Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Of course I own a Encore frame and a couple years ago I had Bullberry perform a very good trigger job for it (1.5lbs).

Im tired of try to "chase" accuracy out of it with a muzzleloader barrel. One day it shoots great the next day it shoots 3-4" off were I sighted it in at.

Ive been in the market for a slug gun for a while now. My number one choice wasa the HR ultra slugger or the savage 210 bolt action. At first I was wanting a 12ga but then I noticed the 20ga that Hastings makes which is a 3.5" slug thats more powerful than a 3" 12ga and is very accurate to boot. Hastings chambers the HR ultra slugger in it but a couple things was holding me back. The first is a co-worker of mine had a ultra slugger in 12ga that wasnt very accurate at all which is quite weird since most are very, very accurate. The second was the trigger, which in a hands of a good smith could probley be tuned down to 2.5-3lbs or so but not like the one ive got in my Encore.

This brings me to yesterday. For the heck of it I called Bullberry to inquire if they even made a slug barrel at all. I talked to Fred and he said, Ive got a couple in stock now in 20ga made specially for the 3.5" Hastings slugs!!!!! I said, "Thats exactly what I was looking for!!" So he only had 1 left and that was all he was gonna build as well so I bought it. Fred also said the barrels were specially brought in and are a very high grade in tolerances. The barrel specs 1" all the way to the end so I ordered it in 25-26". It will also had a hanger bar system, rynite forend, and the 6 screw weaver base. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with. I cant wait to try it out. I should shoot really good!! Watch out deer! grin

GB1

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
BTW on the slugs. When a slug says 2000fps, that was produced in a test barrel that was longer than the usual slug barrel. The Hastings slugs velocity was produced in a 24" barrel. So when it says it will push a 410gr bullet at 2000fps that what it will do in real world situations.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bullberry makes excellent barrels and my only complaint would be that Fred has no sense of time. My first barrel took nine months and two days to get to me. He told me 4 months when I ordered it.
He uses Shilen blanks for his barrels.

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Luckly he was working on the other 2 barrels yesterday and all 3 were already chambered. So according to him he will finish mine with the other two. The only thing that needs done is drill holes for the base, cut and blue it. He said it will be done in a couple weeks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let us know how that works out for ya. Barrels are his specialty, chronology is not. The upside is that once you get it and shoot it you will forget how long you had to wait.

IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by skb2706
Let us know how that works out for ya. Barrels are his specialty, chronology is not. The upside is that once you get it and shoot it you will forget how long you had to wait.

grin

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y'all aren't making me feel too good here. I ordered a complete rifle (Encore) from them at the beginning of May. They assured me that I'd have it mid-August. Knowing how some Smith's can be regarding time, I told them I'd really like to use for an Elk hunt I might get drawn for. They (2 different people) both said mid-August. I was really looking forward to lightening my load a pound or more this year.

Guess I better get the '06 out and blow the dust off her just in case, huh?

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You know what they say....squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call and ask how progress is going and tell them your intentions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by skb2706
You know what they say....squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call and ask how progress is going and tell them your intentions.

I had thought the same thing. But another side of me says to leave it alone, as I don't want a product that was hurried.

However, I think I will give a progress call in the next couple of weeks just to see. And I might reiterate my desired use for the rifle as well.

Jay

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am having Fred build me a stock right now and he has been waiting for me to send him the barrel, I have been waiting for MGM to finish the barrel(Fred will not build a 340 wby Barrel). I do not do well posting pics but from the pics they sent of it in the rough it will be everything Fred promised,and more. I am starting to chomp at the bit as well I have an Elk hunt in Oct this fall. I need time to work up loads.
I have pics if anyone would like I can e-mail them.
These guys do nice work.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
IC B3

