Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there any REAL difference in field performance, or just perceived difference? Just curious as I do like both. I have owned many 6.5s, and enjoyed the 7s twin in short actioned 7/08s. I understand the paper ballistics of the 55 vs 57 and long action/heavy bullet feature/benefit vs. newer short action cousins. .5 mm seems moot to me, honestly.

My thinking is that like bullets i.e. S.D. and construction WITH like shot placement would yield like results. What does 100+ years of history on game with either round say?

It seems the 6.5's reign in Sweden, etc., but you hear more on 7x57s in say Africa. Game laws pertaining to caliber restrictions the reason? Ammo availability in different countries, inc. Canada?

Or is the desireability of the 7x57 in NA (esp. in custom Mausers or Ruger #1's) simply more an emotional sentiment?

Thanks to all posters.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason 7x57's are more popular in Africa and North and South America, while 6.5x55's are more popular in Scandinavia is real simple -- miltary use. The 7x57 came to the USA after the Spanish-American War, as captured weapons, and have been sold regularly as surplus arms from Spain and most Central and South American countries since before WWII. And Winchester, at least, chambered rifles in 7x57.

As far as whether one is better than the other at shooting big game...no, I don't think so. On the other hand, you could throw about 40 other cartridges in the same category, because if you hit it in the right spot with the right bullet, it will just die.

Either one is a grand cartridge with lots and lots of really interesting history.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 7mm Mauser was in Africa as a military round (Boer War) and used for game as well. Also, lots of Germans in Colonial Africa, and they brought it as well.

Which is why I think the 7mm is a more popular round over there, along with other metrics. The 6.5 x 55 has never been used in a war or military action and its use wasnt' spread that way. I think it got its reputation mostly from hunters and gun mags...a well-deserved reputation, I might add.

I have a CZ is 6.5 and it's a great rifle. Actually, when I went to buy it was looking for a 7mm Mauser, but they'd quit importing them. Goes to show you, I guess, on the popularity of the rounds over here.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i hope someone from sweden chimes in to clarify or substantiate what i have repeatedly read over the last few years - that is, the 30-06 and 308 has far surpassed the 6.5x55 in popularity and use in europe. i also read where the largest ammo maker in europe (norma) loads 3 times more 30-06 ammo than it does for the 6.5x55. if this is true, it seems that while the 6.5 enjoyed a degree of immense popularity in years gone by, that era has passed.

regarding their popularity, i think muledeer hit it. there are just too many other rounds available these days, and that fact has and will continue to lessen the popularity of the 6.5 and the 7x57. these two rounds can still "get it done", but i wouldn't be surprised if they fell off the cart of factory loaded (u.s.) ammo in the near future.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What the 7x57 and 6.5x55 both do best is distinguish the shooter as a rifle world history buff, without taking a backseat to any modern cartridge for medium game.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You cannot just compare rankings and percentages of the mix of cartridges, because the USA is so large a market and there are so many gun owners.

There are only 9,000,000 people in Sweden.
There may be more 6.5x55mm rifles in the US than in Sweden.

Some countries, like France, still prohibit civilian ownership of rifles in former military calibers, such as 7x57, 8x57, .30-06, 7.62x51mm NATO, and 6.5x55mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a gunwriter but I've owned a Win. Fthrwt. in both 7x57 and 6.55, a Rem 700 Classic & Mtn. Rifle in 7x57, a sporterized Mexican 7x57, a Ruger MKII in 6.5x55 and several military surplus ones in both calibers.

I've killed more stuff with the Mexican 7x57 and a Bushnell Banner 4x using factory 139s or 140s than all the others. Ranges varied from 75 to 300 yards and it was the least accurate of them all, inch and a half at best but it was the only centerfire rifle I had at the time and I shot it a lot.

I agree with muledeer, I don't think one is more effective than the other in the field and there are a lot of cartridges that are equally effective with good shot placement. The main difference in the ones I've owned has been that the 6.5s have always been more accurate but not enough to make any difference to me as a hunting rifle. YMMV.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info, history lessons which I never was great in but do appreciate.

As to ammo disc. in the US, that would be disappointing but not surprising, as to Norma's higher production of '06 and '08 does not shock me as they sell globally and those rounds rank very high on top sales list of arms and ammo.

