Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have an old Chinese pellet rifle that pushes .177 to about 900 fps, but haven't been able to get it sighted in at farther ranges. Grandma has starlings that she doesn't want to be there, and they set up on top of her Martin houses. I would love to use a rimfire, but the upward angle bothers me. Just wondering if anyone had any preferences on what to do to rid grandma of her problem

less than $400
1 MOStaring out to 50 yards.
Able to kill up to a rabbit out to 50 yards with properly placed hit.

If you think that the current air rifle will work, what kind of scope should I but on it. It was used for killing sparrows on her feeder at about 5 yards with a 4x20 scope.

Last edited by Dust; 02/20/09.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one you have would probably work. Get a Bug Buster scope and some good mounts (beemans) and you should be in business for around $100. If you want to get a really nice gun (a bit light for a rabbit at 50 yds) the Beeman R-7 is a wonderful spring gun. The R-9 is also a very nice more powerful gun but will probably get beyond your budget and is very powerful for a pliker at short range. Take a gander at straightshooters.com they have a nice selection and helpful hints to get a gun to fit your needs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My RWS .177 M34 falls into that need though my .22 cal M48 really thumps the larger critters. Both can be had for well less than <$400. I have owned them for 15 years or so without a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If ya look around real hard ya might find an R-9 for just under budget. Terrific airguns!

220 Swift still king.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A buddy of mine is using my RWS 48 (22 cal) for Martin house duty. He had a pretty long streak of unbroken kills going. I may get an update tonight.

mathman

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dust - 50 yds on a rabbit is a lot to ask from an airgun, but I'm sure someone will shed more light on that.

As for starlings - you can probably use what you have. Most people don't think of it, but if you camo-up a little, you can get closer to 'em just like any other bird. And they'll keep coming back until you've thinned 'em out substantially.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Dust Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The problem is that the back door makes noise, so it's hard to get any closer. There is nothing buy open yard, and once you get off the porch they all take off. FreeMe, I know the 50 yards on rabbit is a little much. I don't even know if the pellet gun would be that accurate, much less deadly

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.airgunhunters.com/

yellowforum.com

etc. etc.

Wealth of info, you have the ballistics with your chinese gun if you can get the accuracy. Shoot heavier pellets IMHO, a Crosman Premier in 'Heavy' I think are 10.5 grains, a standard will work, but I would not shoot the 'lites' as heavier pellets retain much better in the already light 177.

I have an R7 in 17 for my son, lite, accurate, but runs out of steam fast, my R9 in 20 cal is much better, flattened some birds/squirrels to 60-70 yds, but drop and accuracy get iffy depending on conditions and me, after 40-50 yds. My old FWB124, does around 830 w/177s is sweet, would headshoot rabbits w/o question, but body shots, I'd rather use a 20 or 22 cal.

I'd first do as suggested, try the current gun scoped and see what happens, go for head shots on rabbits.

I do know an old model 36 RWS of mine would BURY completely 22 cal pellets in pallets at 65 yds.

FWIW, a Roundnose and/or flatheads impact harder, greater surface area trumps pointed pellets in killing effect In my experience, and often shoot more accurately. Round/dome pellets of good quality i.e. RWS domes, and/or Crosman premiers/field target specials are accurate cost effective ammo. Beemans pellets overpriced private label imho.

BE sure to use SOLID airgun scope rings or you likely will have scope ring slippage. I have used a 4x Bushnell 32 AO obj. w/good results. Also at times a Leupold 4x or 6x scope and they held fine on springers, but on the mag class ie. a 900 fps model, I'd go airgun only scope by bushnell....based on my experience though I am sure others are out there that are just as good in durability.

Good luck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
use a crosman 2240 pistole with a stock and a scope in .22 cal
you will need a special set of mounts for the scope co2 powerd
acurate as hell with a tasco scope will take small game out too 50 yrds no problem with crow magnum pellets we use one every day for kicks pyramidair.com whole rig under 200 bucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
A buddy of mine is using my RWS 48 (22 cal) for Martin house duty. He had a pretty long streak of unbroken kills going. I may get an update tonight.

mathman

I'm confused... is he knocking off pest birds that are trying to invade a martin house he put up?

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Originally Posted by mathman

mathman

I'm confused... is he knocking off pest birds that are trying to invade a martin house he put up?

Knowing starlings as well as I do - I would say, more than likely.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
May I make a suggestion. If your current gun is capable of 50 yard kills, but you can't get a good sighting picture with the scope you have now, take a look at a Hawke Air Max. I have 2 of these scopes that are mounted on springers and are zeroed at 50 yards. The MAP 6 reticle has multiple aim points that can be used with a downloadable FREE program from Hawkes site to calculate yardage. It works great and is almost scary. It can also handle hard recoil.
http://hawkeoptics.com/us/riflescopes/airmax/index.php
They have the best warranty and customer service out there right now, hands down. (alot better and much, much faster than Bushnell. It took Bushnell 3 months to send me a replacement)

Air Max 4-12X40 on my gas rammed .22 Webley Stingray.
[Linked Image]
This is another Air Max 4-12X40 on my gas rammed .177 HW80 (R1)
[Linked Image] This is the gun that broke a Bushnell Legend within 200 shots. The Air Max now has well over 4500 shots and is still going strong. Straight Shooters, Airguns of Arizona are just a few sites that sells Hawke scopes. For the price and performance, these scopes are very hard to beat.

S.W.A.G. it
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dust
The problem is that the back door makes noise, so it's hard to get any closer. There is nothing buy open yard, and once you get off the porch they all take off. FreeMe, I know the 50 yards on rabbit is a little much. I don't even know if the pellet gun would be that accurate, much less deadly

Why not make a blind? With your challenge being to "make" one as cheap as possible, but still effective.

Or borrow one! (one of those cloth or fabric-looking pre-fabbed blinds)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess we all have our favorites. But the name of the game is accuracy. I tried the heavy spring type in a Gamo. So, so accuracy. If it wasn't held just right, like any pressure on barrel or scope, you missed the shot. I went to a pcp type air rifle. Benjamin Discovery in a 22 cal. I put a 3-9 Centerpoint scope on it. I have made head shots on squirrels out to 45 yards. Pesky birds at the same range. But it isn't a quiet gun. I am very happy with it & I was glad to say goodbye to the Gamo! Here is a link http://www.pyramydair.com/p/benjamin-discovery-air-rifle.shtml

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (264mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2five7, 66 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.