-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
If you had to choose between these two rifles, which would you pick and why? What do you all think of Ruger's new trigger and Savage's Accustock? Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got a Ruger, an "International" Hawkeye in .308. I love it. The trigger is definitely an improvement over the older 77s, but it's no Accutrigger. Which is fine with me.

I read about the Accustock but that's the extent of my experience. It's a great idea on a factory rifle and will no doubt add to the already-great accuracy rep. An aftermarket stock with a bedding block will run about $300 or more.

If I wanted accuracy over all else, I'd go with the Savage. If I was willing to compromise and still have reasonable accuracy, I'd go with the Ruger.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I chose the Savage because they make'm in Left hand.

Both are solid platforms.

Buy what floats your boat.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would go with the Ruger.
I've had a bunch of Savages, 110's and Weather Warriors. If you're buying the Weather Warriors from Wal-Mart you'll most likely need to float the barrel, bed the action and if it doesn't have an Accu-trigger get one.
I have 3 Rugers, 1 M77 and 2 No.1's. All three shot 1.25" groups OOB with Federal Premium Aummo and with some trigger work they shot sub-MOA.
All of the Savage 110's I've owned need the actions glass bedded and the barrels properly floated and the Weather Warriors need the barrels properly floated to shot as good as the Rugers OOB and with a trigger job they would shoot sub-MOA.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Savage for colony varmints and bench work; Ruger for everything else. I've had the accutrigger fail on me (I have short fat fingers). I've had to cock my MLII with a deer in the crosshairs before. It hasn't cost me a head of game yet, but it may some day if I don't remove the flippy thing in the middle. Haven't found any common failure mode for the ruger's yet...

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would also go with the Ruger. I own two of them so I`m just a little biased. One a 2006 M77 MK2 and the other a 2008 M77 Hawkeye.

First.....The Ruger factory scope rings come with the rifle and are included in the price.

Second....No scope base mounts to buy either because of the integral built-in Ruger scope base mounting design.

Third.....The Ruger scope mounting design imo, is one of the best and most durable bombproof designs in the business.

Fourth....Their new LC6 triggers are certainly better than were the triggers in the older M77s. The Savage Accu-trigger does nothing for me as far as increased accuracy is concerned as I have fired Savages at the range.

Fifth.....The M77 actions are extremely reliable, durable and will last a lifetime. You cannot harm an M77 action, unless one were to deliberately abuse or mistakingly reload way over max.

Sixth.....Three position safety! This imo, is the safest in the business. In the rear position, you can lock up the trigger and lock up the bolt from cycling. In the middle position, you can still cycle the bolt, allowing checking for proper feeding and chambering of your reloads, WHILE the trigger is locked.

Seventh...If I were going with wood, I would prefer the walnut shade on the Rugers vs the Savage.

Eighth....Some of the newer M77 Hawkeyes now use the dull matte barrels, which I would again prefer for field use over the blued barrels. And I own one with a blued barrel. For field use, I like the Ruger`s more rugged looks.

Ninth....The more recent Hawkeyes made over recent years, have improved dramatically. Improvements were made with the triggers, stocks and in the barrel manufacturing process, as Ruger over recent years has been making their own barrels. Better quality control along with accuracy, has improved across the board.

Tenth....`09 rifle selections from the compacts (up to the 300 RCM), the medium sized 20" tubed M77s and Ultra-lites, up to full sized rifles ranging from 22 cal up to and including the 458`s.

Eleventh..I like Ruger`s business saavy by partnering with Hornady in developing new and successful cartridges along with the the new rifles that chamber them; ie,,,,the 300-338 RCMs, and the 375 and 416 Rugers....Absolutely brilliant!

NO! I don`t work for Ruger!!!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don`t forget the #1s, in case your a #1 fan.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.