda like shooting a light weight 45-70
I figure it's got enough punch to kill anything I run into in the Oregon woods where I hunt! (grin!)
Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice guns. I believe they're what used to be the Rossi '92. I had one in 44 Mag. Should've never traded it off.

Last edited by Ethan Edwards; 04/02/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wish they would see fit to chamber the 92 clone in the traditional calibers, such as 25-20 and 32-20.
I'd have to have another on then!
Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one, a stainless "short rifle" 45LC with 20 inch octagon barrel. A very nice rifle. I've personalized mine with an ivory carving of an Eskimo face, inbedded in the stock, ivory pegs inserted in drilled holes (like the old American native brass tack decorations), as well as carving my Inupaiq Eskimo name in the stock side as well. I wanted to "Indian" my rifle.
Only problem I've noticed on my gun is the tendency for some brass to be left near the chamber upon ejection when stout 'Ruger' loads are used. Doesn't happen every time, just sometimes. One possible solution I might try is Starline 45 DA 45LC brass, which has a slightly larger rim.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Navy Arms' Winchester 92 clone was (I believe they have dropped the line) a Rossi with better bluing and walnut stocks, the EMF Hartford is the Rossi with better bluing and nicer oil finished hardwood stocks and finally the old Interarms and current Legacy Sports models are Rossi's with variable bluing and shoe polish finished stocks.

If the Navy Arms you are looking at is either an 1866 Yellow Boy or an 1873 clone, it was made by Uberti.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought all navy arms replicas were made by Uberti? Nevy Arms has been around since the late fifties or early sixties and has always imported top of the line replicas

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is/was my understanding, until the end of 2008,that all 1892 copies offered by Navy Arms, EMF, Rossi, and Puma are/were all built in the same factory in Brazil. They are just imported through different companies and offered with different grades of wood and finishes. Starting in �09 Legacy will keep their Puma line, but it is being built by someone in Italy (not Uberti). That is why the 454 and 480 are no longer offered by Puma.

Uberti was bought by Beretta awhile back. I'm not sure how that figures into the equation other than some firearms previously offered by Uberti now come with Beretta stamped on them and have a higher price tag.

I could be wrong about Navy Arms. It�s hard to keep track of them all.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Just to chime in here:

The Rossi's are all made in Brazil, and imported to the states as the last poster said, to a variety of different sellers.
(Rossi are the only ones that make the stainless models.)

But now you also have Armi Sport in Italy and Chapiatta in Italy selling Winchester 92's as well....for a considerably higher price, three times as much as a Rossi made rifle.

I have two .44/40's, an octagonal rifle and a carbine, both made in Brazil and they are fine rifles. The rifle has better walnut than I have seen on the original Winchesters.
I can see no reason to spend three times as much for the Italian made rifles. The way to tell them apart is by price as far as I can see, the Italian ones cost a lot more. I will stick with the Brazilians, they havebeen making '92's for 40 years now, and to meet the CAS market of recent years they have upped their game finish-wise. Here in New Zealand the ones we get nowadays have good wood and no modern safety of any kind.
Unless of course you are interested in a take down rifle, becasue the Italians make take-down's...now, hmmm...

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The Navy Arms rifles were made by Rossi and imported by Navy Arms. They had american walnut stocks and very nice finish to both wood and metal. They are known for being very accurate and the ones that I've owned have been just that. I just sold my Navy in 45 Colt. Had three and needed to thin out the safe. Steve Young told me that they were better than the ones made in Italy. Later David

Shooter ot the Holy Black,Warthog,Bold,Deadwood Marshal,Border Vigilante,So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While Legacy Sports (and Cimarron & Taylor's) will be importing the Chiappa M92, the Rossi will continue to be imported and distributed by their parent company Taurus USA. The only caliber missing is the .480 Ruger, but the .454 remains. Legacy's somewhat strange cheek piece model with scout mount is missing from the new Rossi catalog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FYI:

The Italian Armi Sport's new name = Chiappa ( a rose by any other name wink )

Rossi & Taurus's newest US importing venture/partnership/whatever = BrazTech

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.