Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mod7Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did they ever make one? I was at local gunshop and they have one that has a stainless look, but dosent appear to have any coating on it. I didnt think they ever made one in stainless??

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No< there never was one made in stainless. What kind of price did they have on it?

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Mod7Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They were asking $250. It was in great shape amd even the screws looked stainless.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GRAB IT!

No it's not SS. I would guess somebody spent a lot of money on it and had it MP3 coated. Maybe by Robar? I never had any of mine done, but I sure have thought about it.

250.00 would just about cover the cost of having one done. It would give you a rifle that to me would be worth about 650.00.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda got all hot and bothered when I saw the thread title. A 36D in SS would be awful neat, IMO.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3sixbits is right, GRAB IT, and post some pics. That is a HOT DEAL.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Marlin has made some commemorative models that were chrome or nickel plated.

Bruce

Mod7Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I got it, and took it apart. They either must have the best coating in the world, or it came from the factory this way. Every screw, the inside, and all parts are the exact same, no flaws in the stainless look. I am gonna call Marlin and ask them about it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Howdy Mod7nut,

please post some pix of that Marlin!

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Robar

You can look at the above link and read about NP3. It looks like SS but is much better than SS for smooth operation of the action parts and stopping corrosion.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B3

Mod7Nut Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will try to get some pics posted, I dont know whether to sell it or keep it??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut

In the real world, I've never seen one before. Do you really want to sell a rifle you will never see one like again. I'll bet it cost you nothing to keep!

The chance of you finding any 39 at the price you paid for this rifle are low to none. The question for me would be why in the world would I want to sell this one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut

Well if you decide to sell it, you don't have to look any further, I'll buy it.

Tim

Last edited by Glock2240; 01/04/09.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey M7N!

I'm dying to see some pix! quit teasing us! and if you sold it to G2240, then the request moves to him.

Give em up!

-JW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mod7Nut
We're all still waiting on those pics.

Tim

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shook that hook long ago...tasted funny.

-JW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the late 1970's & early '80s there was a gunsmith named Ed House in Richardson Texas - suburb of Dallas - that developed a plating process he called "NiTex". NiTex gave a light satin finish like a modern Stainless gun with a light bead finish on it like mebbe a late model Ruger 77Mk II CF AllWeather, and survived saltwater tests better than anything on the market. He would strip a gun, or any mechanical item, to its basic metal components and then coat it in a set of blueing tanks with a proprietary nickel compound and charge the tank electrically to make the compound bond to every nook & cranny inside and out...it filled in or softened damaged spots or grind marks and was as slick or slicker as high grade Chrome Moly steel in barrel rifling. Colt later gave him a contract to produce the finish on factory new guns and marketed it as "ColtGard" for a number of years...Ed made a fortune until Stainless guns became common and killed the demand. I still think I'd rather have a CM gun with a NiTex finish for weather proofing than some of the softer or more brittle SS's guns I've owned.

That's what this sounds like on the 39D especially if you found in the north Texas or Oklahoma area where Ed had most of his contacts and distribution before Colt swamped him.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wow this was an old revival.

Funny, I was interested in this thread because I now have this Marlin (at least I think I do)

I was trying to figure out the finish on it. Definitely looks bonded, there is some small pitting in a few areas, and looks pretty heavy.

So far it looks great in my cabinet, now I just need to pop it off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.