Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I posted about this last summer, in another forum, but thought you single shot afficianados, would get a kick out of the pics. My son and I went on our first african plains game safari, last summer. My son has always hunted with single shot rifles and shotguns, so that was what he was taking. He used a .30-06 handi rifle with Federal factory ammo, 180 gr. nosler partitions. He walked his a** off for 10 days, and here are the results, 7 one shot kills. Hope you boys enjoy the pics.

[Linked Image]

red hartebeast.

[Linked Image]

impala

[Linked Image]

warthog

[Linked Image]

zebra, with Ricco the wonder dog

[Linked Image]

Blesbok.

[Linked Image]

kudu

[img]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii198/maddog1951/Africa%202008/IMG_1595.jpg[/img]

blue wildebeast.

maddog

GB1

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WOW

and Thanks for sharing!

Get close and wack em hard!
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
What kind of looks did he get from the other hunters? I think the Handis are a really good buy, and they certainly are handy but there is so much animus from the elitists that a fellow could be blackballed from hunting camp.

I am currently tuning a .25-06 Handi that belongs to one of my son's friends. I has the nicest wood I have seen on a Handi.

Leon

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Leon, for starters, our party of 4 had the whole camp to ourselves. 3 of the 4 rifles taken were "unusual". Besides the handi rifle, I took my .45-70 marlin guide gun, and my buddy took his marlin xlr .308 mx. The phs had never had leveractions in camp before, and thought they were a hoot. The 4 of us took 30 head of plains game in 10 days of hunting.

maddog

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like a fun trip. I like oddball guns. Oddball meaning anything outside the box. There seems to be such a stereotype of what is expected in terms of rifles. I really like your choices.

Leon

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
maddog;

You and your son and other hunters ought to contact Marlin/NEF (same company) about your trip. Who knows.....................

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That rocks! You know, it doesn't matter what some of the elitists say, now you have proof that a ruger #1, Dakota Model 10, T/C Encore, etc. will not get the job done any better than a handi rifle since you have been to Africa to prove it!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
War Eagle, don't get me wrong, I love Ruger no.1s. Hope to own 1 someday. My son isn't a gun crank, he shoots the cal./bullet combo i tell him, and goes out and kills somethin grin It was his idea to use the single shot handi rifle, because all his deer, and 1 bear were killed with either a handi or a tracker II 20 ga. It not only worked, but he only has $200 in the gun AND scope.

Here's a pic of all our trophies, except the zebra skins, after 10 days hunting.

[Linked Image]

maddog

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dontchaknow you can't do that you need at least 416 double barrel rifle that costs at least $50.000 to take all that game . now put it back. grin

PS: well done.

Last edited by Hubert; 01/04/09.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Maddog...Absolutely beautiful trophy's your son has there...I get a kick out of the zebra photo with that hound dog! grin...I bet your son won't be selling that handi any time soon...

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
IC B3

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Actually, the rifle he was going to take[H&R Ultra-fancier handi rifle], broke 4 days before the trip[long story]. My buddy let the boy borrow his handi .30-06. The boy bought it for 2 bills after we got home!

The hound was a 3 mo.old bloodhound that they were going to train to be a tracking dog. Ricco was in the truck everyday with my son. Dan got so attached to the little feller that he got him in all his hero pics. But the one with the zebra is priceless!

maddog

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice post and demonstration of the Handirifle's capabilities in the right hands.

But, just write me off as an elitist, cuz I would no more go to Africa with one -- a once-in-a-lifetime shot for me-- and use it there, than I would have walked up the aisle with my bride wearing a 'wife-beater' tee-shirt,sipping white lightining from a jar.

But then that's just me...or maybe even a few more of us, if we told the truth.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 01/04/09.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
1B, yep, take whatever gun yer comfortable with. Thats the point, my boy took what he was comfortable with. I personally am not making a statement about elitist or not, never really took to those kind of "arguments", anyway. My son doesn't post on the gun forums, isn't a gun loonie, and just hunts what with what he likes. I probably "upchucked" a few folks when they saw I hunted over there with a Marlin GG.......oh well....

maddog

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
As long as the caliber is sufficient, then the make and model of a gun makes no difference..Your son used a proper caliber and a perfect bullet and shot well, and thats the bottom line on any hunt...

By the same token there is nothing wrong with an expensive double rifle if you can afford one and can shoot it, and when hunting dangerous game the whole picture changes, a double could possibly save ones life and it has in the past on more than one ocassion, it it a must?, I hae mixed emotions on the subject and have used both bolt and doubles extensively in Africa, and I guess I still perhaps lean a tad towards the Mauser in a 404 Jefferys as my favorite gun/caliber. Its lighter to pack than any double and us old'uns like "lite beer and rifles"

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ray, hellava good point! But not everybody can afford a dbl. That being said, my son might opt for a ruger no. 1, in an appropriate caliber, if we do a dangerous game hunt.[which we are looking at]. BTW, just got a text from the boy, and he killed a big moutain lion in AZ. today. I am SO proud of him!!

maddog

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ya dun good, dawg! wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Ugg...95% Indian...5% arrow

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ya know, those africans certainly know the proper way to show kill shots. Clean the animal up, prop him up correctly. Excellent photos.

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
CWG, yer right about taking time to pose the animal. My son and I decided after that trip, to do a better job of taking pics of our deer trophies, like getting the pic before gutting[if possible], and sticking the tongue back in the mouth, etc. It certainly makes for better pics.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 01/17/09.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think this is a great thread. A synthetic stocked .223 Handi is one of my guilty pleasures and I've had a lot of fun with it. It's wears a scope that costs $100 more than the rifle.

I had accumulated a couple thousand pieces of .223 brass that I picked up at the range and decided to get a .223 rifle to use it in. First I bought a stainless/synthetic Ruger Model 77 in .223 and shot it a bit, then I bought the Handi on a whim one day when I had a few spare dollars to blow.

I've shot the Handi a *lot* more than the 77,....not because it's a better rifle,...just because it's more fun.

There's something very satisfying about a $225, break down, .223 single shot, American made rifle with a hammer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (204guy, 1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.