Gene, I first took an serious interest in the 6.5x55 when John Wooters wrote about sporterizing a '96 mauser for a total of $200 and his results were very good. Since then I bought 3, sporterized 2, sold them all, owned a 700 classic in between, and currently enjoy a #1 ltd. edition Ruger. Not had a 7x57....yet, but do have an interest some day. Likely a '98 of sorts. 700 Classics and Fwt M70s made it tempting in the past to try the round in a rifle that was affordable and up to snuff to handle today's top loads with pressures similar to say 270s.

The only complaints I ever heard were from Ruger owners who said various mfg. dates had varying throat lengths, and one simply needed to consider it when rolling their own for optimal results. Simply chamber reamer spec variations, not a QC issue per se.

Thanks Dennis (and GLAD to see you back!), Gene, and ALL for your insight educating me on the 57s popularity.

43, I'm with you, success can be had with lackluster yet solid equipment, provided it's used properly wink Something you know very well.

The only thing that might pique my interest as much as a 57 in a Mauser would be the 338/06 and 9.3s, but Jim Carmichaels svelte little 250-3000, (a shortened Mauser IIRC) made me think....another old classic round, the Savage. In 6.5x55, I love my #1, a good looker and shooter, but a Sako Finnlight in longer bbl model 85, dropped in an Edge stock would be a versatile all weather hunter.....nice to think about what's next.

You guys have a great day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I own a few examples of both and think that, when chambered in like-strength actions, they are as close to being equal as the 260 and 7mm-08.

I think that the 7x57 may have been more popular because it was written up by JO'C, probably the most influential gun-writer of his day, and because anyone could buy a variety of surplus military Mausers, often in excellent condition, for very little $$ by mail order until 1968. When I was a kid, there were lots of minty Brazilian, Chilean, Mexican, Peruvian, and Venezuelan 7x57 Mausers in both military and sporterized configurations in the gun racks of northern New England. For as long as I can remember, Federal, Remington, and Winchester/Olin have cataloged 7x57 ammo. The 1st CF rifle that I purchased with $$ that I earned for myself was a sporterized Venezuelan FN 24/30 carbine in 7x57 for which I paid $37.50. I fed it a diet of Winchester/Olin 175 grain SPs from the yellow boxes and it was the rifle/cartridge combination that I learned to reload for.

The 6.5x55 Krags and Mausers were always less common in northern New England, but I do recall that there were a few of the Interarms imported 1894 carbines, marked "INTERARMCO 33/50", around. Until the mid-1980s, I don't recall that 6.5x55 ammo was available from Federal, Remington, or Winchester/Olin. IIRC, the only factory ammo available was from Norma and it was typically a little more expensive then U.S. ammo.

Jeff

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 6.5X55mm is probably the most popular cartridge in Sweden for "elk" (same as our moose). The 8X57 and 30-06 are popular, but less so than the 6-5X55. In the 1980, I worked for a Swedish company and went there every month for meetings and talked with several hunters who also worked for the company.

Those long, heavy (160 RN) bullets really penetrate and are effective for moose..

Norma distributes much of its ammunition production world-wide (remember, Sweden only has about 9 million people) since the "home-market" is so small. In order to maintain viable companies, Sweden has to export much of what it produces. Much of Norma's ammo output is sent to the US and other nations where the 30-06 and 308 Winchester are popular.

IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info, thanks again guys. Jeff, you are right about Norma prices.....good stuff but the price can scare one away. Not to worry for sighting and hunting I suppose.

I'd bet some of that Norma stuff in 156/160 in Swede and other 6.5 i.e. 54mm has taken more than a few head of game in Alaska etc. where surplus rifles were used. I can imagine NA moose as well as bear have fallen. No doubt as to effectiveness when used properly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I believe it was Finn Aagaard who considered the 7x57 to be the minimum chambering he would choose for an all-around rifle. I happen to have much affection for both the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 and wondered why he did not make the Swede his minimum. My hunch is that the slightly greater bore diameter, and the slightly greater bullet weight for the 7 (think premium 175 grain bullets) gives the 7x57 the edge. When you think about it, what can you do with a 180 in a 30-06 that you can't do with a 175 in a 7x57? The 30-06 gives you more velocity and so slightly more point blank range (and yes you can go up to 220 grain bullets) but for most of us the 7x57 will accomplish a whole bunch of hunting chores as well as the beloved 30-06, with a whole lot less beating on the shoulder bone.

