-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy of mine did tons of research on consumer sites, looking at reliability ratings and repair/recall records of all trucks. He was originally thinking of getting a Tundra or a Tacoma, as he is a big Toyota fan, and has had a number of Corollas for his wife and a couple of older Tacomas himself. He says that there have been a number of problems with the newer Tacomas, and transmission difficulties with the Tundras. According to his research, the most reliable trucks are all smaller ones: the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series, the Nissan Frontier, and the Honda Ridgeline. He says that the big Fords, GM's, Dodges, Toyota are all average at best, and that the Nissan Titan is well below average in reliability.

I've had two F150's and liked them both. The first one was very reliable; I had no problems whatsoever. The second one has been good, but I did blow a spark plug out through the head cover (a fault that is common with the 4.6 litre engine).

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_G
transmission difficulties with the Tundras.
The transmission "difficulties" were confined to the 2007 model year 5.7 4x4 Tundras only, not the 5.7 4x2, 4.7 4x4, etc.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rolled 160k on the Tacoma today. All I ever put into it was a battery and muffler. Did an IAC valve as well. So about 300 bucks.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
I now have 75 K on it and just stopped to check on replacing the timing belt, required at 90K. Bout fell over as it will be a 700.00 item.

Lots of stuff to pull off to get to that belt, that is what you were paying for, not the belt.

On some engines, the pistons will hit the valves if they're open. A broken belt can be FAR more expensive than a new one that appears to have some life left in it. I much prefer a chain. It might be noisier when it gets old but I've never heard of one breaking.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've went Toyota to Chevy to Toyota to Chevy for a few trucks now.
4 Runners, Silverados, Avalanche, older Blazers etc. The last while not a truck is a used 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. While all have had little extra maintenance the Toyota is the hands down winner.

This FJ is one stout well done machine that I think you will have to work at to break.

Last edited by battue; 09/03/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
On some engines, the pistons will hit the valves if they're open. A broken belt can be FAR more expensive than a new one that appears to have some life left in it. I much prefer a chain. It might be noisier when it gets old but I've never heard of one breaking.

Toyota s are a non issue with the timing belt. If it breaks just get it replaced and move on. Timing belt on my wifes Avalon was 180 bucks and it s tranverse front wheel drive and not easy to get to. I would shop those prices around 770 for a belt seems pretty high

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 09/03/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Those dang mufflers will get you every time. grin

My Tundra has been good so far. It is an 06 model, so not the big new ones. It has 50K on it and hope to keep it for a while yet.

The heater fan squeaks sometimes. that is it so far. I keep waiting for something, because there is always something.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah but the local charged me 70 bucks for it. I've replaced it twice - for free under warranty.

Me

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by teal
Rolled 160k on the Tacoma today. All I ever put into it was a battery and muffler. Did an IAC valve as well. So about 300 bucks.

My '99 Tacoma was a manual transmission extended cab 4WD and I rode that thing HARD. I sold it back due under the frame recall and while I like my new truck, those older Toyotas are MUCH tougher trucks IMO.

To Toyota's credit, at least they stood behind their product (voluntarily) which is more than I can say for most.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy the older 4 door version of the Tacoma w/ a manual transmission or go with a Ford F-?50 and save the $$.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone has their own horror stories and some good ones too about their vehicles. My 2000 GMC full size has been wonderful.. Just runs. Had it since new. Replaced battery, tires, and last year had the shop class at the HS I teach at check it out and they replaced the serpentine belt and a power window motor.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummmmmmmm folks! It's like this at our house, we will NOT purchase any of those foreign vehicles period. Now my trucks are a 1-ton 4x4 ext cab Ford and Ford F-250 2 x 4 1986 with low miles.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just wondering what your definition of a 'foreign' truck is. Is a Toyota made in the U.S.A. a foreign truck, but a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy made in Mexico or Canada is not a 'foreign' truck. Wow. I must be missing something here. Double WOW! I just have a hard time understanding how anything made in America is considered FOREIGN. Like Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles made in America, by Americans, for Americans. Americans who are making a good living working in those 'Foreign' factorys in the good ole U. S. of A.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hunter01
Just wondering what your definition of a 'foreign' truck is. Is a Toyota made in the U.S.A. a foreign truck, but a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy made in Mexico or Canada is not a 'foreign' truck. Wow. I must be missing something here. Double WOW! I just have a hard time understanding how anything made in America is considered FOREIGN. Like Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota vehicles made in America, by Americans, for Americans. Americans who are making a good living working in those 'Foreign' factorys in the good ole U. S. of A.
My last Ford had an engine made in Canada, the transmission was made in Japan, and the electrical system was made in Brazil. Final assembly was in Claycomo, Missouri. My Tundra has an engine made in the U.S.A., a transmission made in the U.S.A., and was assembled in San Antonio, Texas. That seems a little more "American" than that Ford was.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So far about the only thing on my Ford ranger that says made in U.S.A is the cigarette lighter. Pretty sad IMO.

