Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Doc,I hope the sheep gods are good to ya.
Good luck, RS

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don, best of luck in the Yukon and I recall your troubles with the "little Napolean" guide with Stan a couple of years back. Most of all stay safe and the 40"+ will come.

Look forward to your return and enjoy some of that beautiful country for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by docdb
24hour fellas,
I'm so hesitant posting about a sheep hunt in these economic condtions..............it's hurtin here, too. I've made hunt deposits, but have kids in college, mortagages, debt, etc. I've decided to just not think about all the possible misery, and just blast up into Canada on an adventure that I THINK I can afford, and have been paying for over three years. I'll post pictures liberally and much prose will follow. To the depth of my being, I believe I'd enjoy myself more if some of you could go along. Sometimes it's lonely being the only Atlanta doctor in the mountains anywhere..........
Don

Don't feel bad. If you can afford it, go for it. It's called capitalism. If you were told you can't go because others can't afford to, that would be communism. Besides, your deposits probably aren't refundable?

Enjoy your trip and post your results.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds awesome doc, I would love to be able to go on that trip. Guess I'll just have to settle for your pictures and story and hunting deer and elk here.

I'll be pulling for you for sure.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You campfire guys are the best! Thanks for the kind words! I put a deposit in on a Belgian Sheepdog puppy, and as fate would have it, picked it up this weekend. I am leaving more for the wife to do in my absence, I'm afraid. I'm a lucky man to have her.
Don

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd definately not take the 10X25 binoculars. Way too much image shake to be useful. If you insist on a pocket model, I'd do an 8X20 or even less magnification.
The rest of it sounds good to me.
Sounds like a wonderful adventure. Do take lots of photos. A classic dream hunt of the highest order. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff. What do you estimate (never mind, I'm sure you know exactly) your pack weight will be on the way in?

Hope it's a great trip, and your pack on the way out is heavier than on the way in.

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think that the whole load with water and food should be right at 50lbs, including rifle and ammo. I do the ultralight stuff around here, but there is too much at stake and no one to borrow food from to go truly ultralight.
Don

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by docdb
24hour fellas,
I'm so hesitant posting about a sheep hunt in these economic condtions..............it's hurtin here, too. I've made hunt deposits, but have kids in college, mortagages, debt, etc. I've decided to just not think about all the possible misery, and just blast up into Canada on an adventure that I THINK I can afford, and have been paying for over three years. I'll post pictures liberally and much prose will follow. To the depth of my being, I believe I'd enjoy myself more if some of you could go along. Sometimes it's lonely being the only Atlanta doctor in the mountains anywhere..........
Don

Hey Doc, I know exactly how you feel. I'm having a little guilt about the cost of a upcoming trip with the slow economy at this time. But, I am reminded by friends that I have chose to spend the money I have earned on what I wanted. The same freedom anyone else has.
I am glad you are sharing your experiences here for us all to follow.
THANKS!!

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BTW, I've listed everything that's going on the plane with me, it ain't the same as everything going up the mountain. Like E said about those 10X25's; I'll probably be thinking and rethinking that for these next two weeks......who knows what I'll finally decide. I'll leave some stuff at camp just in case (like the second box of ammo); sometimes the guide will look at something and nix it. I do like to be comfortable, and I've worked hard to be in shape for it.
Don

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck Doc. Get a big one!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Bigd7378, Anaconda, boatboy, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,537
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.