NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3250025 - 08/23/09 Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII
Landrum Offline
Campfire Regular

Have any of you ordered a rifle from them yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Landrum

RV 728 BP
#3252265 - 08/24/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Landrum]
Landrum Offline
Campfire Regular

I guess that about sums it up. Over 24 hours on the board and no responses. Not surprising, I guess. A semi-custom rifle based on a Savage action isn't exactly the stuff of legends. However, I thought that maybe someone knew someone who had taken the plunge.

Landrum

#3252287 - 08/24/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Landrum]
shootinurse Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: northcentral PA
Our own Mule Deer seems to think pretty highly of his 6.5/06, and Stan Trzoniec likes his .22-250. I may have to do one, once I get caught up on my projects.

"Sometimes I wonder about people who have never hunted or fished. What do they do for memories?"
Pat McManus

#3252312 - 08/24/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: shootinurse]
panhandle Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Post Falls, Idaho
Most of the people on the campfire have a well padded bank account and only buy the best. Or, at least they talk like they do.

#3252357 - 08/24/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: panhandle]
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: TX
The Gun Nut Blog on F&S has covered this rifle quite a bit and IIRC the turn around time is around 6 months. I have been thinking about ordering one in 450 Marlin, but have to wait until November to actually order it. Mr. Petzal seems really pleased with his in 30-06.

#3252570 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: ccd]
BullGoose Offline

Loc: South Dakota, USA
While I have no experience with them, I really like the concept. That a rifle could be ordered for a reasonable price in such a variety of chamberings tweaks the "what if" nerve in the back of my head. Actually, I would rather that the Savage action come complete with the barrel nut. That formerly ugly nut is one of the reasons a guy could trust Savage rifles to be so darn accurate.

CCD, I am glad your considering a 450 Marlin bolt gun. The Marlin round really seems to be a natural for a 21" barreled bolt gun with a low power scope and back-up peeps. I always thought it would be a dandy compliment to my 350 RemMag. After that, a trim 6.5 RemMag with 26" barrel to round out the group.

Edited by BullGoose (08/25/09)

#3253074 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Landrum]
4xbear Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Occupied California
I don't have one of their rifles but I do have two rifles that they re-barreled for me and both shoot sub moa at least for three shots for one and my 35 Whelen will do it for five shot groups. Fouling is not an issue and the workmanship is good. I had Shaw refinish both barreled actions and their matt blue is very nice. Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Endowment Member

#3254124 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: 4xbear]
atkinsonhunting Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Filer, Idaho, USA
they send out good ones and bad ones, its a crapshoot and in barrels you get what you pay for..I use expensive Lothar barrels and they have all been beyond excellent..If I am going to the expense of rebarreling, the barrel is the last place I try to save money...I have had about 6 or 7 Shaw barrels, 2 of them suited me.
208-326-4120

#3254161 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: atkinsonhunting]
Paradiddle Offline
Campfire Regular

I contacted them for a quote a couple months ago. I wanted a 6.5 Swede. I asked for a basic rifle, blued, walnut stock, in 6.5 - cost was in the $700 range which is fantastic for a semi-custom rifle but turnaround was close to 11 months. That doesn't help my deep gun addiction and the need to own things now.

I may still order one - because that is my favorite caliber and you can't get much off the shelf.

F&S (Petzel) just listed it as their best value/favorite rifle for 2009 - he loves his Shaw.

#3254241 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Paradiddle]
CZ550 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canad...
Why would you want a Shaw barrel on your Savage when the Savage barrel is one of the most consistently accurate on the market?

I just finished shooting a three-shot group into .4375" at 100 yds from my Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag! That's three shots over 3 weeks... one shot per week into the same target, with all the variables that go into dealing with moods, temp and wind over that long period.

The load was 75.5grs RL22, Rem brass, WLRM primers and 180 NP's. MV = 3010 fps.

My Savage is a bottom-end 111 with matt finish and a black syn stock. It doesn't even have the AccuTrigger or AccuStock, though it is pillar bedded and I adjusted the trigger to about 3 lbs.

The scope is no jewel either - a silver 3 - 9X40mm Bushnell Elite (I've had a few of 'em and they work just fine!)

