-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There once was a kingdom called "shooters.com", and it was a happy place. People met to talk guns, hunting and stuff, kind of like here. Talk was polite, profane, people agreed or got into abusive arguments, also like here. It was a simple land of text and little choice of fonts, but in the primitive net days of the late 1990's people were satisfied.

One day the King of shooters.com banned someone, which led to controversy and the expression of opinions both for and against the King. The King did not like this and developed an outbreak of "bannitis", summarily executing logins like a newly elected African president.

One professional hunter of the kingdom, first name JJ, mentioned that in his wanderings he had learned of a tiny, out of the way Kingdom called "24hourcampfire" with a population of about 2 people, JJ and Rick. There were reportedly other residents but their names are lost in the annals of history. Some disgruntled residents of the Kingdom of Shooters visited, liked what they saw and sent word back. Soon the immigration to the kingdom of "24hcf" as it was known was in full swing.

Lo, great scribes of renown eventually heard of the 24hcf kingdom and stopped by, many staying and establishing semi-permanent residence. Through careful management and a strict policy of not banning anyone except for the unforgivable sin of "Felony Misuse of Duct Tape", very few people were banned and so the Kingdom of 24hcf prospered until it became what you see today.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a good story. I'm all sleepy now... laugh

Glad to be on board, even if I'm 9 years too late.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cool! I think I'll finish my milk and delete some cookies, then take a nap. Nice story. smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Damn an eight year old post. Kind of shocking to read old Sonnie (need one) again. Realizeing he has been dead three years.

Lots of good boys gone from the old camp fire.

BCR

That is what made me look at the date. I was reading through the thread thinking "Hey, this is neat", and see Sonny's post.

I sure miss him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There once was a kingdom called "shooters.com", and it was a happy place. People met to talk guns, hunting and stuff, kind of like here. Talk was polite, profane, people agreed or got into abusive arguments, also like here. It was a simple land of text and little choice of fonts, but in the primitive net days of the late 1990's people were satisfied.

One day the King of shooters.com banned someone, which led to controversy and the expression of opinions both for and against the King. The King did not like this and developed an outbreak of "bannitis", summarily executing logins like a newly elected African president.

One professional hunter of the kingdom, first name JJ, mentioned that in his wanderings he had learned of a tiny, out of the way Kingdom called "24hourcampfire" with a population of about 2 people, JJ and Rick. There were reportedly other residents but their names are lost in the annals of history. Some disgruntled residents of the Kingdom of Shooters visited, liked what they saw and sent word back. Soon the immigration to the kingdom of "24hcf" as it was known was in full swing.

Lo, great scribes of renown eventually heard of the 24hcf kingdom and stopped by, many staying and establishing semi-permanent residence. Through careful management and a strict policy of not banning anyone except for the unforgivable sin of "Felony Misuse of Duct Tape", very few people were banned and so the Kingdom of 24hcf prospered until it became what you see today.

That is pretty well the straight of it like Jim says. Along with JJ two of the pioners were Sonnie and a guy by the name of Texas Hunter (he disappeared several years ago). When they came back to the old Shooters which was in the midst of a nut cutting banning orgy and sort of did a scouting report on here the exodus started.

Jim and I were in the second wave which was about a week after the initial foray.

At the time Mr. Rick checked his board about every other week because there wasn't anybody here to speak of.

So he shows up and does a WTF happened because his board has about tripled in membership more or less overnight.

From there it just sort of grew.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think the "Campfire" has turned into a Bonfire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toto Land is good wine country...? cool

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/03/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Mark,

Craig is not in Kansas anymore. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, near as I know he just bought a place there. He moved already? Where to?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

A nice story, and like Bluedreaux I'm sleepy too! grin

However, one point of correction in your fair tale... JJ and the entire shooters.com cohort showed up after more than a few of us had been here for some time (I'm actually member #30).

I used to post on Shooters occasionally and also at the old Coffee Shop, as well as huntamerica (groan) and accuratereloading... 24hr is the best of the bunch.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nah,

He is still there,I was just tryin to sound like Dorothy.

If I only had a brain....... grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Toto Land?

Paso Robles, CA is primo-vino-country. Been there done that!

Good hunting country too... it's a fair bit hotter than over the grade in San Luis Obispo, which is why the Paso Vineyards specialize in Cabs, Zins and the like...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty darn sure he's living a fair way east of there these a days.

Thinking he changed out whino's for whitetails....good trade IME...grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm. Maybe Mark. I did see an article of his a year or two back and he was still in CA.

I'd rather live in Paso Robles than anywhere in KS... I could easily hunt blacktails and the wine is a LOT better than kansas grown (not to mention the weather and mountains) laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't recall if I've ever been to PR so I'll take your word on it and I know if you say it's nice then it is!

Road trip....grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh yeah, and California girls... but we're both married right? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thinking, it'd be safer for us to road trip (maybe) to Toto Land and beat up on some whitey's and ditch pigeons... smirk

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think you guys are typing from your private vineyard! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, Mark's a tea-totaler, but I'm sipping a little CA Zinfandel as we speak laugh

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.