M
marku Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well im hoping it will be done by September so at least I have some time to sight it in just to know how it shoots at different distances.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Talked to Jean at Bullberry a week ago Monday. The completion date on my rifle has been pushed back a month. How nice?! So I'm now expecting it in Sept.. But even that date seemed to come with some question on their part.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to getting the rifle. And still impressed with everything I hear about Bullberry, except their lack of any real schedule on purchases. I just wish for once that someone could actually deliver something when they say they can. I called in April and explained what I wanted, and was told mid-August. Then called back 7 days later (1st week in May) and placed the order, and was told mid-August again. Sent the $1200 check the next day. Never got so much as a phone call or email saying they'd received the money. A week later I called just to confirm they had. And it almost made me mad when they told me they had. Still told mid-August for delivery.

Then when i called last week, it has suddenly been pushed back a month. "Just starting Feb orders", I was told. :-{

"Once bitten, twice shy", is all I can say!

Jay

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
email them to
ironsightercatyahoo.com
and I'll put them up here for you!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I called Fred Last week and everyone but him was either sick or on vacation. He told me " The only one left is Fred"
They sent me an e-mail today my stock set is done and enroute it should be here Friday. I will try to post pics or send them to catnthehat

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fred has been much better now that Jean and his daughter are helping him run his show. Believe me, his orders are completed far more timely nowadays than in years past. His work is fantastic, and worth waiting for, based on my experience.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know it would be nice to get it when it was promised. However it will be worth the wait. I have a 25 Bullberry and a 7-30 Waters Improved for my Contender. Both made by Bullberry. When I do my part both are capable of less than a half inch at 100 yards.

Safe Shooting
Doug

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something Better
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by marku
Of course I own a Encore frame and a couple years ago I had Bullberry perform a very good trigger job for it (1.5lbs).

Im tired of try to "chase" accuracy out of it with a muzzleloader barrel. One day it shoots great the next day it shoots 3-4" off were I sighted it in at.

Ive been in the market for a slug gun for a while now. My number one choice wasa the HR ultra slugger or the savage 210 bolt action. At first I was wanting a 12ga but then I noticed the 20ga that Hastings makes which is a 3.5" slug thats more powerful than a 3" 12ga and is very accurate to boot. Hastings chambers the HR ultra slugger in it but a couple things was holding me back. The first is a co-worker of mine had a ultra slugger in 12ga that wasnt very accurate at all which is quite weird since most are very, very accurate. The second was the trigger, which in a hands of a good smith could probley be tuned down to 2.5-3lbs or so but not like the one ive got in my Encore.

This brings me to yesterday. For the heck of it I called Bullberry to inquire if they even made a slug barrel at all. I talked to Fred and he said, Ive got a couple in stock now in 20ga made specially for the 3.5" Hastings slugs!!!!! I said, "Thats exactly what I was looking for!!" So he only had 1 left and that was all he was gonna build as well so I bought it. Fred also said the barrels were specially brought in and are a very high grade in tolerances. The barrel specs 1" all the way to the end so I ordered it in 25-26". It will also had a hanger bar system, rynite forend, and the 6 screw weaver base. So far they've been a pleasure to deal with. I cant wait to try it out. I should shoot really good!! Watch out deer! grin
is this a common problem with their muzzle loaders? I always wondered why I could never get mine sighted in no matter what I tried?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sent my action to Fred to have trigger work done I got it back and WOW what a difference. 2.5# clean break!
I told them it was perfect!
I was left with the impression that September did my trigger. Cheap at any price and I love their work.
My stock set on the .340 is a work of art!
I will be doing more business with Bullberry.
He has a .375 custom barrel in stock I have been trying to figure a way to own.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a t/C prohunter 20 gauge slug barrel that is shooting 1 inch 3 shot at 100 yards groups with my 20 gauge "Reloads". Even I am impressed.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been thinking of getting one of the 20 gauge barrels.. Tell about the reloads?
You like ,ah? I normally hunt with my .50 MZ barrel here in SE Michigan,but sometimes a Slug is handy.Geez..do I miss hunting with my rifles.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.