That load will kill anything in North America, and most other big game in the world as well. It is a joy to tote and I don't worry about dings, scrapes or dents. grin

I guess some people just like to spend money on a name though the product may be inferior to the one it replaced. wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I payed $375 CDN for it one year ago and put a scope on it replacing the crappy Simmons, which I already had in my possession.

-- Harlan Ellison

#3254274 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: CZ550]
BasicBeer Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Pacific Northwest, in the Cold...
Originally Posted By: CZ550
Why would you want a Shaw barrel on your Savage when the Savage barrel is one of the most consistently accurate on the market?

Because Savage doesn't offer rifles in some calibers?

#3254384 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: CZ550]
Paradiddle Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: CZ550

I just finished shooting a three-shot group into .4375" at 100 yds from my Savage 111 in 300 Win Mag! That's three shots over 3 weeks... one shot per week into the same target, with all the variables that go into dealing with moods, temp and wind over that long period.

The load was 75.5grs RL22, Rem brass, WLRM primers and 180 NP's. MV = 3010 fps.

My Savage is a bottom-end 111 with matt finish and a black syn stock. It doesn't even have the AccuTrigger or AccuStock, though it is pillar bedded and I adjusted the trigger to about 3 lbs.

The scope is no jewel either - a silver 3 - 9X40mm Bushnell Elite (I've had a few of 'em and they work just fine!)

That load will kill anything in North America, and most other big game in the world as well. It is a joy to tote and I don't worry about dings, scrapes or dents. grin

I guess some people just like to spend money on a name though the product may be inferior to the one it replaced. wink

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I payed $375 CDN for it one year ago and put a scope on it replacing the crappy Simmons, which I already had in my possession.

When I can get a $400 Savage 110 Classic in 6.5x55 Swede tuned, polished, bedded, etc. I'll buy one. Until then - its the least expensive new 6.5 Swede you can get and considering Savage's reputation for accuracy and the great Accutrigger it seems like a good platform to start with.

#3254715 - 08/25/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Paradiddle]
CZ550 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canad...
I asked the question because two standard cartridges - 22-250 and 30-06 - were mentioned in this thread! I understand if you're discussing cartridges not chambered by Savage, but that didn't seem to be exclusively so! And I still fail to comprehend the rationale of switching barrels in a common cartridge unless it's for the prestige of the E.R. Shaw name.

The action on my Savage is as slick as any bolt action I've owned, and a lot slicker than most. Much more so than my CZ, a couple of Winchesters, Brownings, Sakos, Mausers, etc. But to each his/her own... I'm not judging... just asking. Thanks anyway for your opinions and replies. smile

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

-- Harlan Ellison

#3254836 - 08/26/09 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: CZ550]
metricman Offline

that's what i call allowing adequate barrel cooling time

#3807979 - 02/17/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: metricman]
Lawdwaz Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: WNY
Anybody place an order for one of these??

#3808320 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Lawdwaz]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
A few comments:

While Savage factory rifles do shoot, I would say this is despite their barrels, rather than because of them. I have seen several Savage barrels that were incredibly rough and really fouled. This certainly isn't the instance with all of them, but it happens more than occasionally. In fact, I shot a brand new Savage .243 last year that had reamer marks all the way down the bore. I had to applu Ultra Bore Coat before it would group more than 10 shots before getting so fouled that it the groups opened up to 1-1/2 to 2".

I have also owned a heavy-barreled Savage .22-250 that shifted point of impact over an inch at 100 yards after the barrel heated up. This is not good when shooting prairie dogs.

All the E.R. Shaw barrels I have seen since they retooled a few years ago have been pretty darn smooth, with little tendency to foul. By the way, when I'm talking about the roughness of bores, I;m not just talked from the experience of cleaning, but looking througha bore-scope.

The Savage actions on the Shaw rifles have all been blueprinted at the E.R. Shaw factory.

Savages are good rifles, but the E.R. Shaw rifle is a step up, especially if you want a rifle for a cartridge Savage doesn't chamber.

