Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Looking to get either one of these for partridge/grouse. Can't afford a nice O/U yet. Which one would you choose? I've heard one negative with the browning is that it is hard to strip and clean. Any suggestions?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elelbean
Looking to get either one of these for partridge/grouse. Can't afford a nice O/U yet. Which one would you choose?
My leaning would be to the Remington.
I've heard one negative with the browning is that it is hard to strip and clean.
They're easy to strip and clean.. It's the reassembly that's a genuine PITA... Putting one together can cause me to remember several words I thought I had put behind me from my navy days... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington is lighter and simplier, that is the way I would go.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me the two guns fit differently. I shoot the Browning better. I found the stock was too low for me on the Remington. I believe this is called "drop at comb". I want my eyes to be higher in relation to the rib of the gun. Fit is everything when buying the right shotgun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought, but you might also want to consider an Ithaca M37?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The BPS is a great choice, safety is on the top back of the receiver. Out of the box they are slick/smooth to cycle. Triggers are good. To me they are comfortable gun to shoot, the stock is different than an 870.

Have a youth BPS 20g with a limbsaver pad and briley choke tube I bought for the kids a few years back. Glad they grew out of it, makes a great light walking gun for grouse/squirrel around camp!

Last edited by Mikem2; 08/20/09.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have had several wingmasters and have not been disappointed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 20 ga. 870 wingmaster, It is lightweight and overall a great gun. Hard to miss with this one.
I had a bps in 12 ga. and it fit ok,slick action,reliable but was heavy. I have no experience with the BPS 20 but I would go with the remington myself.
I think the remy will hold it's value better and for good reason.

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the 20 ga BPS in the straight-grip/22" barrel version; I find it to be perfect as a traditional bird gun and perfect for a tight cover rabbit gun. Cannot comment on the 20ga/870 as I owned one for a while but never hunted with it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been down this road recently. I had a nice Rem 870 in 20 gauge (not an express). It was slick and reliable (typical 870). It just didn't fit me. The grip was long. The drop at comb was too much. I would find a way to get my right thumb on my nose due to the long grip.

I came across a used BPS in 20 gauge (invector plus, 26" barrel, plain blue receiver-no "engraving" for $265). It fits like a glove. Less drop at comb (higher head position). Grip is more forward (no thumb in face). Well built, smooth action. I really like the tang safety on the BPS (fast), instead of the Remington 870's safety behind the trigger guard. I don't have any issues taking it down, or reassembling it.

I also had a Browning lighting Citori in 20 gauge (28" bbl, inv + chokes). The buttstock on the Citori lightning 20 gauge was too thin for good eye alignment. Once I got the 20 gauge BPS, I sold both the Rem 870 20 gauge, and the 20 gauge Citori. I don't miss either one of them.

The 20 gauge BPS is well balanced, and is MUCH more a smooth swinger than the 12 gauge BPS (which I think is clunky). I'd like to find a rifled slug barrel for the 20 gauge BPS, just to have a "complete outfit" (and also to play/experiment with reloaded slugs).

I do have a 12 gauge Remington 870 magnum express, with a special purpose buttstock (monte carlo stock for less drop at comb). This is my duck/turkey gun. I don't abuse my guns, but I don't mind if this one gets wet, salty or muddy. I like it just fine for those applications.

Whenever I pick up and mount my 20 gauge BPS, it just fits and points for me so effortlessly. It almost is an "ahhhh" type of sensation. Well made. Well designed. It's my "pahtridge" (I live in Maine, and that's what they call grouse)and woodcock gun. I really love it.

One strong vote for the 20 gauge BPS.

Last edited by buttstock; 09/04/09.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.