I recall a picture I saw a few years back on Sierra's website -- it was a BIG brown bear taken with a 140 grain Sierra out of a 7x57... it gave me a lot more respect for my 7x57.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted quite a bit with both the 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57. Shot a lot of game over the years. I never could tell the difference with either one, or my shoulder as far as recoil goes. That being said, America is not a Metric country, some metric cartridges are popular here, Ie 7mm Mags and 7mm-08 comes to mind, mostly we are a 30 cal nation, this has to do with well the kind of cartridges that served the Nations Military. In the end its all hair spliting, 6.5's 7mm or 308 you are not going to be able to tell the difference for the most part, so its pretty much becomes a moot point any of them will do and do well in the field. I like 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57, thou I shoot more 7mm RM these days because that is what the barrel was on my Blaser R-93 when I bought it. They all work, for some odd reason.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 7x57 and 6.5x55 are my two "go-to" cartridges for deer hunting. I've used a number of others through the years, but finally settled on these two for most any reasonable hunting situation where I live and hunt.

μολὼν λαβέ
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dogger, many might say the same of the 140-160gr 6.5x55 vs an '06 with 180s. True, wound channel surely would vary from .264 to .308 but not to say proper shot placement allows both to be effective.

Good stuff. The only remaining question I would be interested in knowing more would be all else equal, are similar bullets in 7mm vs. 6.5mm constructed similarly to where they expand/retain wt. similarly at like impact speeds? Or are 7mm overall a tad stouter and prefer faster speeds for expansion? The question directed at 139-175s on 7mm and 120-160s in 6.5mm. I know there are no absolutes, each bullet being specific unto itself, but are there generalities?

I know i.e. 7mm bullets sometimes are fired from a Rem Mag and others from a 7x57, depending on loading and what gun as to pressure/speeds so bullet mfg. may consider that...of course you could say that about the 264 WM and 6.5 RM though many of the latter were short carbines hampering mv, and the plethora of 6.5's in x52, x53 IIRC, x54mm, 55mm, 57mm, and up.....so much spread of velocity ranges. I have read the 6.5's were designed to open at lower speeds. I know much of this pertains likely to older cup/core bullets as newer bullets are made to withstand higher speeds if a premium type slug.

Thoughts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Except for the wart hog, I shot all of my plains game in Botswana with a Winchester/USRA 70 FWT in 6.5x55 using Norma 156 grain cup & core factory loads. The PH kept telling me that I'd still have to pay for the game that I only wounded and should switch to the 375 H&H, but after the 1st 3 head, he decided to "let" me continue to use the 6.5x55. The only animal that didn't die after 1 shot was the Eland that I shot 3x, all of the bullets stiking within a 4"x4" area, he was an old gray bull that just refused to ackowledge that he time had come.

Jeff

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Congrats Jeff. You know, heard stories about multiple hits on game, and wondered if the killing effect would be greater if one hit further away than a few inches from a previous shot, assuming the last did plenty damage, might as well damage new untouched tissue, but I guess it's a matter of hitting vitals and enough bleeding out to occur on large game if the CNS is not taken out.

BTW, I watched video of several Moose my cousin in AK has shot with a 300 WM, and they often just stood there awhile, then tipped over. They just soak energy it seems.

You did well. I wonder what those Norma's do in MV? I think they load hotter than many IIRC. Some RP and WW loads it seems based on memory were weak vs. potential of x55, perhaps due to so many mil-surp rifles.

Sounds like your guide had the American ideology, bigger is better? The 6.5 may not punch as big a hole, but likely nearly as deep I'd expect. Obviously you shot well, kudos.

What are common ranges where you hunted? It seems lots of African game are taken at modest ranges from what I have read.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that my PH had had a couple of American clients who were demanding, difficult, and according to him, not good shots, so he had a poor opinion of American hunters in general and in our hunting/shooting skills in particular.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have to go with the 7x57 simply because I own one. I would think it a might bit superior with the heavy bullets, but what do I know. I could be easily persuaded the other way. Give me an excuse to get another rifle. I've seen a Tikka in 6.5x55 but am not very taken with their looks. Any other factories chamber for it?

`Bring Enough Gun`
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
6BR, I read an article about 15 years ago about sporerizing the 96 Mauser, and followed through on it. It was a VERY good shooter, put a scope on it and checkered the stock. I had the bolt bent and barrel cut off.

It was a nice rifle, but I like my CZ better.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.