-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For just deer hunting, I'd go with the cheaper Corelokt. Either bullet should perform fine At .308 velocities, I'd say shot placement would be more important than the bullet.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Syncerus
I've shot clean through two hogs with my .308 using factory 180 gr Federal el cheapo Wal-mart ammo.

To clarify, I've shot though a number of hogs with that load; the time I was describing, two pigs were lined up and the bullet completely passed through them both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not going to matter much if at all, it pretty much depends on if you handload or not. Nosler Partitions are the bullet of choice for me and my hunting. The half dozen you might go and shoot during a hunting season, is a minor cost when you think about it. Use other bullets for target shooting. I am a lazy sort, I like one bullet weight for all my hunting in a given rifle, less fussing around and more hunting for me.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am certainly no gun writer with my only hunting experiences involving deer (and hogs, if the opportunity ever presents itself). I also do not have the extensive experience that some (if not all) of the posters have. With this being said, I do know of 1 hunting trip, when the 308 Nosler Partition apparently did not acquit itself well on deer (small Alabama deer at that). I say "apparently" because I was not in the same blind as the individual involved. I only had his word as to what happened. This happened a few years ago at the hunting property owned by the owner of the company at which I was working. There were about 6 company employees (of which I was one)there for a 4-day hunt. The property had hunting stands overlooking food plots (evening hunts), as well as ladder stands overlooking travel routes (morning hunts). One of our employees was an avid hunter. He had been on several elk hunting trips and many deer hunting trips. On this trip he was using a Model 7 in 308 and the Federal Premium 180 gr Partition factory load. During the first 2 days, he lost 2 deer, which he claims he hit but they ran away. The range both times was within 50 yards (according to him). We did find a little blood but not 1 of those deer. The hunting guides were ready to tar and feather him. He resighted in his rifle and it was on target. One of the other guys also had a 308 and offered him some factory core-loct ammo (can't remember what grain bullet), which he used to resight in his rifle. After this, over the next 2 days he got 3 deer, which dropped close to where he hit them. I realize 1 incident does not in any way set a precedent, especially with all the good reports about the 180 Partition's performance in the 308. Perhaps the small deer, the heavy for caliber bullet and the Partition's toughness all conspired against success in this case. I don't know for sure and never will. However, I was sufficiently impressed so that, if I ever do use a 308 for deer hunting, it won't be with the 180 Partition. Now, if I ever get lucky enough to hunt larger game animals, then I would not hesitate to use it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BMT Was that huge hog in Oregon or were you hunting elsewhere?
Thanks NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well I guess the real question is are Partitions needed at the 2600 fps realm.

No it's like thinking you need a Rolls Royce to go to the grocery store.

I think a Rolls Royce is a bit much, the partition is more like a nice Lexus grin

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A Lexus in which the nose is designed to fall off if it hits something.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by northcountry
BMT Was that huge hog in Oregon or were you hunting elsewhere?
Thanks NC

Northern California, Colusa County.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
A Lexus in which the nose is designed to fall off if it hits something.

LMAO! grin

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
"During the first 2 days, he lost 2 deer, which he claims he hit but they ran away. The range both times was within 50 yards (according to him). We did find a little blood but not 1 of those deer. "

Everyone has stories of , or experienced themselves firsthand, lost game where some blood was found. I suspect either the shooter in your story missed, poor shot placement, or a combination with poor hunting skills thrown in the mix. Poking holes in deer and loosing them I suspect has little to do with the bullet performance. Even if the 30 cal bullets didn't expand any decent hit would result in a dead deer found with proper looking.

I have only killed 13 deer, and 2 were difficult to trail. Bullet performance is less important than bullet placement. I would try both style bullets and choose the more accurate one vs performance claims of said bullets. That said, I try Nosler partitions in my hunting rifles, and all have shot well enough. I have shot 3 deer since going away from Sierra and Hornady bullets, and have seen no difference, but I haven't really tested them by breaking major bone structure.

Good information stated above, plenty to help you choose which direction to lean towards. I do suggest the 165's for 308 velocities over the 180 , but you need to run the ballistics tables at 308 velocities to see which performs better. I was surprised at the 165 vs 180 Partition ballistics at 300 wby velocities.... 180 has an advantage for long shooting.

Allen

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loaded 150gr and 165gr Hot Cors for various 30-06s for years, never any problems. They're inexpensive, shoot well and have done the job on dozens of deer.

One of my farmboy cousins dumped a mess of deer with those Speer loads of mine, then a huntin' bud of mine started buying him green box 150gr Core Lokts every year for deer season. He's thumped a few dozen deer with them, too.

I asked him a few years ago, if he thought "today's" Core Lokts were as good as they were 20 years ago. Got pretty much got the same look from him, as if I'd asked him to explain the theory of relativity. Took it to mean he still thinks Core Lokts are okay. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like 150gr bullets for the .308, personally...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.