Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1371 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine is heading to A-stan and is looking for a camera that can survive a little abuse but still be capable of taking quality shots of landscape and the locals.

Is a digital SLR the right direction?

What would you bring?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Digital is very good IF he has computer access to download the photos to disk or one of those data storage devices. He'll need a good card reader, too. Also, he needs to consider the durability of the cards. I have an SLR that uses CF cards. The card is very tough, but the pins on the camera and computer are thin and can bend. I've had problems with readers with bent pins and reading the cards. I don't recommend it in tough situations. The xD is indestructible although much slower. There are others, too, that can take considerable abuse.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
1371 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the advice.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a little experience with cameras in less than wonderful conditions. As a professionbalk photo-journalist I used Leica and Nikon cameras for decades and both served well, but required routinr revolving maintenance to get them clean enough to work all t5he time, every time.

I "discovered" a wonderful "HARD DUTY" camera that has never failed me, but it is NOT for everyone. The Nikonos underwater camera used by scuba divers is almost indestructible. It is water and airtight, therefore dust, dirt, blood, and swamp tight. If it gets dusty or covered with sand or ANY other crap just wash it down in a stream, cabnal, or a pool of water and let it dry before you open it up. Fast, easy, and almost impossible to screw up. I have owned three and all three ALWAYS worked.

The down side is that there is no range finder, as there is in a Leica rangefinder camera, and there is no "reflex viewing" through the lens as would normally be found on my ancient Nikon F SLR cameras. You simply look through the viewfinder, estimate the distance, set the distance on the lens and pull the shutter trigger (Yep, it actually works sorta like a trigger.)

You could probably find one of these lovlies CHEAP on-line, or through Lens and Repro in NYC - I did. And by cheap I mean around $300.00 in EXCELLENT condition.

IMHO the best reasons to use the Nikonos in hostile territory are as follows:

- Rugged beyond anything else readily available.
- Light and easy to use.
- Airtight.
- NO BATTEREIES required.
- Great optics.
- Close to idiot proof (I used one and still do regularly.)

Hope this is helpful.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The best bet would be either the Olympus SW series, can be dropped and drowned or the new Canon D10, same features
I am in all day. Feel free to call me with any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carried my Nikon D-50 when deployed. Worked flawlessly. Get a couple extra storage cards to go as well. Changing of lenses was a pain, but no point and shoot is going to give you the magnification.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in A-stan now. I carry a Pentax Optio E60 in my pocket on a daily basis. I has worked like a champ and is easy to deploy. It would be nice if it had a little more magnification. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if it's right for your needs but I have a Canon DSLR for sale here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...anon_DSLR_Camera_Accessories#Post3199321

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Before I bought a small digital camera, I asked a bunch of gun writers. Many of them used the Nikon Coolpix as their pocket camera, so I bought one. I use it in some tough weather, on construction projects, camping, hunting, and fishing.

I protect it with a soft carry case for my belt, with extra batteries.
I also use a padded Otterbox which is totally water and dustproof, and will float with the camera in it. $20.00 at a camping store.

Wal-Mart sells for $6.00, in the camping aisle, a waterproof clear plastic box that is large enough for 3 cameras, cell phone, etc. I put my wallet, camera, cell phone in there when on the boat.

CaseLogic makes a small clamshell case with some padding inside, and zipper closure, that will protect the camera from rain and dust, and will fit in a shirt or pants pocket. Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, Office Max, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have this camera. I highly recommend it. Fits in shirt pocket. WP.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W60_-_Silver/

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Digital is very good IF he has computer access to download the photos to disk or one of those data storage devices.

Why "if" he has a computer? What's the alternative? Film?

He can put hundreds of images on a CF or SD card and never look at them, just the same as film which has fewer exposures and greater risk of loss.

The cards take up much less space too.

Brian

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Pentax Optio. SANDPROOF! (I know this first hand...)

Become one with nature, then marinate it!
http://windrockphotography.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.