Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey gang,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried that buck jam instant mineral stuff for deer?
I picked up a jug of it in the apple flavor at sportsmans to see how it worked on coues and Mule deer.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions of other deer stuff i.e. deer co cain, c'mere deer ect.?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
it's delicious but it goes right through me.

if you bait them with a scent enhanced atractant like that then have the ground salted besides they will keep coming back for the salt long after the buck jelly is gone.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
it's delicious but it goes right through me.
Lol, Gives you the runs huh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WOw, didn't know you could bait in AZ. Cmere deer has done well with others around here, I bought some on closeout at wally world and can't say, by the time I got to use it the rats in the barn had chewed into and ate all of it up....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well, it's tempting, sure smells good grin

I've used it before and the deer do scarf it up & they spend some time licking away at those spots. The tracks in the area i've used it tell that tale.

so I know it works, and it may be of help set up within shooting range of a blind or stand because I tend to think they cant walk past it without slickin away at it.

I've had better luck pouring it into old stumps. seems to last better than just dumping it on the ground.

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good way to get rid of those unwanted tree stumps too.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
no neutritional value in the stuff so we can even use it in MN here.

considered an atractant rather than feed.... even though they eat it grin go figure.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Tom264
Good way to get rid of those unwanted tree stumps too.

for sure, they tear it up.

I like to find a really old punky stump that will soak it up.

Something clever here.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep it's good here in AZ. If I recall the only game animal you can't bait in AZ is bears (and maybe Mt Lions). Other than that you can bait everything else.

I am planning on setting it out the day or night before archery season and getting to my ground blind well before sunup.
was planning to build my blind close to an old stump and in decent cover. I was hoping to pour that stuff 25 to 35 yards from the blind on the ground and on the stump(s) In an area where I have found a big buck and some nice ones. The only concern I have are the Javelina. I am not sure if they'll eat that stuff up before the deer get to it.

Am I setting it out too late, or am I setting it out with decent timing?
I am new to this ground blind/stump thing. Usually I spot and stalk. So any advice/help is appreciated.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mulies or Coues?

Either way I think you need to set it out earlier.

IC B3

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Primarily Coues. But I was thinking if it worked, I might try it on mulies. Then again the areas I am hunting I can often glass both. But in this case, the buck I am after is a coues whitetail.
How much earlier? a week? Two weeks? I just don't want them to run out or hit it once and not hit it again.

Enrique O. Ramirez

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
my only worry with starting early is you might teach them little oinkers to like it, but i tend to agree you gotta start earlier.

maybe 4 days?

maybe a week? dump a 3rd of the jug, then check it in like 3 days, freshen it up, then dump the rest the day before opener?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well I would say a coues would not be much different than our whitetail other than where they live but, I would put it out (this is just me now) about 2 weeks prior so they discover it and start to come to it more often, thus creating a pattern.

Just dont let it run out.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
See thats what i do up here by the canoodian border in MN, I start weeks ahead & then I'll pour a can (pound) of mortons table salt there every now & then so there is something on the spot & i'll sweeten it up with the buck jam every now & then.

Something clever here.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The hunt starts the 21st. So Tomorrow I am going to go set up my blind. After I get it set I might dump out maybe a quarter of it on the ground and any stump or wood I can find.
Next week dump another quarter if it looks like I am getting activity. Or dump it on another area and build a second stand.
Depending on what happens and the sign I see. I'll dump the rest the day before the hunt.
Does that sound like it would work? Maybe add some salt on ther too?

The Blind I am building tomorrow will be elevated above the flat where I will set the bait. I hope that will help. Now I can just pray that the javelina stay away from it enough for me to get my buck in.

Well its off to go search for a trail cam.

Enrique O. Ramirez

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
trail cams is addicting. grin

Something clever here.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever use or try the Tasco trail cams? I seem a 3.0MP trail cam by tasco at wally world for 79 bucks and a Bushnell for 99 or 149 for the IR.

Enrique O. Ramirez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Never used it, but it sure smells nice. I'm guessing Dave will put in on my pancakes soon enough. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL.....It's good on chicken, but it made my face break out.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by gunnut308
LOL.....It's good on chicken, but it made my face break out.

:Laugh: that's funny!!

Enrique, i only have one trail cam so far but it's in the price range you are talking about with those.

Mine is a wildview with a flash & an SD card slot.

I think as long as you've got an SD card slot you'll be fine.

then pick up 2 small cards like 1GB & swap them out when you check the cam. You can review the pics in the field with a digital cam that uses the same memory card. SD seems to be the most popular these days.

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.