Bout as sad as people talking up thier american made D-max chevys. Until they find out who make that motor.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ford is an American company.
GM is an American company.
Chrysler is an American company.

They are an integral part of America's economy, and now my tax dollars help to support them in a bad time.

Toyota, last time I looked, was an Asian company.

While I wish the Big 3 did all of their assembly here in the US, and Toyota et al did all of their assembly in Japan, I realize there are cost advantages to doing what they are doing.

Until Toyota is bought by American interests, and pays all of its taxes in the USA, and becomes an American company, you won't find one of those Fugly Tundras in my garage. Or my family's garages. Or my neighbors. Or my friends. Ever.

Happy Labor Day all!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn

They are an integral part of America's economy, and now my tax dollars help to support them in a bad time.

While I wish the Big 3 did all of their assembly here in the US, and Toyota et al did all of their assembly in Japan, I realize there are cost advantages to doing what they are doing.

Until Toyota is bought by American interests, and pays all of its taxes in the USA, and becomes an American company, you won't find one of those Fugly Tundras in my garage. Or my family's garages. Or my neighbors. Or my friends. Ever.

Happy Labor Day all!!
Ford is a company traded internationally with foreign investment. They also own foreign assets.
GM is a company traded internationally with foreign investment. They also own foreign assets.
Chrysler is a company traded internationally with foreign investment. They also own foreign assets.

Toyota owns several factories here in the U.S.A. They pay taxes on those factories. They employ American workers. They also provide significant investment to U.S. parts suppliers.

Are you able to understand any of that?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

That employs over 100,000 workers and not like GM and Chrysler that are losing workers or sending jobs overseas.

WOW that is some global perspective. Are you aware that Toyota,Nissan,BMW,Mercedes,Hyundai,Subaru and Kia have substantial investments in the US? Last time i checked they didn't layoff their American employees but the "American" companies did. Your statement is laughable.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Happy Labor Day all!!

i agree 100% when you buy a american auto the profit helps us not some foriegn company. most americans could care less what happens to the big 3,then they'll cry like babies when the economy gets worse.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quotei agree 100% when you buy a american auto the profit helps us not some foriegn company. most americans could care less what happens to the big 3,then they'll cry like babies when the economy gets worse. ] [/quote]

In the case of GM and Chrysler where did this profit go? Into the pockets of overrated CEO's who squandered it. Didn't you hear we bailed out the big 2 . What are GM's future plans ramp up production in China. Nothing about building up the auto industry here like they really give a crap about doing that. Do you think the profits they make there are coming back here with a 35% tax rate in this country? Get Real

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last time I heard, the two Stillwater Mines here in south-central MT were the only producers of platinum group metals in the U.S. Stillwater Mine is owned by Norelsk Nickel but the mines have pumped a lot of money into my local economy. Kind of like Toyota, Honda, etc. GM had a contract with Stillwater Mine until GM recently cancelled it. GM apparently has no concern for the local/U.S. economy, so why should I or anyone else care about their well-being? If they're looking for every chance to source their supplies/products from other countries, how much is there to really lose?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2500HD, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,000 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,575
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.