Campfire Ranger
Good post and thanks.

JM grin

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I will have to try the test for OOR. My 7 WSM is also a SS Classic M70.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to full-length resize the cases for BOTH my .325's, or else they are hard to chamber.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to full length re-size both my 325 and 270WSMs or I have the same issues as Jeff mentioned above.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The long gone and dearly missed Shortmags.org site folks strongly recommended full length sizing for the shortmags. In fact a lot of folks on there used the RCBS X-dies with great results and case life. I use them for my wsm's and am getting 7 or 8 firings per case. The setup for them is the same as any, adjust die to have bit of cam-over at the end of the travel of the press handle.
I have had trouble a couple times when the set screw was loose and the die backed out a bit. Then the cases got hard to chamber and my son growled a bit! Good Luck!

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I full length resize using the standard RCBS dies. The die has to be slighty cammed over against the shellholder in order for the cases to chamber.
Screw the die in just enough against the shellholder so that the case will chamber with a hair of crush fit. I also tighten down the die nut while the ram/shellholder is in the raised postion against the die. That way every thing should be in perfect alignment. Seems to work as neck runout is about .000-.002".

I'm up to 10x firings on my current set of brass(Winchester) and they appear to be in great shape, tight pockets, etc..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer to neck size only. When I purchased my 270 wsm I also purchased a Redding three die set (neck bushing, body, and BR seater). I tried neck sizing only and could not get the cases to chamber effortlessly.

My assessment is that not only is the shoulder angle sharp, the shoulder also has a large surface area which when expanded through firing can bind easily.

I now body size all cases and have no problems chambering.

405wcf

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I always full length size for my 270WSM M70 FWT. As a game rifle
functioning is the top priority.

wsmnut (Dave) Yes, Shortmags.org is truly missed.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do exactly what Sam details above for my 7wsm. I prefer neck sizing, but was having difficulty getting rounds to feed. Found the Shortmags advice, and have been using it with zero feeding problems since.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Hi all,

Was wondering if it's best to FL resize or neck size for WSM's? I'm want the best accuracy I can get from the rifle.

On Short Mags, they suggest only FL sizing and say that seems to work best. This seems to run contrary to my past experience with other calibers.

If FL sizing is better, what makes it better than neck sizing only for Short mags? can anybody explain?

Thanks,

JM

The main reason we we found that FL sizing better on Shortmags.org was because the brass is so thick, and pressures being what they are, that neck sizing didn;'t work as well for the shortmag cartridges.
I found that my accuracy difference was not a big issue, but chambering the rounds were.

I have loaded for quite a few fellas in all the shortmag cartridges, and this is what I found, as well as the other members of that site ....
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wsmnut
The long gone and dearly missed Shortmags.org site

I miss that site also, it was a lot of fun, if not neal being a bit overbearing!! ( grin)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the great advice everybody. FL resizing for me now.

I wish the ShortMags sight was still up but it's great to have this one to go to for advice. So much knowledge here.

Thanks Again Fellas.

JM

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
JM

My son and I have used the round extensivley in both hunting rifles and match/1000yd rifles. We get our best accuracy with full length sizing. We do set the die so that it bumps the shoulder back about .003 in the hunting rifles and .002 in the match rifles. We push the match rifles pretty hard with 200 and 210 gr bullets and stiff charges of H4350 or R17 (when we can get it). Many cases have been loaded over 15 times. If you cant measure your shoulder just size till your bolt just closes easily and you should be close.

Lefty C

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In routinely reloading WSMs (270, 300, 325 are the only ones I have experience with) I use a Redding Type S die and partially neck size. Every few loadings I use the Redding body die (+/- comp shellholders) to bump the shoulder to the correct headspace for the rifle, as IME most chambering problems are due to stretching of the case. If this doesn't fully solve the problem, then I'll full-length size. I only use WSMs for hunting, but the accuracy of these cartridges IME has been MOA or better using this routine.

Now that I only shoot one rifle in each caliber, setting the shoulder back when switching cases from one rifle to another has become infrequent.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A bit over bearing..............shocked. That's like sayin' Obama and "conservative and/or a change for the better" in the same sentence.

It had the makings of being a great and very useful forum, but in all honesty and IMHO, with his attitude and all around F*$&#* up disposition, it would have been near impossible not to have gone the way it did. Anyone could see that big changes needed to be made, starting with Neal.........that just wasn't gonna happen. Either he was just plain stubborn or a complete idiot.....neither is very appealing to most.

One God's enough..................again, IMHO.

YMMV.............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep.....+ however many on FL resizing. Safe and sure, especially for huntin' purposes.

Good luck...............

Last edited by magnumb; 07/26/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
But, as you get older and deal with these myths and parables, you tend to put your give a sh--ter in neutral and don't do things as meticulasly as you used to...

LOL! That's a good one. My "give a sh--ter" gets put in neutral more and more each day. smile

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I size my 270wsm and 300wsm just like Sam said. Great accuracy and brass life is unreal. Easy cartridges to load for.

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What are you guys getting for brass life?

I sure wouldn't mind getting another short-fat something or other.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanna buy a 7mm saum?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's the one I'm thinking of the answer is YES.
Set me up on a layaway plan...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,196 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.