"Gunwriters, as you know, aren't as informed as their readers are and if it wasn't for the readers, there would be no need for writers..."--Shrapnel, May 2015

#3809025 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Mule Deer]
nsaqam Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Hermantown MN
Another reason to get the Shaw is that they don't have that ugly barrel nut.

#3809209 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: nsaqam]
BarryC Offline
Campfire Outfitter

What benchrest match has a Shaw barrel won lately?

- Theodore Dalrymple

#3809336 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: BarryC]
battue Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: outside the burgh
English Pointers win the National Pointing Dog Championship almost exclusively. Doesn't mean you can't get an excellent, Setter, Britteny, Springer, etc to hunt with.

Edited by battue (02/18/10)

#3809404 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: BarryC]
himmelrr Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: NW Georgia
Originally Posted By: BarryC
What benchrest match has a Shaw barrel won lately?

He is not looking for a benchrest rifle. Apples and Oranges my friend.

RH

#3809456 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Landrum]
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NE
When JB wrote up his 6.5-06 in Rifle or Handloader, I thought that I'd order a MK7 and give it a try. I tried and tried and tried to buy 1, but Shaw's web site didn't have a menu to order from and the customer service guy who I emailed with didn't seem to care if I bought a rifle or not. Here I was, trying to buy a product from them and they didn't seem to give a phuck, so I figured that once they had my $$, they would even care less, if less was even possible.

Based on my experience, it appears to me that E.R. Shaw has made a half-assed commitment, IOW almost NO commitment, to the rifle business. If so, why would I buy from them or recommend that anyone buy from them? Maybe my experience was unique or maybe I'm thin-skinned or maybe Shaw needs to hire somebody who knows the gun business. I do know that they won't be cashing any of my checks anytime soon.

Jeff

#3809663 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: 260Remguy]
battue Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: outside the burgh
Jeff,

Shaw is only about 20mi from me. The Savage format is one that I don't find attractive, however we have all seen more than a couple that were great shooters.

They used to be a little backroom gunsmith business. In the last few years their business has grown considerably along with the type of work they do. The MK7 is but one example.

They are still essentially a small gunsmith business and are someplace on the growth learning curve. No excuses for them, but I have a feeling of what is going on down there. Then again it just may be a Burgh thang. Also wouldn't be the first GS I've come across who was short on proper phone/email etiquette.

Again, Shaw is not some big rifle company with all the bells, whistles and employee training programs. More like a mom and pop rifle company. You possibly already knew that, but if not just some background.

Addition: The Savage format is one that has a reputation of accuracy. If that is what I was after, and could get it for just over $600 dollars, I would be willing to compromise on some of the other friendly extras. Ever dealt with Browning?

Edited by battue (02/18/10)

#3809669 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: Mule Deer]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I seem to recall that a few years ago I read articles touting how Savage had tightened quality control and was producing their own excellent barrels.

What happened?

Paul

#3810102 - 02/18/10 Re: Pros and Cons of E.R. Shaw Mark VII [Re: battue]
260Remguy Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NE
There have been a lot of small rifle builders come and go, so Shaw might find that they can't reach a sustained volume of production that is high enough to at least break even financially.

I think that it is very hard to try and order a MK7, as there isn't any menu to work off, just a big list of possibles and while the barreled action might be OK, the stocks look pretty cheesey to me. When I was trying to order a MK7 rifle, I asked if I could just order the barreled action and have the stock value discounted from the total price, but that wasn't an option. When you place an order for a McMillan stock, you know what you've contracted for and if it arrives with differences you can work with McM to get it right. I don't feel comfortable with the MK7 ordering process, too much ambiguity for me.

I don't have any skin in this game, but I am a guy who regularly spends $25K per year on shooting sports equipement and I can't see any portion of that going to Shaw anytime soon.

I have never dealt with Browning on repairs, but have been happy with my parts orders from their operation in Arnold, MO. My interest in Browning rifles pretty much ended when FN stopped making them and I'm generally a Remington 870,1100, and 3200 shotgun shooter, with the odd SKB thrown into the sporting clays mix.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
499 registered (204guy, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 1sgLunde, 56 invisible), 1237 Guests and 371 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,440 Registered Members
72 Forums
691,744 Topics
9,994,914 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.